• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salvador in 5 days?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2008, 2009), Camino Frances (2011)
Porto to SDC (7/2017) Primitivo (9/2019)
Hello, I have a two questions concerning the Salvador. I am a responsibly fit 66 year old male with very little Spanish language skills.
First, would it be reasonable for me to plan for a 5 day walk in September and second, will I be able to manage with my lack of Spanish?
As a reference, I walked from Porto into Santiago in 7 days last July.

P.S., Many thanks to Ender for your wonderful Salvador Guide, great job!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You ought to have no problems. Some have walked it in 4 days, as you will no doubt hear. Buen Camino.

Hi, 7 days from Porto to Santiago? I would say you are very fit!
5 days for Salvador - no problem. I can share my gpx/klm tracks if you want to but summary of the way characteristics (from my Garmin) below;

1. Leon - La Robla 30km, elevation gain/loss = 482/368 m, 6h 40min walk, few uphills/downhills in the middle 10km section

2. La Robla - Poladura de la Tercia, 23.5 km, elev gain/loss = 702/427, 5h 30 min walk, one, steady uphill over 3-4km distance beginning after about 13km,

3. Poladura de la Tercia - Pajares, 14,8km, elev gain/loss = 582/829, 4h walk, bit of uphill at the beginning over long distance, nothing challenging,

4. Pajares - Pola de Lena, 25km, elev gain/loss = 812/1461, 6h 15 min walk, steep downhill at the beginning, more downhill later

5. Pola de Lena - Oviedo, 32.9 km, elev gain/loss = 675/769, 7h walk, MOST DIFFICULT DAY (my opinion), first 18km is just flat walk and then you have some long and very tiring ups and downs.

Overall I would say it is not too demanding (last day is a bit tough though).

Camino San Salvador is nothing but stunning :). I would do it again but next time I would change my stages so that I could stay in Albergue Santuario de Benduenos, located on the top of the hill. I wouldn't change any of the first three stops though. Poladura especially, gorgeous village, don't forget to buy local cider. Pajares is beautiful too. The view from the albergue window is exceptional.

As for Spanish. We were lucky enough to have a Spanish friend with fantastic English. But I don't think that would be a problem. Just common phrases to learn re food or beds. The way is very well marked.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m off on Monday to walk the Salvador! As I don’t do long stages (much over 25), I have found it difficult to plan. I might even take 7 days over it!!!!

A question, Anna. Do the albergues all provide blankets? I’m thinking it might be more than a little cold in the mountains, and I will need more than my light sleeping bag. Thanks

I’m off on Monday to walk the Salvador! As I don’t do long stages (much over 25), I have found it difficult to plan. I might even take 7 days over it!!!!

A question, Anna. Do the albergues all provide blankets? I’m thinking it might be more than a little cold in the mountains, and I will need more than my light sleeping bag. Thanks
I am not Anna, but last summer there were blankets in all the albergues we slept in on the Salvador camino.

Hi Felice, to be honest I don't know about blankets. I don't pay too much attention to blankets as I always have my sleeping bag. Besides it was July, hot enough not to care about anything to cover with.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Nice, I might run into you (or you into me) as I start on Tuesday!

Thank you, Kirkie and Anna. I've been nervously watching the weather forecast, with its promise of snow on the Cantabrians and wondering if I am doing the right thing walking the Salvador in mid May. I've been really lucky with the weather in May over the past 3 years, so I'm hoping for some more luck this year. I dont mind clouds and wind, it's the rain I detest!

Purky, I'm sure you will be faster than me! I'm actually flying on Monday, to Oviedo and then bussing to Leon on Tuesday morning, so you will be well ahead of me, going at my snail's pace.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Flying to Santiago on Monday (arriving early evening), and then the first train to Leon on Tuesday morning. Hopefully all quick enough to also walk the first 17 km to Cabanillas on Tuesday. Who knows? Buen camino, in any case!

The Salvador was indeed very beautiful and could be done in 5 days. I would surely stay in the wonderful Albergue in Benduenos. {Although it might be cold depending on outside temperatures

To make that last day shorter I added a night in Mieres . Really helped me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many thanks to all!
Anna, your summary is great, thank you. I will looked into adjusting for Benduenos.
I will turn west onto the Primitiov from Oviedo with the hope of walking into Santiago in eleven days.

