• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Salvador/Primitivo End Aug - September 2022

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all, In Leon to start the Salvador Monday and then the Primitivo.

I don’t intend to post much unless I encounter anything unexpected that may be useful to the pilgrims immediately behind me.

Ultreia
Buen Camino. I'll be there in October

Hola, I'd be interested in availability of beds....I have some days to clean up to finish the Madrid in late September ending in Sahagun, then plan to follow your path for San Salvador and the Primitivo...starting around Oct 1....Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola, I'd be interested in availability of beds....I have some days to clean up to finish the Madrid in late September ending in Sahagun, then plan to follow your path for San Salvador and the Primitivo...starting around Oct 1....Buen Camino!
I was considering same as you Madrid, San Salvador, Primitivo starting September 8, originally had Planned to do Del Norte.
Am making myself crazy trying to decide.
Would like very much to hear any updates from any one wondering about🙃

Day 1 Leon - La Robla
Stayed at Bar Mundo on the Monday Aug 29. I booked ahead. Reception reported only 2 Pilgrims including me. But she said the Sat/ Sunday was busier. I have taken care to walk between the Aug / Sept surge and to avoid leaving Leon with the weekend walkers. So in Robla I can only see 2 Pilgrims. However that’s not to say Bar Mundo’s rooms are not taken as there are temporary workers in town. Bar Mundo rooms are basic and yes they smell of smoke but I was thrilled to have a private room with shower for 20e. Very kind woman at the bar.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 2 La Robla - Poladura
Phoned ahead and booked a shared bedroom and meals at the Posada. Very nice here. It appears only 3 pilgrims in town. It was a strenuous climb out of Buiza. Very hot and absolutely no chance of stopping even for water as the flies were fierce. Stopped at the top where the wind blows them away to make my picnic. Don’t leave Buiza on an empty stomach.

Update - as of Aug 30 17:00 there is 1 pilgrim at the Albergue and 2 of us at the Posada.

Last edited:
Day 3 I highly recommend the Cascoxu Albergue in Llanos for its quality of accommodations and service. http://alberguecascoxu.es/

Thanks for these live posts! Just wondering whether you are going to take the Munisteriu alternative. It starts right after Llanos. If you are not familiar with it, I know that the albergue owner has been involved in the marking, so you could check with him. Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for these live posts! Just wondering whether you are going to take the Munisteriu alternative. It starts right after Llanos. If you are not familiar with it, I know that the albergue owner has been involved in the marking, so you could check with him. Buen camino.
Yes the albergue owner, Pablo?, spoke at length with us about the region. He and his wife Rocio are very nice. Pumpkin soup was wonderful. The albergue is quite modern. A real treat. Glad I chose to stop here when originally I planned to go to Pajares.

PS while walking today I noticed scat on the trail that reminded me of home. I pondered on it and asked Pablo. He confirmed wolves!

This is a great map, I now finally see how the “three options” all come together. It is also good information to know that the distance from Llanos/Chanos to Campomanes via the Munisterio is 12 kms.

I think the green option is what most forum members walk. There’s turnoff on the road before you get down to Puente Fierros. I think @jpflavin1 unintentionally stayed on the white route the whole way till it joins with the red route, and he said the climb was very stiff.

Which route did you take?

Last fall I had tracks for Munisteriu from Ender so I gave it a try. I think the route has been changed a bit since I walked. Some forum members who have walked it recently have commented on some having a rope on the side of a steep hill. I never saw that. Ender tells me they have re-routed the path away from a steep short section of jagged rock that was really hard to navigate. Anyway, having a big group hike on the Munisteriu will do wonders for the overgrowth and for making the path clearer.

Enjoying these updates, @staucher, thanks for posting them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Update Llanos de Someron

Last night we were 2 at dinner. Pablo reported he might expect 5 tonight. He explained the Munistiriu variant to me saying it was a beautiful walk in nature but strenuous. I elected to give my knees a less strenuous alternative and took the road instead. It’s still early days for me and I wanted a break. The road on an early September morning was lovely. Good views onto the valley. It’s pleasant to amble on looking about not peering 3 feet ahead watching for rocks. Don’t worry , later on before Fresneo you’ll return to nature and have your knees punished.

