• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salvador questions

Perambulating Griffin

Time of past OR future Camino
Note from the mods: After adding @Perambulating Griffin to our calendar, I moved the post out of the thread because there are some questions that will get lost on the calendar thread:

Late 40's. Experienced pilgrim but new to the Salvador. Departing León Sept 20. Hoping for 5 days to Oviedo on foot. Then the Primitivo over 13 days. Questions about how to use GPS tracks designed for Google Earth if I lose cell service. I also have Wise Pilgrim and I think that can work without cell service? Most concerned about getting lost on day 3 Polladura to Llanos.
✅

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, @Perambulating Griffin, first you shouldn’t be too worried about getting lost on the Salvador, because it is well marked. But I heartily agree with the idea of having GPS because there are some remote mountain stages. I use wikiloc.com, and can download offline maps and then follow trails on my phone. I don’t have to have my phone in my hands, though, which is very nice, because wikiloc will beep at me if I go off trail.

I think all of the map programs have offline maps that will work without data.

I think you will love this route — have you decided about visiting the ancient churches in Oviedo?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wouldn’t try running Godgle Earth on my phone- uses far too much processing power. Absolutely excellent for scoping and planning purposes. Maps.me (my favourite) and most, if not all, the available mapping apps use GPS location and will work on your phone in “airplane” mode provided you have downloaded the relevant maps in advance. No network connection required. I’m sure it is perfectly easy to download and add tracks to your given mapping app but I’ve never used it since I realized that the track I’d downloaded was recorded by someone with no sense of direction and a serious digestive issue. I did start to wonder after the track lunged off-road into a clump of bushes for the third time in an hour

how to use GPS tracks designed for Google Earth if I lose cell service.
You refer specifically to Google Earth, but there are other mapping programs you can use. One very popular free one is maps.me. In advance, you download the maps for the part of Spain you will be in, then you download whatever tracks you want to be able to follow. While you are walking, you only need the GPS signal (which all phones have) and you can see the little dot/marker showing where you are, and where the trail is.

You can browse through many threads on this topic by clicking on the tag maps, GPS & tracks.

Hi, @Perambulating Griffin, first you shouldn’t be too worried about getting lost on the Salvador, because it is well marked. But I heartily agree with the idea of having GPS because there are some remote mountain stages. I use wikiloc.com, and can download offline maps and then follow trails on my phone. I don’t have to have my phone in my hands, though, which is very nice, because wikiloc will beep at me if I go off trail.

I think you will love this route — have you decided about visiting the ancient churches in Oviedo?
I have not made a decision... I love architectural history and church history... so it feels *probable*. But I have to allow for the possibility that the one rest day I can take will need to be earlier in my walk...

I'm going to look up the wikiloc information... I like the *beeping* warning!

Thank you!
Funny question... will thin, light-weight trousers be enough against stinging nettles on narrow goat paths? or do I need thicker than that? My intended ones are very light-weight, water resistant, quick dry etc., but I've heard that the nettles are vicious... I've never been stung in 4 caminos but it seems almost unavoidable on the Poladura to Someron day...

Finally, is anyone familiar with the Wise Pilgrim maps and whether those trails work offline?

Thanks any/all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used only the Wise Pilgrim map/app on the Salvador with no problem.

Correction - there was one instance where I was unsure because the trail pointed me in a direction where I had to open someone's gate to continue, and I was afraid that I was trespassing, but a local told me that I was going the right way.

If considering using Maps.me then be aware that it routes personal data via Moscow.

OrganicMaps is based on the Maps.me code without the data privacy issues.

You can also use the mapy.cz app - it already has the Camino routes pre-loaded, so you don't have to download any extra files. You do have to zoom in to see the routes, but that shouldn't be a problem while you are on the Camino. Here's a screenshot of the area around Poladura de la Tercia. The dark blue line is the Camino del Salvador.

Screenshot_20220818-181150.png

Last edited:
If considering using Maps.me then be aware that it routes personal data via Moscow.
I had no idea.
But it turns out @DoughnutANZ isn't kidding. Here's the info:
The application was initially developed by Zurich-based MapsWithMe GmbH with a development office in Minsk.

