• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salomon trail runners for 800K

Stephanie Martin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino in Sept/Oct/Nov 2022 (via the French route)
Hi all,
I recently got a HOKA Anacapa for the Camino Frances which I'll be doing in October. After walking around in them for a few days, my toes are hurting, not sure if it's because the shoes needs breaking-in or what's causing it. Thankfully I can return this pair and I'm very keen on purchasing the Salomon Women's Supercross shoes. They're really comfy and seem to have good grip. Would it survive the 800K walk?

The HOKA shoes I had, had ankle support, this Salomon doesn't. But it's alot more comfy, even from the get-go (photo below).

Thank you
120118-DBWB0-front.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've had two pairs of these Salomon trail runners and in my case they did not make it beyond 600 km. I am tough on my shoes I'll admit.

This year I bought a Salomon model with a bit more pronounced tread (Cross 5). The upper part around the big toes and inside heel did not wear down as in the case of the Supercross but the tread did wear down around my outer heels. I walked the Norte from Bilbao to Santiago (about 700 km) where there was a lot of asphalt.

I keep buying Salomon as they fit well and I'm blister free.

I have salomon xa Pro, and onto my 4th pair as I love them (third pair still going but thought it might be chance to risk 3 week camino in them) but they are more rugged than some of the salomon trail runners, and easily get over 1000km in them

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
my toes are hurting, not sure if it's because the shoes needs breaking-in or what's causing it.
They don't fit your foot properly, whether the wrong size or the wrong shape. Non-leather shoes should not need to be "broken in". In fact, they can't. They should be immediately comfortable and require only some minor "getting used to "

I’m a big fan of trail running shoes for the Camino. I have had both good and bad luck with my trail running shoes on Caminos. One of the bottom lines for me is how the shoe fits versus the brand. I look for a shoe with a wide toe box and one with good arch support. The shoes I recently wore on the Portugués did not have the latter and my feet paid the price. Therefore, which I’ve always done in the past, get a good insole like Superfeet instead of using the insert/insole that comes with the shoes. As Superfeet has a number of models, it’s best, if possible, to be able to try them out in a shop that specializes in running shoes and sells Superfeet.

Wore a pair of Speedgoat 4 GTX Hokas for the first 150 miles of the via Francigena, but developed blisters on both of my 4th toes after the weather turned hot (my feet really swell in hot weather walking). Donated the Hokas to a motel worker who wore the same size as I do. Took a quick train trip to the Salomon store in Paris (left bank store) and bought a pair of Salomon X-Ultra 04 GTX -- wide toe box and great fit from the start. 400 miles later they are just beginning to show some wear on the soles. Fourth pair of Salomon trail shoes I've had and three of them have been for Caminos. Can't say enough good things about Salomon's wide toe boxes and great engineering (arch support, durability of the heel strike area, etc...)
Hoka's are still my go-to shoes for trail running, up to about 10 miles, but I'll never wear them again on a camino. Lessons learned continues... ;>)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know I am prejudice and how someone walks and how far varies from person to person. I have talked to other pilgrims who swear by Brooks Cascadias like I do. My shortest Camino was about 750K and my longest 1400K. 6 Caminos all together and haven't had a problem with my feet and have not had a blister since my second camino. I have heard the same from other pilgrims who use Cascadias. I buy a size larger and 2W. That seems to work the best for me. Last October-December I walked about 1150K from Sevilla-Muxia/Finistere. As I prepare for my October Camino I have a new pair of Cascadias but I am training in the same pair that I walked with last year without a problem.

Love Love Love my Salomon trail runners. I've been through 3 pairs now. Mine made it the entire 800k plus some. Used on 2 or 3 caminos. I haven't had this particular model, however. All in all, I think you won't go wrong with Salomon trail runners.

Hi all,
I recently got a HOKA Anacapa for the Camino Frances which I'll be doing in October. After walking around in them for a few days, my toes are hurting, not sure if it's because the shoes needs breaking-in or what's causing it. Thankfully I can return this pair and I'm very keen on purchasing the Salomon Women's Supercross shoes. They're really comfy and seem to have good grip. Would it survive the 800K walk?

