• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salvador in 7 days second stage

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
In the first week of August I'll be walking the Salvador with my daughter. We intend to do it in 7 days. In his very good guide Ender suggests that the first day you walk to Cabanillas (17km) the second day to la Robla (10km) and the third day to Poladura(24km). 9 km after la Robla you pass through La Pola de Gordon, here are two pensions/ casas rurales. If we would stop there this would mean that we would walk 19 and 15 km, in stead of 10 and 24 on day 2 and 3. The distance would be much more evenly split.
As this seems very obvious, I presume that Ender has reasons to propose this scheme. Does anybody know what reasons this might be? Are the pensions inPola de Gordon not so good or expensive, is the albergue in La Robla not to be missed or are there other reasons?
Thanks in advance

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't know myself but would love to hear what you end up doing as I am walking the Salvador in Sept and my first day is Leon to La Robla (27k?). I hope to get to Oviedo in 6 days. I think Ender's guide is just that, a guide split into distances to stops where there are facilities and accommodation depending on how many days you want to walk?
Hope you have a great walk and perhaps we will hear about it?

Keep in mind which are the mountainous sections when you consider "much more evenly split". The mountainous sections are from Buiza to Pajares. In that option, he may be accounting for that. I really dodn't see Ender as a person who makes etapa choices based on the comforts of an albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Keep in mind which are the mountainous sections when you consider "much more evenly split". The mountainous sections are from Buiza to Pajares. In that option, he may be accounting for that. I really dodn't see Ender as a person who makes etapa choices based on the comforts of an albergue.
Of course I thought about that but according to the description and the profile the kilometers from LA Robla to Pola de Gordon are rather flat and easy. I agree that to me Ender does not seem to be a man whose advices are based on the comforts of albergues. In fact that was the reason why I wondered about his choice.

My guess is that he has a preference for albergues. In Pola de Gordon there is a pension over a bar and a small hotel if it is still open. Whatever you do, since you have time, don't miss Bendueños. From the albergue in Pajares it's a very short 12or 14 km but it is the BEST!!!

Antonius
The day to La Robla is being split. If you have the time. La Robla is a good Albergue. There is facility to cook but places in town to buy dinner too. We had to ring for the key and leave it in box outside as you leave. 2 separate bathrooms and very cozy.
Not sure which day was only 15k after that but it was enough for me ! A good work out but manageable.
Poladura is a very spartan Albergue and if it's cold when you go ., hot water is not always a certainty. There is a casa rural not far from the Albergue that I believe is very comfortable . If you can't get into it., they can provide food. You can go round for a drink etc.
Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My guess is that he has a preference for albergues. In Pola de Gordon there is a pension over a bar and a small hotel if it is still open. Whatever you do, since you have time, don't miss Bendueños. From the albergue in Pajares it's a very short 12or 14 km but it is the BEST!!!
I sure will stay in Benduenos, I read the hospitalero lived for a few years in the Netherlands, 25 kilometers from where I live. I hope there are beds available when we get there. Perhaps you're right that Enders reason had a preference for albergues. I think I'll try the pensions in Pola de Gordon. A walk of 10 km is too short for my liking.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.