In 2012, MapsWithMe came in first in the Startup Monthly competition in Vilnius. The team won a nine-week traineeship in Silicon Valley as a prize.[16] In November 2014, Maps.me was acquired by Mail.Ru Group for 542 million rubles (around US$14 million at that time) to be integrated with My.com, and the app was made free of charge.[17][non-primary source needed] The engineering team was relocated to the Mail.Ru Group office in Moscow to continue working on the project.

I use the OSMand app, with downloaded maps, and just checked its bonafides:
OsmAnd is developed by a Dutch private limited company, OsmAnd B.V. located in Amstelveen, the Netherlands.[19][13]

Camino maps are not preloaded, but it was super easy to download the maps from the wonderful Dutch camino site, and overlay them on the OSMand basemap. (I don't get beeped at, though, which is a very neat feature!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I've also heard that nettles along the Salvador can be an issue. I'm uncertain which part of the route was referenced or what time of year, and was also considering this very morning if thin pants were a decent alternative to hiking trousers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We encountered stinging nettles on our October walk....after the hill climb from Mieres you start the descent and after some time - just before a bridge which is well-marked with XX, the path goes off the road to the right into a delightful stretch of brambles and nettles and ferns
img_7373.jpg

The one member of our party wearing tights was much less affected than the rest of us who were bare-legged.

I came upon this thread by accident this evening, and it has given me needed inspiration. I have decided that I want to walk the Salvador/Primitivo from Leon after I finish serving as a hospitalera in Rabanal. I immediately ordered Wise Pilgrim's Primitivo guidebook but I don't know whether it will arrive before I leave on Sept. 8 or what I can use as a guidebook for the Salvador. I definitely want to visit the ancient churches in Oviedo. I shouuld have about six weeks to do all this, leaving Rabanal in the middle of October, bus to Leon, and the rest of October and all of November to finish the Salvador/Primitivo in Santiago. I guess I could manage with just gronze to get me through the Salvador. My plans for the Podiensis to Cahors are gradually coming together. This year may be an interesting walk on the caminos. And all the best to @Perambulating Griffin .
I just noticed that my order for Wise Pilgrim's guidebook for the Primitivo has already been filled. With that degree of promptness, I may well receive it before I leave.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
after the hill climb from Mieres you start the descent and after some time - just before a bridge which is well-marked with XX,
Thanks for that info, @Kiwi-family — I think that is the same spot that the Spanish blog I linked to describes.

Hoping that’s the only place you experienced this. Is there a time of year when they are more prevalent? The blog describes an August walk and you went in October, so the “season” at least spans several months!

Thanks for that info, @Kiwi-family — I think that is the same spot that the Spanish blog I linked to describes.

Hoping that’s the only place you experienced this. Is there a time of year when they are more prevalent? The blog describes an August walk and you went in October, so the “season” at least spans several months!
Good Morning;
As far as I can tell from reading about the plant, the European variety is close to 3-season plant that dies down only in winter.
I think I will take my thicker pants, and carry Benadryl.
Does anyone now how *long* the welts from the stings last?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don’t remember that there are narrow goat paths on the Salvador. Or that there were stinging nettles. Have others had this issue?
there are mountain paths which can be narrow?

the two portions with possible nettles that come to mind are Santa Marina - Llanos and Fresno - Hervias. I wouldn't know particularly because I was more concerned with rain and slipping on stones and roots, but the vegetation was quite thick at times. I didn't take the munisteriu variant for the above reasons and this is the portion is reported to be a bit overgrown sometimes. from memory, there were far more ferns then nettles. and there were ticks so long trousers are recommended.

Last edited:
I have done a little searching in Spanish and one blog does mention nettles (ortigas) on the day from Mieres to Oviedo — specifically after Olloniego.

ah, yes, the climb from El Portazgo to Picculanza. there were indeed nettles there and it was a bit overgrown at the start, too. but the whole portion was maybe 500m in all? very welcome shade in the hot sun.