Attachments

• DC7D0276-9BD2-42D2-B613-88F03A3B3D22.jpeg
    DC7D0276-9BD2-42D2-B613-88F03A3B3D22.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 29
Update - as of Aug 30 17:00 there is 1 pilgrim at the Albergue and 2 of us at the Posada.
Hi Bombay Bill, Missed this thread until just now. The summer Embrujo prices will end in mid September and will climb to €42 without dinner. If I am able to meet a fellow Peregrino/Peregrina in late September hope to share. Thank you for your live posts.
Last fall I had tracks for Munisteriu from Ender so I gave it a try. I think the route has been changed a bit since I walked. Some forum members who have walked it recently have commented on some having a rope on the side of a steep hill.
Hi Laurie, will very much avoid any rope climbing while carrying my 🎒. The walk is coming into focus for me and would very much like to avoid testing “112”: Peregrina 🐢 lying flat among the brambles & ticks. Thanks for updating.

Yes the albergue owner, Pablo?, spoke at length with us about the region. He and his wife Rocio are very nice. Pumpkin soup was wonderful. The albergue is quite modern. A real treat. Glad I chose to stop here when originally I planned to go to Pajares.

PS while walking today I noticed scat on the trail that reminded me of home. I pondered on it and asked Pablo. He confirmed wolves!
Ohh ohooo not crazy about encounters with wolves, especially being so remote
I can deal with roaming livestock and the occasional jabalí , lobos are another thing altogether, May have to reconsider

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don’t worry , later on before Fresneo you’ll return to nature and have your knees punished.
It’s been several years since I walked that route to Fresneo, since I took the Munisteriu route last year, so my memory may be fuzzy. But what I remember was trying to go across the side of a hill with no real path, and I remember something about a high power electrical line. Does this sound like what you walked?

I do think this “second turnoff” is probably the best for those who don’t want to go via Munisteriu. Going all the way down to Puente Fierro, which I haven’t done, seems to just add a lot of ascent back up to Fresneo! (See BombayBill’s very helpful post no. 11 in this thread, which clearly shows the three options to Fresneo).

Buen camino, BombayBill!

The only wolf we came across is firmly fixed to the ground, not a bit interested in pilgrims...
See @trecile’s picture.

I may be totally wrong about this, but what I have been told by those who know far more about wildlife than I do, is that you will be lucky to see a wolf, because they usually make a quick get-away when human beings approach.

On my Levante, I had stepped behind a bush while my two companions waited discreetly nearby and they reported a marvelous sighting. Wolf locked eyes with them and then sauntered away. I was sorry to miss it but glad that my bathroom break had facilitated their encounter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mieres Day 5
Staying at Universidad 20e very nice private room. However this probably not available once school starts. Some fellow walkers are opting to stay here rather than pay private room weekend prices in Oviedo.
Just to say that the university has been taking in pilgrims for a while now, since the municipal albergue has closed. They have agreed to do it (at least this is my understanding) until the new municipal albergue is open.

Oviedo tomorrow for you! That city is loved by many forum members, and for good reason!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 6 Oviedo

All done. The town is busy for the weekend and it was hard to find a reasonable place. I chose not to go to the Albergue. For the data driven among you here are the key datum.

I chose poles and poncho. My plan was 6 days. Pack was 10 kg. My snacks were peanuts and power bars. My poison was Ribera and Rioja. My app Wise Pilgrim. My shoes Altra Olympus. I whined and moaned where appropriate and only exaggerated it when I thought it would result in larger portions or pourings.

Peace Out.

