• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salvador/Primitivo vs. Salvador/Norte (Aviles)

Chomps

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
I would love to hear opinions on deciding whether to do Salvador/Primitivo vs. Salvador/Norte (Aviles). I would be alone, in June.

Thank you so much.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would recommend that you walk the Primitivo. It is a wonderful camino. It’s beautiful. It’s social, but not too crowded ( at least when I have walked it). It has more of a camino/pilgrimage vibe than the Norte, in my opinion. Some are concerned about the elevation gain but if you make it through the Salvador you can do the Primitivo. If there is ever a question about walking the Primitivo, the answer is always “Yes”.

While I am a big fan of the del Norte, I would think that Salvador followed by Primitivo will have a much better vibe for you. The beaches and restaurants of the del Norte are very seductive indeed, but the Salvador + Primitivo route will immerse you in deep Spain, its history and the extraordinary hills and people of this region, even if you may emerge a cider-drinking Visigoth, to the wonder and delight of your friends and family.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do the Primitivo, and for sure you will not be alone. Even if I don't understand your "solo walking" syndrome.

Just my view but either way I felt the Salvador is a very limited Camino in my opinion...we only saw 5 pilgrims when I did it in early September last year...many albergues were completely empty, many bars/restaurants didn't have stamps and had no clue so whilst I loved the rural aspect of it it got a bit tedious not having anywhere to resupply for days on end and then towns with literally no services. So was a huge contrast to the Primitivo, which is also quiet.

I did the Salvador about a week ago. Quiet solitude, beautiful. The Primitivo has more pilgrims but it's not crowded. There are some cities like Oviedo, Lugo, Melide, and Santiago. You will encounter pilgrims in the cities. It also has smaller towns like Ferriere and Tineo. The Primitivo is beautiful from the mountains and seclusion. The Norte is beautiful for mountains and seas. The Primitivo offers more solitude.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just finished Madrid, Salvador and Primitivo.
Definitely the Primitivo was a favourite - beautiful in every respect, scenery was stunning!
Save the entire Del Norte for another time. Are you doing the first part of the Norte from Irun to the split?👣👣

Definitely the Primitivo was a favourite - beautiful in every respect, scenery was stunning!
Save the entire Del Norte for another time. Are you doing the first part of the Norte from Irun to the split?👣👣
Trying to decide whether to do Primitivo or Norte (from Aviles) immediately after Salvador.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I fly out tomorrow to Madrid to start the same combination of Caminos. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or, if you are tired of the mountains take the Norte. There's still some beautiful coastline before you turn inland again at Ribadeo.
When I did the Norte in 2018 and came to the split at Casquita (decisions, decisions!) the thought of more ascents/descents kept me on the Norte which was beautiful too.
After the Salvador I embraced more mountains!!

When I did the Norte in 2018 and came to the split at Casquita (decisions, decisions!) the thought of more ascents/descents kept me on the Norte which was beautiful too.
After the Salvador I embraced more mountains!!
I did the same on my 2018 Camino del Norte, also it was July and very busy. I was concerned that a large number of Norte pilgrims switching to the Primitivo plus those starting the Primitivo from Oviedo would add up to continue the bed shortage I had experienced since Irun. I'm now on the Norte again and haven't experienced anyone having trouble getting a bed at this time of year, and I'm definitely going on the Primitivo this time. I'm just not going to tell my calves about it, they have already been complaining too much. 😂

I did the same on my 2018 Camino del Norte, also it was July and very busy. I was concerned that a large number of Norte pilgrims switching to the Primitivo plus those starting the Primitivo from Oviedo would add up to continue the bed shortage I had experienced since Irun. I'm now on the Norte again and haven't experienced anyone having trouble getting a bed at this time of year, and I'm definitely going on the Primitivo this time. I'm just not going to tell my calves about it, they have already been complaining too much. 😂
I did the Norte 2018 too starting in early May!
Don’t tell the calves - they should be well primed by now😂👣
You will definitely enjoy the Primitivo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back