We encountered stinging nettles on our October walk....after the hill climb from Mieres you start the descent and after some time - just before a bridge which is well-marked with XX, the path goes off the road to the right into a delightful stretch of brambles and nettles and ferns
img_7373.jpg

The one member of our party wearing tights was much less affected than the rest of us who were bare-legged.
that must be the descent into Olloniego. it wasn't as bad when I was there in july, though, maybe enough pilgrims cleared and stomped on enough nettles beforehand. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
that probably depends entirely on a person. I don't have very visible marks only some redness, it only stings for a bit, then I forget about it and it's gone. I do get stung through my trousers sometimes, though.

there were ticks
Were the ticks more prevalent in the overgrown paths, or throughout the wooded portions? What type of ticks? I just bought a face & neck mesh to protect me from the bumblebees and bees and big black flies. The Peregrina 👽 widow look. Most becoming.

I walked the San Salvador in 2019. I had the stages from Gronze for backup, but I found the route well marked. There were only a couple places I may have gotten off track, but I figured it out. As for your question on lightweight pants, I wore the quick dry hiking pants that I usually do when hiking and they were fine. I wouldn't advise wearing shorts on the overgrown parts of the trail.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Were the ticks more prevalent in the overgrown paths, or throughout the wooded portions? What type of ticks?
probably on pretty much all overgrown sections, in the woods and in the more open spaces. perhaps it was just a good year for them?

the ticks were the small ones that are supposedly more human oriented. (as opposed to certain parts of camino frances where there were the big ones which supposedly prefer animals.)

Ender’s guide in English is extremely detailed (for some, it is too much info!) and was updated this year.

See it here.
I see what you mean by "detailed". I was thinking, maybe 20 pages for a five day walk and I could just photocopy it. Having had a look, I downloaded it on my phone. I remember going left at the pilgrim statue at San Marcos, where the Salvador goes right, so at least I know exactly where to start.

I walked the Salvador/Primitivo combination in May. I can’t wait to go do it again with my wife!

The Salvador was the most beautiful Camino I’ve walked. I used the Camino Ninja app and its map function saved me twice in woods where markers had fallen over. So, I swear by it. I didn’t come across any nettles at all.

I also planned 5/13 days. I did the Salvador in 5, but shortened the Primitivo to 11. The Salvador prepared me for the Primitivo, and the lack of crowds encouraged me to walk Lugo-Santiago in three days to limit my exposure to the many people on the Frances.

You’ll love it!

Bob

PS - I posted my entire journey in the Live section of the forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have not made a decision... I love architectural history and church history... so it feels *probable*. But I have to allow for the possibility that the one rest day I can take will need to be earlier in my walk...

I'm going to look up the wikiloc information... I like the *beeping* warning!

Thank you!
Funny question... will thin, light-weight trousers be enough against stinging nettles on narrow goat paths? or do I need thicker than that? My intended ones are very light-weight, water resistant, quick dry etc., but I've heard that the nettles are vicious... I've never been stung in 4 caminos but it seems almost unavoidable on the Poladura to Someron day...

Finally, is anyone familiar with the Wise Pilgrim maps and whether those trails work offline?

Thanks any/all.
I don’t remember that there are narrow goat paths on the Salvador. Or that there were stinging nettles. Have others had this issue?
I just came back, had one time a stinging nettle due to not paying attention. There are small goat paths to get down to Pajares, but if you watch out it is fine even with shorts and relatively low socks, so a lightweight trouser should be perfect. Paths were broad enough to take a bike, but the guy who did take it with him was taking the 'carretera' next day as he said he learnt the lesson. Accommodation in La Robla is difficult, due to workers of the factory, I stayed in Cabanillas (no services nor bar, I went to La Seca for a drink and cooling off my feet in the river there) and Buiza, having both albergues to myself. Day to Pajares was still fine, so beautiful!! Most others stayed in the pension in La Robla for 20 euros or went to La Pola de Gordon. Enjoy the caminos lots!!