Last edited:
Day 1 Leon - La Robla
Stayed at Bar Mundo on the Monday Aug 29. I booked ahead. Reception reported only 2 Pilgrims including me. But she said the Sat/ Sunday was busier. I have taken care to walk between the Aug / Sept surge and to avoid leaving Leon with the weekend walkers. So in Robla I can only see 2 Pilgrims. However that’s not to say Bar Mundo’s rooms are not taken as there are temporary workers in town. Bar Mundo rooms are basic and yes they smell of smoke but I was thrilled to have a private room with shower for 20e. Very kind woman at the bar.
Hi just wondering if Leon to La Robla at 27 km feels like a long 27km or an easy walk? I’d start on Friday Oct 21st. Thanks

Hi Bombay Bill, Missed this thread until just now. The summer Embrujo prices will end in mid September and will climb to €42 without dinner. If I am able to meet a fellow Peregrino/Peregrina in late September hope to share. Thank you for your live posts.

Hi Laurie, will very much avoid any rope climbing while carrying my 🎒. The walk is coming into focus for me and would very much like to avoid testing “112”: Peregrina 🐢 lying flat among the brambles & ticks. Thanks for updating.
Can you update price you paid at Posada Embrujo¿ I’m headed that way last around Oct 22/23 so wondering actual price for pilgrims…..their ads do distinguish pilgrims but do t post any price for pilgrims. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi just wondering if Leon to La Robla at 27 km feels like a long 27km or an easy walk? I’d start on Friday Oct 21st. Thanks
I didn't find León to La Robla difficult. The first part is along the river, later some up and down but nothing like later on. Mind you, I didn't stop in La Robla but carried on to Pola de Gordon (35+ km).

I didn't find León to La Robla difficult. The first part is along the river, later some up and down but nothing like later on. Mind you, I didn't stop in La Robla but carried on to Pola de Gordon (35+ km).
That's my Day 1 plan too.
How did you find the accomodation options at La Pola de Gordon?
Does this mean you are pushing through to Pajares tomorrow?

That's my Day 1 plan too.
How did you find the accomodation options at La Pola de Gordon?
Does this mean you are pushing through to Pajares tomorrow?
I walked the Salvador June 2021 when all the municipals were closed so I didn't have much choice. I ended up staying in a pension in Pola de Gordon, Pajares and Pola de Lena. The final day was to Oviedo. Most walk the Salvador in more than 4 days but it worked for me. I then continued on the Primitivo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Lee, I will arrive in Leon at 5 pm after a 7am flight to Madrid so not sure about 27 km the first day unless it’s pretty flat. But at least it allows me more flexibility after La Robla to adapt to weather and hopefully find a walking buddy for the mountain days

Wikiloc trails for Leon to La Robla show about 350 m elevation gain and about 250 dissent. It is not strenuous, as Lee said, but it’s not flat in my opinion. I think the only other option before 11 problem would be Albergue in Cabanillas. And you’d have to bring your own food.

Can you update price you paid at Posada Embrujo¿ I’m headed that way last around Oct 22/23 so wondering actual price for pilgrims…..their ads do distinguish pilgrims but do t post any price for pilgrims. Thanks
Hi Collete,

I booked there for my stay in the first week in October and it's €42 for a room.

They have a website http://www.posadaelembrujo.es/

They don't seem to pick up the email address on the website but are very responsive on whatsapp +34 659 030 282

i was able to use the translate via whatsapp and it was easy to organise.

You will also need to tell them if you want dinner (it's €10)

I understand it is possible to stay in the albergue (far cheaper) and pre-order your dinner from the posada for take away.

Had considered doing this, but heard the posada is lovely,

When I arrive I'll have walked nearly 60 km in two days, so I'm thinking why not have a bit of comfort - the rest of the trip as far as SDC will be shared accommodations so I'll be be back on budget

https://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino-de-san-salvador/poladura-de-la-tercia

https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/poladura-tercia

Phil

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I booked there for my stay in the first week in October and it's €42 for a room.
Some have wondered why the special pilgrim prices for September have disappeared. Seems counter-intuitive that the room would be more expensive in lower season, but it’s because of fuel costs. No heat needed in September. Heating rooms is now twice what it cost a year ago, I’ve been told.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back