• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Same Camino over and over again

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
We have walked the CF twice, both winter, both via Valcarlos.

I wouldnt mind doing the Madrid, however, I was out-voted for the Portuguese (not coastal as again, this will be a winter walk)

I started planning but my heart wasn't totally, completely in it. I figured because it wont be for another 18 months.

My husband suggested, why don't we do the Frances again.

I was so happy at this suggestion!!! I mean I am pouring over the websites, working out the places to stay and places to avoid, thinking about what to leave home, just super excited to be doing the CF again.

Our first walk was snowy, wet and windy, the second was sunshine all the way, save for maybe 3 wet or windy days. We stayed in different places (1st Camino was March, there was a lot more open, the second was Dec/Jan, there was a lot more closed!!!) Different people, different scenery. Walking through lots of places were familiar and nice. We were able to walk alternative routes so some new scenery. We have created little traditions along the way which we will continue.

I also feel that there are some things that we not have quite got right, so want to re-visit that. ie skipping the last bit down to Zubiri - will definitely take the road! We were unable to buy food between Zubiri and Pamplona so would take a bigger picnic lunch and more snacks - that sort of thing. Leave earlier, just before sunrise, to watch the sunrise while we are walking, especially when walking out of a larger town like Logrono, Leon etc. We would like to do more sight-seeing and visit more churches along the way. We always arrive in Leon on a Monday when everything is closed (sight-seeing wise) So it would be nice to finally visit the museum.

So, are you a pilgrim that likes to walk the same route each time?

If so, please share, and why?

Just curious

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes. Do whatever makes you happy. Incidentally I do the opposite, never walk the same route more than once. That said, it was always fun to walk alternate route and end at the place one is familiar. Like Madrid to Sahagun, Irun to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Granada to Merida, Valencia to Zamora...
Always good that one is already familiar with the end point.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm a serial VdlP pilgrim, rider not walker. And I will do it again too, DV. The change I will make next time - whenever that is - will be that I will probably not overnight in the major cities. I'll find some nice village one side or the other. Make the experience different. I don't know why I feel so drawn to that particular route, but frankly (my dear) I don't give a damn! :)

I am currently planning my second Camino in September / October 2021. I decided to walk the coastal CP. But somehow my heart is also not completly involved when planning.

Again and again the wish pops up to walk the CF again. The CF in 2019 was a unique experience, but somehow I have the feeling that I didn't complete it, that I am still missing something - besides not getting a Compostela. I could have gotten one, since I walked the last 100 km from Sarria to SdC. But at the time it just did not seem important.

What do I mean by not completely finished? Due to my physical condition, I could not start in SJPdP which I wanted very much, and later I was never able to cover the same distances as others. Basically, I didn't care while walking, because there was so much to discover - about myself, others, the surrounding and the regional cuisine.

But looking back, I notice that I would have liked to make the experience of meeting familiar faces every now and then, which I seldomly did, due to not being able to walk average distances. As a result, I kept meeting new pilgrims, which was a good thing at the time, but I would like to have the other experience now.

Therefore I will probably not the CP September / October, but next year in May / June 2022.

This fact in itself I find fascinating, because otherwise I concur with evanlow:

Incidentally I do the opposite, never walk the same route more than once.
Same here. Normally I always look out for new experiences. So by repeating the CF, this definitely going to be a novelty for me.

** At the time being it wasn't important for me to get the Compostela. It somehow changed, even if I don't know yet why. Maybe I'll figure that out on the way.

Edit: I already did figure it out. Thanks ever so much, for opening this thread. Because of that, I just did read a thread I opened / wrote during my Camino in 2019 - in Palais de Rei - full of doubts. The pieces are falling into place 🌞 .

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Even when you walk the same route ...each camino is different. And if you leave early in the day...it definitely changes your views and perspectives. Staying at different accommodations and trying new places to eat also makes your experience new as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I need to start in SJPP in order to feel like I’ve finished the Frances. Idk why. I just do. When I go back it will be there. I started in Astorga last time. I’m thinking of doing the Invierno variant. And then to Finisterre. I don’t want to do all the other caminos, but I think I want to do the Norte at some point. I’m curious about January caminos, too. I generally plan for March.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I wouldnt mind doing the Madrid, however, I was out-voted for the Portuguese (not coastal as again, this will be a winter walk)

I started planning but my heart wasn't totally, completely in it. I figured because it wont be for another 18 months.

I was so happy at this suggestion!!! I mean I am pouring over the websites, working out the places to stay and places to avoid, thinking about what to leave home, just super excited to be doing the CF again.

Our first walk was snowy, wet and windy, the second was sunshine all the way, save for maybe 3 wet or windy days. We stayed in different places (1st Camino was March, there was a lot more open, the second was Dec/Jan, there was a lot more closed!!!) Different people, different scenery. Walking through lots of places were familiar and nice. We were able to walk alternative routes so some new scenery. We have created little traditions along the way which we will continue.

I also feel that there are some things that we not have quite got right, so want to re-visit that. ie skipping the last bit down to Zubiri - will definitely take the road! We were unable to buy food between Zubiri and Pamplona so would take a bigger picnic lunch and more snacks - that sort of thing. Leave earlier, just before sunrise, to watch the sunrise while we are walking, especially when walking out of a larger town like Logrono, Leon etc. We would like to do more sight-seeing and visit more churches along the way. We always arrive in Leon on a Monday when everything is closed (sight-seeing wise) So it would be nice to finally visit the museum.