Great thread, everyone. I'm planning to start walking Camino San Salvador in early October and am wearing trousers so am hoping to have a respectful relationship with ortigas...Wise Pilgrim's apps for the Caminos have been extremely helpful, as is Camino Ninja (RIP). God willing, when I reach Oviedo I will turn west and walk Primitivo to Santiago. Shout out to Bob Yates' recent posts! And @pelegrino2000 's blogs! And @petrah 's recent post! Thanks everyone! I have a couple questions of my own; if necessary I'll post them separately...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hopefully seeing how the Salvador is becoming more popular these days, come October the track has been trampled by enough peregrinos that you can walk through without getting stung by nettles!

Nettles also make great tea….. and if you can pick the leaves without getting stung, is actually a great natural antihistamine!

€149,-
I shall be walking the route in the second half of October and also hope that the track will have been trampled enough by then to destroy the nettles when I walk through.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Note from the mods: After adding @Perambulating Griffin to our calendar, I moved the post out of the thread because there are some questions that will get lost on the calendar thread:

Late 40's. Experienced pilgrim but new to the Salvador. Departing León Sept 20. Hoping for 5 days to Oviedo on foot. Then the Primitivo over 13 days. Questions about how to use GPS tracks designed for Google Earth if I lose cell service. I also have Wise Pilgrim and I think that can work without cell service? Most concerned about getting lost on day 3 Polladura to Llanos.
✅
Hi. Just returned from the San Salvador. Only once was there a possibility of getting lost and even there I did not have to use GPS. I would suggest maybe taking 6 days to enjoy its beauty even more but then again you are also going on the Primitivo. I have Maps.me on my phone with all the Camino routes downloaded onto same. Maps.me on its own will ensure you never get lost. https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/#spanje

P

Late 40's. Experienced pilgrim but new to the Salvador. Departing León Sept 20. Hoping for 5 days to Oviedo on foot. Then the Primitivo over 13 days. Questions about how to use GPS tracks designed for Google Earth if I lose cell service. I also have Wise Pilgrim and I think that can work without cell service? Most concerned about getting lost on day 3 Polladura
I shall be walking the route in the second half of October and also hope that the track will have been trampled enough by then to destroy the nettles when I walk through.
Hi. Just back! Very few nettles and didn't meet any ticks. Met a couple who walked with minimal gear and sports type shorts. We stayed in same albergue 3 evenings and except for the odd scratch they had no issues whatsoever. They even questioned my use of long pants. Anyhow enjoy your trip and its beauty. It was an incredible week. Daniel

I walked the Salvador/Primitivo combination in May. I can’t wait to go do it again with my wife!

The Salvador was the most beautiful Camino I’ve walked. I used the Camino Ninja app and its map function saved me twice in woods where markers had fallen over. So, I swear by it. I didn’t come across any nettles at all.

I also planned 5/13 days. I did the Salvador in 5, but shortened the Primitivo to 11. The Salvador prepared me for the Primitivo, and the lack of crowds encouraged me to walk Lugo-Santiago in three days to limit my exposure to the many people on the Frances.

You’ll love it!

