• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre

lgodinhoramos

On June 5th (next month) I will be starting my "camino" from Saint Jean to Santiago, however I am thinking about the possibility of extending my walk to Finisterre (+90 km). Considering from SJPP to Santiago has 800 km, in 31 days I would be walking on average 26 km a day. Would it be correct to assume that if I walk 29 miles a day I could do the course? From the point of view of the numbers would be that, but I do not know if this applies in real experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking whether you can walk from St. Jean to Finisterre in 31 days if you average 29 kilometers a day? If so, the answer is yes, it is doable but that is a pretty fast pace and I would recommend scheduling in a few extra days for rest days or shorter days. Santiago deserves at least one day of rest to celebrate! :)

Yes very doable but you will miss the spirit [ in my opinion :) of walking the last part to Finisterre /Muxia and that is to enjoy the solitude , peace of your camino in the last stage.
It becomes pretty hectic in the last 100km before SDC and as Yallah said some places are worth seeing/staying than just walking past.
If it's a oncer this Camino then schedule ***many more days and take your time.
You should start like an old person.....and you will finish as a young one.
The other way of walking is not recommended.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thornley said:
Yes very doable but you will miss the spirit [ in my opinion :) of walking the last part to Finisterre /Muxia and that is to enjoy the solitude , peace of your camino in the last stage.

I had to laugh--most people don't walk to Finisterre/Muxia at all, so "missing the spirit" is rather the par for the course in this particular instance. =)

I would agree, however, that most people would probably enjoy slowing down and enjoying their time on the trail rather than speeding down the trail as much as possible each day. It's important to make sure you're enjoying your time on the trail, though, and if walking particularly long distances every day makes you happy, go for it. If slowing down and smelling the roses makes you happy, do that instead. =)

-- Ryan

Thanks for the replies.
I have to agree with both opinions. Face a challenge of this size, with so many stories and most importantly, with the chance to interact with nature and people, it would be ridiculous to walk only to reach the destination. I will follow the opinion of you and move on "my" pace and enjoy all that this trip has to offer me.

Thank you.

lgodinhoramos said:
On June 5th (next month) I will be starting my "camino" from Saint Jean to Santiago, however I am thinking about the possibility of extending my walk to Finisterre (+90 km). Considering from SJPP to Santiago has 800 km, in 31 days I would be walking on average 26 km a day. Would it be correct to assume that if I walk 29 kilometers a day I could do the course? From the point of view of the numbers would be that, but I do not know if this applies in real experience.

Why don't you just start walking and see how it goes? ;-) 29 kilometers / day is certainly doable for a fit person that is used to walk with a backpack BUT

* As others have already pointed out, you might put yourself here under a lot of self-inflicted pressure which might make it more difficult for you to enjoy the Camino.

* If you walk faster than most of the pilgrims around you, you might lose your new one "Camino family" rather quickly.

* With a tight time schedule you have little flexibility for staying spontaneously in a place you like but that is not your planned "albergue of the day". Plus if you have problems like blisters etc you don't have the liberty to just walk 1/2 day. You either have to walk on, no matter how much it hurts, potentially making things worse, or be forced to take a bus in order to keep up with your time schedule.

Whatever you decide to do: Buen Camino!

He does mean 29km not 29 miles [ 48km] a day.
29 km x 31 days [899] is the total to Finisterre

Thornley said:
He does mean 29km not 29 miles [ 48km] a day.
29 km x 31 days [899] is the total to Finisterre

Good catch! Thanks, I will correct that in my answer ;-) SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am realizing that I may have made my time between flights a bit tight if I want to make it to Finisterre. I am trying to decide if I should:

A) abandon the idea of walking to the coast for now
B) start somewhere other than SJPDP so that I can still make it to the coast with time to get back to Madrid for my flight
C) change my reservations and add about 5 extra days

Any thoughts?

hello sneaky non,

I would take option C, if possible.
There is a lot of things to look at/ to do in or around Santiago.
It will give you the opportunity to take a rest day without stress along the way too.

And a few days more on the Camino are not lost days... :)

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Hi Sneakynin, If you have the option to add 5 days I would urger you to do so. Who know when you will again that the opportunity!. If you can't extend, I would Advise option A. We did not walk to the coast on our first Camino. I wish we had, but it was fine not to. And I loved the beginning in SJPP. So many people are starting together and Navarre is one of the most beautiful sections of the Camino. There is something symbolic and empowering about crossing the Pyrenees. Lots of others will feel differently and many say to just start in Pamplona and skip those first few days... but I would not trade them. We are going back this summer, walking the Primitivo and, this time, walking to the sea. Liz

If I had a choice, I would never miss an opportunity to walk to Finisterre and Muxia. For me it was very special and one of the highlights of my Camino.

Don't pass up finesterri , it is worth the time. You may even get to see the infamous Locknest monster.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
I am realizing that I may have made my time between flights a bit tight if I want to make it to Finisterre. I am trying to decide if I should:

B) start somewhere other than SJPDP so that I can still make it to the coast with time to get back to Madrid for my flight

Any thoughts?

C without doubt.
Best part of camino is after Santiago , you will know what i mean when you do it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for your help! I'm calling the airline tomorrow to add a few days on to the end of my trip.

Any thoughts?
I walked from SJPdP to Santiago but found initially I didn't want to walk on to Finisterre.....my compromise was to get off the Finisterre bus at CEE ( really beautiful) and walk on from there to both Finisterre about. 12 km then to Muxia in two short stages staying at the albergue in Lires (attached to hotel/bar) which is about half way. Was a really nice way to finish without having to rush.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back