Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Salamanca Albergues?

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Any feedback on Salamanca Albergues or hostals?

Which are nice... which to avoid?

A

AJ

Albergue de peregrinos near the cathedral was good last year. I think donativo. From memory they open briefly around mid day so you can drop your luggage off and you return later to check in. Times are posted at the entrance.

Again from memory the yellow arrows are plaques set into the pavement and they lead you to the Albergue. The place to get lost is the city side of the bridge crossing. If in doubt, ask!

William Marques

Staff member
The albergue in Salamanca is not far from the Roman bridge on the river side of the cathedrals. It is close to a little park. There is much other cheap accommodation being a university town and you may find as we did that the night is so hot that you are prepared to shell out for an air-conditioned room for the second night or more. Salamanca is worth a few days and I do not remember if the albergue will allow more than one night as usual.

mlcamino

I worked as a volunteer hospitalera at the Salamanca Albergue for two weeks in September 2006. It has beds for 18 and I think it was filled to capacity on only one night while I was there. It is a very nice place, wonderfully situated near the cathedal and adjacent to a lovely, peaceful enclosed garden. The Albergue operates on a donation basis.

The albergue has a small alcove with a sink, refrigerator and microwave, but no stove for cooking, as there are plenty of places to eat nearby. There are dishes, glasse, utensils, etc. if you want to buy something and bring it back to eat. There are ample tables and chairs for relaxing and eating. The bathrooms (separate for men and women) are clean and modern. They are located downstairs and the sleeping rooms are upstairs. People can wash their clothes in the the bathroom sink. Clothes have to be died inside so as to preserve the lovely and historic ambiance of the garden and surrounding areas.

The albergue opens at noon for one hour so that pilgrims can leave their packs and bicycles inside while they go to eat and explore the town. Then it reopens around 4:00 pm. This is generally when beds are assigned and pilgrims can shower and wash clothes.

Salamanca is a beautiful city with lots to see. Hope you enjoy it and your stay at the albergue!

Martha

Javier Martin

Veteran Member
AJ said:
Albergue de peregrinos near the cathedral was good last year. I think donativo. From memory they open briefly around mid day so you can drop your luggage off and you return later to check in. Times are posted at the entrance.

Again from memory the yellow arrows are plaques set into the pavement and they lead you to the Albergue. The place to get lost is the city side of the bridge crossing. If in doubt, ask!

It also was good one month ago. I was there walking Salamanca-Zamora. Well attended, clean and very close to the Cathedral.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

isabelle304

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPP-Santiago) (Oct-Nov 08)
Santiago to Finisterre (Nov 08)
Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres (Sevilla-Santiago via Ourense) (Oct-Nov 09)
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) (Sep-Oct 14)
I stayed at the Salamanca albergue last night and will be there again tonight (I have been allowed to stay a 2nd night because of problems with my feet - more details in my Live From the Camino post). I echo other posters´positive reports about the albergue. It is a really nice one, and really well located.

I was charged 5 euros. At the moment, for breakfast there seems to be a system of some pilgrims being kindly asked to contribute an item, ie bread, or butter, or jam, etc (but only if some if needed). This system fell down today as the two pilgrims that were asked to get some bread yesterday, did not, which meant we hardly had any bread for breakfast this morning. No biggie though, we still managed ok with biscuits and a few "pans con leche".

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
The Salamanca Albergue
Like flocking birds in the chattering dawn, four unmet souls collided with spectacular joy. In this awesome place, this beautiful dwelling, they became enthralled -so delighted in each other, that they stayed and stayed and stayed until all extraordinary tales were voiced and thirsty emotions met. Then, they went their contented way, quieted and happy and glad. (Lovingkindness. Via de la Plata, Nov, 09)

Hi there, CSJ forum friends. Here´s a little excerpt from one of my emails to other friends re the Salamanca Albergue: ´Greetings from Zamora where I´m having a rest day in the bone-chilling freezing all-day fog. I have had an excellent time the past week. Suddenly the planets are aligned and the heavenlies have deigned that all solitudinous peregrinos, all crazy drifting dreamers like myself converge, collide, spectacularly meet and have a bit of fun for a change. Four or five others around my age (give or take about 20 years), each with a fascinating history and bizarre, grandiose and ridiculous stories to tell, surfaced from their struggling contemplations and self-inflicted hiker´s pain to catch up together along the Way. We enjoyed each other so much that instead of religiously walking and contemplating all things historic and informative, we found ourselves taking lazy days, hanging out in local bars, chatting wildly and enthusiastically and irrationally about everything related and unrelated in the world, and drinking coffee after coffee and eating many many many Spanish cakes.´