Bob

PS - I posted my entire journey in the Live section of the forum.
Thanks for all this! I’m reasonably fit — even after COV —but I also have few chances to walk any kind of elevation gains and losses where I live. OTOH, I do not find the upward stretch that starts between Orbigo and Astorga to be problematic, nor the central Portuguese route, which also has its ups and downs for about 3 days between Tui and Padron.
Tired at the end of a day? Yes! But not done in, so I‘m hoping to be OK.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I got lost on the Salvador twice!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can you tell us what happened?
We were going from Puente de Pradera (I think) to Pajares. There was huge mountain and there were two yellow arrows and it was hard to tell which was correct. We thought it was straight up which was hell through nettles. Way up I checked the altitude and it was 5200 ft and the highest point on the San Salvador is about 4900 ft I think. I called the cops and they send they would send a patrol car. I told them a patrol car would never get up the trail but they didn't listen. So we told them we were going to go back the way we came, always 100% correct. When we got most of the way down we saw a big huge yellow arrow to the right toward the highway so we took it. In the meantime the cops called and wanted to know where we were. I explained,and we had to wait for them to come and take down out names and passport numbers, the usual beaurocratic stuff. Then they asked if we wanted a ride to Pajares. We said no. Worst mistake ever. We crossed the highway and followed the signs to Pajares until we came to a HUGE herd of cows and a big black bull sitting right at the entrance of the trail to Pajares. Well we just didn't think we could do that so we took a trail to the left for an hour in heat and path full of rocks to the town of San Miguel. We asked and were told Pajares was another hour uphill!!! The village had NOTHING. No store, no bar, nothing. I told a young lady there I needed a beer. She disappeared and came back with two beers and would not take a dime. Another Camino angel. There was an old man sitting there under the tree and I mentioned a taxi and bingo! he knew one called and the taxi too us up to Pajares!

Holy smokes! Glad it all worked out.
We were going from Puente de Pradera (I think) to Pajares. There was huge mountain and there were two yellow arrows and it was hard to tell which was correct. We thought it was straight up which was hell through nettles. Way up I checked the altitude and it was 5200 ft and the highest point on the San Salvador is about 4900 ft I think. I called the cops and they send they would send a patrol car. I told them a patrol car would never get up the trail but they didn't listen. So we told them we were going to go back the way we came, always 100% correct. When we got most of the way down we saw a big huge yellow arrow to the right toward the highway so we took it. In the meantime the cops called and wanted to know where we were. I explained,and we had to wait for them to come and take down out names and passport numbers, the usual beaurocratic stuff. Then they asked if we wanted a ride to Pajares. We said no. Worst mistake ever. We crossed the highway and followed the signs to Pajares until we came to a HUGE herd of cows and a big black bull sitting right at the entrance of the trail to Pajares. Well we just didn't think we could do that so we took a trail to the left for an hour in heat and path full of rocks to the town of San Miguel. We asked and were told Pajares was another hour uphill!!! The village had NOTHING. No store, no bar, nothing. I told a young lady there I needed a beer. She disappeared and came back with two beers and would not take a dime. Another Camino angel. There was an old man sitting there under the tree and I mentioned a taxi and bingo! he knew one called and the taxi too us up to Pajares!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK... so about the cattle in the fields, and most particularly the bulls. I am sensible enough not to mess with a cow either...
But seriously? One just "legs it" away from the bulls who are suddenly miffed? *must* we travel across this field? Is there no fence-line to follow around it? I am rather doubtful that with a full pack I can outrun an annoyed bull, and I would not even lay money on it on a day without a pack...
And dogs that attack? *ATTACK* or bark a lot? I've been mauled by a dog and have a bit of a phobia.
Seriously rethinking this route. Perhaps I can walk Leon to Astorga, bus up to Pajares, and be beyond the worst of the wildlife and bees.

I have had several challenging interactions with dogs on camino, and have adjusted to them. so as to remain safe, so far. But there are some dogs on the Invierno route that carry fierceness to a new level, in a location where there is no other way to avoid them but to walk past and hope that they cannot break their chains. At present, I am fairly confident that I could manage ordinary dog behaviour on the Salvador. But if I had been mauled by dogs (I was bitten once, by a dachsund defending the family home) I would certainly try to find a way to go around when threatened or in a neighbourhood where they were known to attack. From what @Canche says, it is possible to get a taxi at the place where he had problems on the Salvador. It might be worth it to look into what taxi services, or other public transit, are available in the neighbourhood.