The HOKA shoes I had, had ankle support, this Salomon doesn't. But it's alot more comfy, even from the get-go (photo below).

Thank you
View attachment 130733
Hi Stephanie
I know there will be people who will disagree with me but running shoes are precisely that "running shoes". They are not designed for hiking and often even if their outer appearance is OK they are disintegrating inside. I am a Level 4 distance running coach and I advise all my athletes to replace their training shoes between 400 and 500 miles running. I have witnessed many people suffer injuries over the years from over using training shoes and generally being too tight to replace them. For hiking I would always recommend something with an ankle support it does not take much to turn an ankle. I don't know the shoes you have mentioned. I use La Sportiva Trango Leather GTX but they are not cheap however you get what you pay for. My first pair lasted me though 4 Caminos and all my hiking at home over a period of 8 years. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Vince

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with Vince. If you like the Salomon fit, I highly recommend the Ultra 4 hikers instead of runners. If you compare tread on the shoes, the runners have less tread.

I walk a lot and go through 4 pair a year. I usually change them between 500-600 miles depending on the type of terrain I hike. I also find the tread wears more evenly across the bottom on the hikers vs the runners.

Since my First Camino (I used Ultra 3 runners), I have only walked in Salomon Ultras. However I switched to the Ultra 4 hikers because they have a large toe box; it is tall and wide; most hikers only have a wide toe box. I don’t like the feeling of my big toe touching the top of the shoe. Added bonus; there is no break in needed with these shoes.

I only buy the vented version, the waterproof just don’t feel the same and they run hot. I was worried about this when I walked the Camino in May. It rained about five days, but my feet were never wet. Last week I hiked in Lake Tahoe. One of the hikes I had to walk across a stream that was about 4 feet across and 8 inches deep, I did it in the Ultra 4 vented and my feet did not get wet.

One last thing…..I use custom made orthotics when hiking at home, but they are really stiff. If I am walking more than 10 or 12 miles, I use ABEO 3D3 CORE Sport Orthotic they offer support with a lot of cushion. I used them on my first Camino, so I decided to use them on my second as well. I am glad I did, I never had foot problems; Camino 1 or 2.

I have salomon xa Pro, and onto my 4th pair as I love them (third pair still going but thought it might be chance to risk 3 week camino in them) but they are more rugged than some of the salomon trail runners, and easily get over 1000km in them
I too love Salomon XA Pro walking shoes. I have gone through many pairs, each lasting more than 1000km. They are comfortable with grippy soles and I also appreciate the quick lace system. If they fit your foot, I would recommend their use.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank you
View attachment 130733
I will start by saying that everyone’s feet are a bit different, so the most important thing is to have shoes that fit and are comfortable. Also, you mentioned ankle support, so are you used to walking/hiking in shoes with little ankle support? If not, I would consider buying some poles when you get to the Camino if you decide to go with the Salomons.

Disclaimers aside, I am currently hiking the Camino Frances in Salomon trail runners (Sense Ride 4). We are about 725 km in and they are holding up just fine, though they do smell pretty bad and will definitely be retired when we are done.

I have worn them all but two days. I had a heel blister so I wore my chacos for a couple days to give the blister time to heal.

Hope that helps!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have worn normal running new balance trainers for the Frances to Fisterra in '18 and New Balance trail runners in '19 and while blisters are a part of walking, running and hiking both sets of shoes performed great. I would let your feet get used to wearing them though, they will loosen as you walk

I'm very keen on purchasing the Salomon Women's Supercross shoes. They're really comfy and seem to have good grip. Would it survive the 800K walk?
For what it's worth, my Salomon Speedcross 4s last over 500 cumulative km of hiking with loaded packs on exposed granite trails in my part of the world. **I know that isn't the Camino** but it's enough that I'm confident with SenseRides for my Norte. The insoles on Salomons are excellent (IMO), so I'd hesitate to replace theirs with a version that might not fit the shoe as well. Have a great time out there!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been similarly trying to get the right shoes for months. First I bought a very expensive pair of New Balance Trail shoes that felt like walking on a cloud, until I started trying to walk any distance in them. Then I found that I could barely walk uphill as the shoes barely bend - there was no ability to propel myself forward while walking uphill. I took them back (luckily the store took them back), and got a different pair of NB shoes, that bend better, but cause my feet to ache, and have caused blisters. I added vaseline to my feet, tried taping them, tried 2 pairs of socks, but it's no help. By 6-7k, the ball of my foot and my toes are aching. I could get twice that far in my Skechers that were not made for this of walking. So now, less than 30 days from my departure, I have no idea what to do or where to turn, but am pretty sure I won't be able to make it in my current shoes, because I can't even get beyond 12k in them, and that's with a lot of pain.

