• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salamanca - Zamora

Barbara06

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Hi ! I have walked from Sevilla to Salamanca during May and would like to return mid June to do the remaining up to Santiago.
I should therefore start at Salamanca, but I am hesitating in fact to start from Zamora. The Salamanca to Zamora steps seem to be a lot of road and not really that intersesting.
Can anybody give me their advice ?
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Barbara, I loved ALL of the VdlP and walk because I love being a pilgrim. I really can’t say that one portion of this camino is ‘better’ or ‘worse’ than another. I love all of it. I’ve just hunted down my diary from last year’s VdlP to remind me of this portion. I stayed at an awesome private albergue in El Cubo de la Tierra (RHS as you enter, I believe) run by a gorgeous couple Loli and Filiberte. The home cooked food was a highlight and their lovely home an awesome place to stay, small rooms with beds or bunks and snacks, local wine on arrival. The last 20km to El Cubo were a bit tedius but so worth it on arrival. The rest of the walk to Zamora is quite pretty, local country roads and farmland. Of course, the albergue in Zamora is a favourite with pilgrims on the VdlP too.
I hope you don’t miss out this portion of the camino because you think it might not be interesting. The friends you’ll meet will surely make it interesting. Have fun, G

Hi ! I have walked from Sevilla to Salamanca during May and would like to return mid June to do the remaining up to Santiago.
I should therefore start at Salamanca, but I am hesitating in fact to start from Zamora. The Salamanca to Zamora steps seem to be a lot of road and not really that intersesting.
Can anybody give me their advice ?
Thanks
Hola, Barbara!
I'm currently in Valencia and will start Levante on Monday. I plan to be in Zamora approx.on July 8th. Haven't walked that route yet so can't really help you.

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Barbara: I walked from Salamanca to SdlC in March. I enjoyed the walk from Salamanca to Zamora...it was relatively flat so it helped me get in shape before heading into the hills. It's a lot of farm track with little shade and the walk out of Salamanca is the usual city exit. Grace is correct, the part going into El Cubo is a bit of a long trek next to the highway...but I also loved the reception and stay at Loli and Filberto's albergue (to the right as you enter the village). He loaded me into his car with his nephew after lunch and took me on a tour of the area and to show me his beautiful Arabian horses...what fun! If I was doing it again, I would start in Salamanca(glad I didn't miss this beautiful city). Only you can make the decision.... Hope this helps.

I have to agree with the ladies above.
There is nothing "uninteresting" on the VdlP.
There is a good deal of dirt or gravel farm roads between Salamanca and Zamora...much of it with ancient fence posts made of natural stone.

Beautiful and quiet. Don't miss any of it.

OK, OK ! thanks all for your answers, you have convinced me not to miss this part,....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I agree with the other posts, don't miss it. The first time I walked this section it was really hot so stayed at a little albergue in Calzada de Valdunciel and also stayed in El Cubo. The family in El Cubo were really helpful and friendly.

Hi Barbara, I loved ALL of the VdlP and walk because I love being a pilgrim. I really can’t say that one portion of this camino is ‘better’ or ‘worse’ than another. I love all of it. I’ve just hunted down my diary from last year’s VdlP to remind me of this portion. I stayed at an awesome private albergue in El Cubo de la Tierra (RHS as you enter, I believe) run by a gorgeous couple Loli and Filiberte. The home cooked food was a highlight and their lovely home an awesome place to stay, small rooms with beds or bunks and snacks, local wine on arrival. The last 20km to El Cubo were a bit tedius but so worth it on arrival. The rest of the walk to Zamora is quite pretty, local country roads and farmland. Of course, the albergue in Zamora is a favourite with pilgrims on the VdlP too.
I hope you don’t miss out this portion of the camino because you think it might not be interesting. The friends you’ll meet will surely make it interesting. Have fun, G
Absolutely agree about Loli and Filiberto. That evening was a highpoint of the whole VdlP, one of the great Camino experiences. Filiberto's Arab stallion was the star turn, as were the mare and foal, and food and drink, and generosity, and laughter. It was just the best.

For those who have recently walked the VDLP, how is the railroad construction going?
Were there many detours and where did you find them?
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Barbara, I loved ALL of the VdlP and walk because I love being a pilgrim. I really can’t say that one portion of this camino is ‘better’ or ‘worse’ than another. I love all of it.

I love the VdlP very much indeed as well, but I don't quite agree that ALL of it is great. The northern suburbs of Salamanca (and Zamora) were, I thought, really really ghastly. If (when, dv) I do this wonderful camino again, I think I shall take a taxi or bus for the first 5km out of Salamanca, giving an extra hour in that wonderful city. El Cubo and its arab steeds and delicious wine is, I agree, a great place, and the glorious southern approach to wonderful Zamora, with the long views to the amazing byzantine cathedral cupola slowly coming closer is one of the highlights of the walk (the long views the previous day to the watchtower of Topas prison alongside the main road on the way towards el Cubo, on the other hand, was not, nor was the slightly sinister sight of the falangist symbol carved into the water fountain in Calzada de Valdunciel).

The camino between Salamanca and Zamora was boring, but the walk from Zamora to Riego del Camino even more boring. A lot of walking on road and no shade. The Monastery near Granja de Moreruela is worth a visit.
Have you decided which camino to walk after Zamora: VdlP to Astorga, VdlP through Portugal or Camino Sanabrés ?

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back