It seems to me that each hospitalero establishes their own excellent tradition in the refugio or albergue where they find themselves serving. The dear couple who were helping out in the Salamanca Albergue when I arrived were incredibly kind, allowing four of us to stay on more than one night, giving us time to rest up, purchase supplies and explore the beautiful city. This albergue is donativo. No mention was made of how much we were to give. No demands were made of us beyond abiding by the established hours. They turned on the heat, showed us our beds, gave us tourist maps, and with great gentleness and a smile indicated that they, too, would like to sleep when at midnight we were still talking vociferously. We had a lovely time there and without conspiring, found ourselves showering the hospitaleros with presents.

Regards, Lovingkindness.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
I was hospitalera there myself a couple of years ago. It´s by far the best hosting gig out there.
And whomever is on the trail there right now, if they play their cards right, will have my acerbic partner Patrick as their hospitalero Dec. 1 to 15!

I can´t promise he will be as sweet and loving as the people described above, but he is kinda cute.

Rebekah

N

nathanael

I also stayed here and was not keen on the place we were like sardines in a can no room to move around.Although I must say the people were extremely quiet no snoring. The walk out of Salamanca was a chore. I am extremely thankful to Jesus who was a great walking companion as far as Zamora :lol: I would definitely do the Camino de la Plata again although very hard. :roll: :p
n+

peregrina2000

Staff member
Though I'm sure Anniesantiago long ago got this figured out,I thought I'd add a few suggestions for others that might be coming through Salamanca.

When I arrived in late May, the albergue was full. We found a youth hostel, the Revolutum Hostel,
http://www.revolutumhostel.com/ and had a 4-bed room for about 20 euros each, including breakfast -- a bit pricey, but Salamanca is a very touristy town. I assume there are other youth hostels in Salamanca, but this one has a great location. Around the corner from the Plaza Mayor more or less.

Since I was going to spend a rest day there to try to deal with raging allergies, and my companions were leaving the next day, I decided to splurge on a hotel. Turns out there was a 4**** right next door almost, called Rua Hotel. On a whim, I asked about rates for the night and got a lovely room with a terrific breakfast for 50 euros. Their published rates are much higher, but I assume this was a last minute deal based on availability.

I don't believe there are any pilgrim-specific albergues in Salamanca, but the accommodations are plentiful. And it is one of the most beautiful cities in Spain, so my recommendation is that a rest day there is almost a must.

Buen camino, Laurie

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances SJPP / 2014 Camino Portugues / 2015 Camino Ingles / 2015 Hospitalero Training
2016 (fall) Camino Sanabre / Hospitalero?
I worked as a volunteer hospitalera at the Salamanca Albergue for two weeks in September 2006. It has beds for 18 and I think it was filled to capacity on only one night while I was there. It is a very nice place, wonderfully situated near the cathedal and adjacent to a lovely, peaceful enclosed garden. The Albergue operates on a donation basis.

The albergue has a small alcove with a sink, refrigerator and microwave, but no stove for cooking, as there are plenty of places to eat nearby. There are dishes, glasse, utensils, etc. if you want to buy something and bring it back to eat. There are ample tables and chairs for relaxing and eating. The bathrooms (separate for men and women) are clean and modern. They are located downstairs and the sleeping rooms are upstairs. People can wash their clothes in the the bathroom sink. Clothes have to be died inside so as to preserve the lovely and historic ambiance of the garden and surrounding areas.

The albergue opens at noon for one hour so that pilgrims can leave their packs and bicycles inside while they go to eat and explore the town. Then it reopens around 4:00 pm. This is generally when beds are assigned and pilgrims can shower and wash clothes.

Salamanca is a beautiful city with lots to see. Hope you enjoy it and your stay at the albergue!

Martha
I am going to Salamanca in September 2016 as a Hospitalero any suggestions might help..... Ultreya Willy/Utah/USA

Advertisement

Booking.com