I also love the Saloman fit. My Ultra 3’s lasted through the entire Camino Mozarabe from Almeria, and again for entire Portuguese from Lisbon. I’ve retired them now. Never a blister and I have gnarly feet. I wear Salomon trail runners for shorter paths, but I notice at about 10-14km my toes and heels feel sore. I would not choose them for a long Camino. I also wear custom orthotics which I switch out with the Salomon provided liners from time to time. I always carry both insoles in case of pressure points developing.

Hi all,

Thank you
View attachment 130733
Hi Stephanie, I’ve had very good experiences with Salomon shoes in general. I had a pair of hiking shoes (not boots, so no ankle support) which I’d worn hiking for 6 years before wearing them on the Camino Frances. They made it but only just! I threw them out at the end. But they had been well worn beforehand. I’ve attached a pic of me wearing them so you can see the type I mean.
Interestingly I didn’t get a single blister the whole way.
I’d be fairly confident in using Salomon brand. As for ankle support, I guess it depends on the individual, how strong your ankles are in general.

Attachments

• 1EDF8507-C69D-446D-BF6E-131138D2A05D.jpeg
    1EDF8507-C69D-446D-BF6E-131138D2A05D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wore men's wide speedcross 4s on my first Camino, they lasted pretty well for 900ks and I'm tough on them. Only thing was the top inside heal must rub and wore through. I wore the speedcross 5 last Camino and again pleased with them. Wore in conjunction with toe socks liners and smart wool outers.

Such a tricky topic, as we all have different feet and preferences.......

Normally I take a size 9 US shoe.
On previous Caminos I have worn Salomon X Ultra 4 Mids (size US 10).
Loved them. No blisters. Not one.......in 2,000 kms.

But as my knees wear and have issues I need to wear something lighter. (told by 3 physios)

I have bought and tried 3 x trail runners in the last 18 months. None feel right so far.
I just know they won't last the journey and/or the fit already feels like it will cause blisters.

1. Hoka Stinson ATR (size 11 US). Heel is not secure and rubs. Even with heel lock lacing.
  2. La Sportiva Ultra Raptor GTX. (size 11 US). Too narrow and after a few miles hot spots occur.
  3. Altra Lone Peak 5 (size US 11). They just feel far too flimsy, with almost no support. The soles feel super thin and un-cushioned. (even with my orthotics) I am yet to try them on rough ground!
Yes, these are all a size larger than my Salomons.
But each time I tried many sizes and they seemed to be the right fit.

At this stage I'll wear my old boots again. But I would prefer the 'shoe' version if I can find them.
Just no luck so far here in Sydney. I'll keep looking!

As a side note, a couple of podiatrists have told me that as we age, the cushioning on the soles of our feet becomes less effective. Of course being over weight does not help either.

Maybe those who love Altra Lone Peaks are younger / lighter? I bought them as they seem so popular.

I walked a lot of practice miles, the frances from SJPDP and then the Frances from Sarria all in a pair of Salomon X Ultra 3s - Never a blister or any foot pain (using 1000 mile fusion dual layer socks). Unfortunately they need replacing. I just had the Speedcross 5 delivered. They fit great and are comfortable, but they are different! The shoe is much narrower - it is designed to grip your feet as you run the trails. I also have a pair of Brooks trail runners and a pair of Hokas - both of which I find great for running and a 10km walk - but less comfortable on full day hikes
I will be sending back the speedcross and will grab another pair of the X Ultras for those longer hikes - I know they work so why change a winning formula!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.