I have had several challenging interactions with dogs on camino, and have adjusted to them. so as to remain safe, so far. But there are some dogs on the Invierno route that carry fierceness to a new level, in a location where there is no other way to avoid them but to walk past and hope that they cannot break their chains. At present, I am fairly confident that I could manage ordinary dog behaviour on the Salvador. But if I had been mauled by dogs (I was bitten once, by a dachsund defending the family home) I would certainly try to find a way to go around when threatened or in a neighbourhood where they were known to attack. From what @Canche says, it is possible to get a taxi at the place where he had problems on the Salvador. It might be worth it to look into what taxi services, or other public transit, are available in the neighbourhood.
Never a dog problem on the Salvador.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everyone’s experience is different. But, I did have one dog issue that I wrote about in my posts. It was actually just after leaving Pajares. I crossed the bridge outside of town and made the left. I was alone. There was a BIG dog the charged across the field and under the fence that was supposed to keep it away and protecting the animals. Not good, but it never attacked me. Just menaced me. BUT, others that went by as a group later the same day had no issue at all. I think this can happen anywhere. Don’t let this deter you!!!

Unfortunately it's a bit late now but the highest point on the San Salvador is close to 1568 metres.
OK... so about the cattle in the fields, and most particularly the bulls. I am sensible enough not to mess with a cow either...
But seriously? One just "legs it" away from the bulls who are suddenly miffed? *must* we travel across this field? Is there no fence-line to follow around it? I am rather doubtful that with a full pack I can outrun an annoyed bull, and I would not even lay money on it on a day without a pack...
And dogs that attack? *ATTACK* or bark a lot? I've been mauled by a dog and have a bit of a phobia.
Seriously rethinking this route. Perhaps I can walk Leon to Astorga, bus up to Pajares, and be beyond the worst of the wildlife and bees.
Hi. Having recently being attacked and bitten by a dog while training to do this route I was, like yourself fearful and anxious setting off on this route last week. However the magic of the Camino once again took hold and off I went on my own for the week. I took 6 days to give myself time to admire its beauty. On the third day I exited a village and two very large dogs appeared in the distance and ran towards me barking. They were not chained and for whatever reason I kept walking towards them and raised my stick saying "Allez" and they just stood there looking at me. It must be a Camino thing because all fear left me. At home however the psychological affect of being bitten was terrible and made my local walks very difficult indeed. As for livestock I walked through cattle on 3/4 occasions and even had to go off the path twice as they were gathered on the actual path. Most Spaniah cows have horns and only once did I see a bull. My only suggestion is to treat it like any other Camino and enjoy your Journey. The only difference I found on the Salvador was its solitude. 4 pilgrims all week and only met them in the evenings at the Albergues. Bizarrely when I reached Oviedo I met a lot of Pilgrims who had just walked the same route but didn't meet any of them during the way. As always its your journey and whichever route you take may your God be with you and Buen Camino, Daniel.

Hi, @Perambulating Griffin,

I agree with @Dilbin’s advice to treat this just like any other camino. There is surely no more livestock on the Salvador than on the Vdlp, dogs are an occasional hazard on any camino, and people get lost on well marked caminos all the time. This is not to minimize those experiences, just to say that they are not particular to the Salvador.

I think all these individual reports combine to make you think this is a uniquely hazard-laden route, when it is not. I’ve walked the Salvador four times now, and have not had any worse experiences with dogs or livestock than on any other untraveled route. But of course, it’s all a question of personal perception of risk, and so if reading these accounts makes you anxious and doubtful, it’s likely to really put a damper on your camino. And maybe rethinking is the thing to do.

But one thing I would not recommend is starting the Salvador in Pajares. The stunning beauty is between Buiza and Pajares. Pajares on to Pola de Lena has its beautiful Asturian scenery, but the mountains between Buiza and Pajares are what make this camino a really great walk.

Buen camino, Laurie

€46,-

I agree with @Dilbin’s advice to treat this just like any other camino. There is surely no more livestock on the Salvador than on the Vdlp, dogs are an occasional hazard on any camino, and people get lost on well marked caminos all the time. This is not to minimize those experiences, just to say that they are not particular to the Salvador.

I think all these individual reports combine to make you think this is a uniquely hazard-laden route, when it is not. I’ve walked the Salvador four times now, and have not had any worse experiences with dogs or livestock than on any other untraveled route. But of course, it’s all a question of personal perception of risk, and so if reading these accounts makes you anxious and doubtful, it’s likely to really put a damper on your camino. And maybe rethinking is the thing to do.