Elevation gain/loss that's the expresion !! Thank you @Anna Sar I didn't know the translation for desnivel subida/bajada. I didn't find this expresion in any Spanish/ English dictionnary and was unknown by every English native speaker that I asked it.

That is funny @Pelegrin as I am not native English speaker :). But I just like mountains. And I meant total elevation gain/loss for the given distance of course.

@walking sticKs, Primitivo is also stunning. 11 days sounds about right, although we reached Santiago on day 12th having few long days. Try not to miss absolutely fabulous albergue Bodenaya with fantastic hospitalero David.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Anna, I expect to shave off a day on the Primitivo, since I like to walk all day. Once I hit the Camino Frances, I will cover more ground faster since I know this route well. At least that is the plan! You know how plans are, they work great until you put them into practice!

Flying to Santiago on Monday (arriving early evening), and then the first train to Leon on Tuesday morning. Hopefully all quick enough to also walk the first 17 km to Cabanillas on Tuesday. Who knows? Buen camino, in any case!

I came across the webcam for the ski station next to the Puerto de Pajares (Branilla, Valle de Sol) and it looks dreadful - snow and mist. And according to the BBC weather map, there is lots more snow forecast on Sunday night. Unless it improves rapidly in the next few days I do not think it would be wise to do this walk. I intend to ask for advice when I get to Leon, meanwhile I'm trying to think of somewhere else to walk if need be.

I came across the webcam for the ski station next to the Puerto de Pajares (Branilla, Valle de Sol) and it looks dreadful - snow and mist. And according to the BBC weather map, there is lots more snow forecast on Sunday night. Unless it improves rapidly in the next few days I do not think it would be wise to do this walk. I intend to ask for advice when I get to Leon, meanwhile I'm trying to think of somewhere else to walk if need be.

Yikes! I'll investigate too...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't think it looks quite so bad now.
The webcam is at https://www.hispacams.com/webcams/webcam-pajares-pajares-valle-del-sol-2.html
It is located at the Estacion Invernal just SW of Brañillin, at about 1850m. Maybe it gets more snow than the Salvador path.
The accuweather forecast for Brañillin seems to have changed and is not too dreadful now.
However, as I am walking alone, I won't attempt it if visibility is poor. A bit like the Hospitales route on the Primitivo - just not worth the risk. We drove through Pajares many years ago on a wet day and there would be no pleasure in walking in such conditions.

Don't think it looks quite so bad now.
The webcam is at https://www.hispacams.com/webcams/webcam-pajares-pajares-valle-del-sol-2.html
It is located at the Estacion Invernal just SW of Brañillin, at about 1850m. Maybe it gets more snow than the Salvador path.
The accuweather forecast for Brañillin seems to have changed and is not too dreadful now.
However, as I am walking alone, I won't attempt it if visibility is poor. A bit like the Hospitales route on the Primitivo - just not worth the risk. We drove through Pajares many years ago on a wet day and there would be no pleasure in walking in such conditions.

I checked the weather reports along the Salvador, and although not too sunny and quite nippy in the evenings and mornings, it doesn't seem to be too bad. I will doublecheck when in Leon, but for now I am reasonably optimistic. I will however add a beanie and some light gloves to my kit ;).

I'll come after you on friday ... :)
Purky, you don't need gloves if you have enough socks ..;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Purky, you don't need gloves if you have enough socks ..;)

For those who are curious what the weather is like at the moment on the Salvador: I feel like an idiot for packing a beanie and light gloves. I should have brought sunscreen. Glorious weather, no clouds and a slight breeze. At least 20 ºC. Currently in Cabanillas, where I seem to have the albergue to myself.

Wau, thank you very much for your report and for the great news! I am packing for the camino right now and I am looking forward to follow your way! I am off tomorrow and guess what, I won't take the gloves.. Buen camino, ultreia et suseia!!!

Totally agree so far Purky. Lovely day for walking today. I got to Cascantes then caught the bus back to León. Let us know what the mountains are like if you have any wifi! How did they get the forecast so wrong?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back