• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salvador in november

kilgore

Time of past OR future Camino
Astorga-Santiago November 2012
Camino Aragonés & Francés November/December 2013
Hi,
I'm planning to do this Camino in november (by the 10th more or less). I have some doubts: for instance, I don't know if I it's easy to loose the trail in case of snow. I have been watching some posts regarding some problems to find the trail even with no snow at all. Besides, some of you mention the possibility of using a gps at some point.
I know this part of León but always going to every place by car, and I really feel like walking it.
After arriving to Oviedo I want to carry on with the Primitivo, but I am not worried about the trail or the snow with this Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kilgore, welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2014.
You should have little problem remaining on the Camino. No need for a GPS, just follow the yellow arrows. If it snows, which is unlikely...make a snow pilgrim.:D
Buen Camino,
Arn

Hi kilgore,
The Salvador is extremely well marked, and in the mountainous parts the markings are on metal posts that are about 3' high. A gps is absolutely not necessary. If there is a lot of snow, it of course would not be a good idea to start out, see jpflavin's account of his walk through the mountainous parts (between Buiza and Pajares), it sounds like it was kind of dangerous. Rebekah also has some snow experience up there, I think.

This Camino has become very popular in summer months, but I don't think you'll find many crowds in November. Good pilgrim infrastructure and lots of great scenery. I think the Salvador/Primitivo combination is probably the best two -two and a half week walk on any camino in Spain. Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for your replies,
Last year I found some snow in Somport and some ice in Villafranca Montes de Oca but it was always easy to find the trail. I will consider the weather conditions and if they are too bad I won't start, but it would be a dislike not to enjoy that scenery.

Thank you for your replies,
Last year I found some snow in Somport and some ice in Villafranca Montes de Oca but it was always easy to find the trail. I will consider the weather conditions and if they are too bad I won't start, but it would be a dislike not to enjoy that scenery.

Finding someone who really knows something about the conditions up in the mountains can be tricky. Probably the best source would be the Camino del Salvador facebook page, you could post a question and get a close-to-real-time answer about conditions. "The locals" (as in "ask the locals") frequently don´t have a clue about the Camino but that rarely stops them from giving you an opinion. Buen camino, Laurie

Hola, Laurie traduce que si necesitan cualquier información pueden preguntármela a través del Facebook, yo no tengo idea de inglés pero traduciré con el traductor de google y seguro que nos entendemos.

Un beso muy grande y estoy siguiéndote con los datos que pones del camino olvidado, solo falta que pongas algunas fotos.

Un saludo a todos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola, Laurie traduce que si necesitan cualquier información pueden preguntármela a través del Facebook, yo no tengo idea de inglés pero traduciré con el traductor de google y seguro que nos entendemos.

Un beso muy grande y estoy siguiéndote con los datos que pones del camino olvidado, solo falta que pongas algunas fotos.

Un saludo a todos.

Ender asks that I translate his suggestion that if you need information on the conditions of the Salvador, go to his facebook page and ask. He will find out what you need to know. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much! I now follow the page.
Gracias Ender y gracias Laurie, creo que nos entenderemos. :)

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm planning to do this Camino in november (by the 10th more or less). I have some doubts: for instance, I don't know if I it's easy to loose the trail in case of snow. I have been watching some posts regarding some problems to find the trail even with no snow at all. Besides, some of you mention the possibility of using a gps at some point.
I know this part of León but always going to every place by car, and I really feel like walking it.
After arriving to Oviedo I want to carry on with the Primitivo, but I am not worried about the trail or the snow with this Camino.

Kilgore:

I walked this route in early April 2013. Between Buiza and Pajares, I encountered 3 to 4 meter drifts in the passes. It took me 3 1/2 hours to walk 8 km's. I highly recommend you check the weather before walking in November.

The route can be very remote but it is well marked. Several of the small villages (Cabanillas - no food but nice Albergue, Buiza - no food but nice Albergue, Poladura de Tercia - no food and imo a terrible Albergue but there is a Casa Rural) have no stores or bars so carry some form of food with you. The mountain section was difficult (mostly because of conditions) but beautiful (snow covered mountains and lush valleys).

I would recommend this Camino to anyone in good weather conditions. I have several posts of pictures on the conditions I encountered in the Salvador thread Buiza to Pajares.

Wish I was walking now but it is time to cut the grass.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much Joe,
I have seen your amazing pictures and it seems doable if the weather is not too bad. With a (more or les) sunny day must be really impressive.
I will ask to Ender and visit aemet.es to know more about the weather conditions.

Last edited:
Kilgore:

My pleasure. If I can be of further assistance in any way, please feel free to PM me.

Your note got me to review that walk and it brought back a flood of good but soggy memories. I will have to walk this route again some day.

Ultreya,
Joe

I think this picture of the Puerto de Pajares (from Ender's facebook page) is from yesterday. If so, anyone walking in November should be sure to get good advice before setting out from Buiza or Poladura!

Pajares.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suppuse its all relative, the alburgues were busy but apart from each other, once we left the bitrufication in Leon we only saw one other pilgrim while we were walking and he was hiding from the rain and was looking very lonely and fed up.

Oh, and the walker/pilgrim who had walked the Via plata from Astorga and was going to Gijon, we saw him just along the river at Mieres.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,
I'm planning to do this Camino in november (by the 10th more or less).

So, Kilgore, did you walk this route? Let us know how it went, we don't get too many reports on the Salvador in November! Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...
(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.