But one thing I would not recommend is starting the Salvador in Pajares. The stunning beauty is between Buiza and Pajares. Pajares on to Pola de Lena has its beautiful Asturian scenery, but the mountains between Buiza and Pajares are what make this camino a really great walk.

Buen camino, Laurie
Wow! 4 times! but that is Laurie for you. Our inspiration.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you -- I am not generally fearful. I just know very little about cattle. On previous caminos I've seen plenty of cattle but they were always on the other side of a very secure fence, or they were on a road going through a town and didn't care one bit about the strangers standing off to the side.

I've been rattled a few times by loose dogs on camino. I forget where, and can only remember wishing I were not there. I've also seen locals beating the dogs away with sticks when they came begging for food at a table and I thought, "I'd be angry at humans too!"

Good to know that the Salvador has called you back so many many times.
I just don't want to be "that person" -- the one who ends up in trouble because they did something foolish and ended up being the cautionary tale...

Gracias por el animo en el coraje.

New question...
Is the last 1/3 Sept a time on the Salvador when one needs both a fleece and a puffer jacket?
Both a silk liner *and* a small down blanket?
I have a great Mountain Hardware fleece with a rain-resistant outer layer. Obviously, I can layer long-sleeve quick dry covered by short sleeve merino T-shirt, and I can have a legging layer under trousers.... can sleep in leggings and long sleeve shirt if need.
If I can get away with leaving behind the blanket, I'll save the better part of a pound. If I can also leave the puffer at home, that's another 1/4 pound or so.
Bringing Decathlon poncho that is very similar to the Altus: designed to go over my pack.
But I think I can't have everything, and I'm trying to come in at under 13 pounds instead of over 14.
Thoughts from the experienced?
Thanks in advance...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just don't want to be "that person" -- the one who ends up in trouble because they did something foolish and ended up being the cautionary tale...

Gracias por el animo en el coraje.
One thing to remember is that you don't have to do something foolish to end up in trouble.
The most careful of us can have an accident, through no fault of our own.
Missing a waymarker, a twisted ankle, one wrong step, an unexpectedly hot day, a collision with a bicigrino - any of these things are far more likely to turn us into cautionary tales than an errant bovine or dog.

So not to let the exotic fears stop you. Thinking about dire possibilities only creates angst - and it's all imaginary. For five years I wanted to walk the Invierno but had lots of imaginary fears. In the end, it was no problem at all, and all those fears? Just mindstuff.

Buen camino, @Perambulating Griffin - please let us know how it goes!

Good Morning;
As far as I can tell from reading about the plant, the European variety is close to 3-season plant that dies down only in winter.
I think I will take my thicker pants, and carry Benadryl.
For me less than a day, and we have a lot of nettles in England. Long trousers might be an idea though.

Belgian nettles may be nastier. Three days for me.
Though it probably depends more on how frequently exposed to nettles one's immune system is.
My current pair of walking trousers are rather thin and light-weight. I shall do my best to avoid the nettles and hope that they have been thoroughly beaten down by when I walk through.

Another thing about nettles is that they are annual (if that's the right word) they are at their tallest now and will die off in the autumn. Depending on when you walk they'll either be tall and attack you, small and avoidable or dead. Personally I intend to do the San Salvador in September in shorts and thrash any nettles back with my walking poles.

Another thing about nettles is that they are annual (if that's the right word) they are at their tallest now and will die off in the autumn. Depending on when you walk they'll either be tall and attack you, small and avoidable or dead.
Just to point out that @Kiwi-family’s nettles picture in post 14 was taken in October. I don’t remember ever having a problem, but I see that a fair number of others have.

€149,-
I shall be walking through the Salvador in the second half of October, so I can only hope that the nettles will either have died off or been crushed by walkers. But my memories of years living in England are that nettles in the garden just grew and grew throughout the summer/fall season and only died off gradually after the frosts arrived.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back