Just curious
Your question reminded me of icecream. Out of all the flavors offered of a given brand, once I am caught up in the awe of one flavor, it is hard for me to pull myself away, even though I know others may be great and I am missing out. My compromise is usually 2 scoops - the new one on the top (in case I'm disappointed, I want to end with the tried and true treat). I've walked the CF twice and look forward to doing it again, definitely. This year my plan is to walk the Portugues, but, true to my 2 scoop theory, I have hopes and plans for walking the CF again in 2022.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Just curious
That's me! I have walked the Camino Frances on my own every year from 2011 to 2019, except in 2013 when I walked the Arles/Aragones Camino from Toulouse to Puente La Reina with a Camino friend. I love the Frances - it has a great infrastructure, it feels comfortable and safe, and it is different every time. I love walking into a bar or albergue and the owner recognizes me and welcomes me back. It is like one big community.

In my experience with the Camino Frances, I find it to be like peeling an onion - there ALWAYS seems to be another layer underneath.

Take your time, don't rush, savor the experience. What's the rush? Santiago will still be there whenever you arrive.

Ultreia!

Tom
Welcome back!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Been on Camino Fraances quite a few times - always a different trip! Several times I pre-planned to walk a different route.......but somehow always end up on CF. I won't be able to go again till 2023. However, this time I am planning on CF. It will be a slow go - knee and back issues, not to mention age. So far have worked out a 25km/day route and also a 20km/day route. Now I will look at my Camino passport stamps to see which albergues I want to stay at again.

Just curious
I've done three Caminos. One starting from Rouncesville(solo) in September, one from Porto(with a married couple) , and one from St Jean in May(with friend of 50 years). Next year will do the Norte Camino with a beloved friend.
The two Camino Frances were so different as to the energy, places, people. Each journey has it's own power and revelations. Might seem like the same path but it is not.
Enjoy. Buen Camino

I walked my first Camino from SJPP (solo) at age 71 in September/October 2018. When I finished, I thought I would probably never do it again. But!! After a month or two, it called to me again, and I would have walked in 2020. Now I'm planning to at least walk (probably solo again) the portion of the Way between Burgos and Leon, which I skipped in 2018, due to time constraints. I hope to go in the spring, 2022. Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I once met an elderly French man on the Chemin somewhere in France and he told me he had walked it 26 times. I asked him why, and he said, "Well, I've never met you, have I?"
🥰
It's about the people, the caring, the discoveries, the ancient path worn thin by all the soles and souls who've walked it, searching for something greater than themselves, and that delivers something new, every single day, even on the same path. Buen Camino (again), my friend.

I walked the CF three times before venturing onto other routes, and still go back every now and then and walk it again. I still think it is special and it has never disappointed me (although I probably disappoint it!)
Question for you Kanga as I too have walked the CF 3 times. Of course my first camino, second time when I started in Le Puy (It was camino culture shock when I hit the CF after the quiet and solitude in France). The third during November-December. All different and all good. After the second CF I swore off doing it any time between May and October because of the crowds. I have done the CP, Norte and soon the VDLP. You have walked caminos I hope to do one day.
I hope this is not too much of a semantical question but have all the caminos on all the different routes you have done "special"? I sometimes hear criticism from pilgrims about too much road walking or cobblestones or well you know. For me even with the intense hills sometimes, or the cobblestones or the screaming trucks along the CP, they have all been a slice of heaven and special. Have you felt this way about all the routes you have done?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Just curious
Hello,
Yes, I am so in love with Camino del Norte. I can never get enough of it. I find, and feel new things each time. Are we not married to the same people decades and still manage to find something new or find comforts within the familiarities!

Just curious
I have walked the Camino de Santiago twice and cannot wait to do it for a third time. I simply love it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Just curious
We have now missed out on the 2020 and 2021 Camino's as a result of Covid. In our minds we have packed and unpacked our backpacks a hundred times. We are hoping to have had our vaccines by end of this year so that we can start planning our walk. We've done 11 Camino's, some twice ie. the Portuguese, Del Norte and Frances, but as this walk gets in your blood we'd love to do the Frances again in 2022 as a sort of "Hello, we're back". I've now twice had bronchitis ending up in the clinic and its only the beginning of our winter so staying inside all day has really gotten to me. The roads are calling to me and my husband and the voice is getting stronger each day urging us to the Camino. Any one else feel the same?

Same for me, I walked the Camino Frances in 2020 and cannot wait to go back (July 2021) and this time I promise myself to take more time and feel less pressure to get to SDC. I love the many villages at the CF to stop over and the relative safety and festiveness that comes from the many other pilgrims with you on the route. I think I lived my happiest moments on the CF.

Attachments

• 239C6811-AF26-4A6F-8738-1EE5314D3799.jpeg
    239C6811-AF26-4A6F-8738-1EE5314D3799.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 5EAAF872-25F2-4DC7-A58F-CDC1AEAB414F.jpeg
    5EAAF872-25F2-4DC7-A58F-CDC1AEAB414F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Even when you walk the same route ...each camino is different. And if you leave early in the day...it definitely changes your views and perspectives. Staying at different accommodations and trying new places to eat also makes your experience new as well.
My thought exactly. I walked the Frances several times between 1996 and 2007, and it was never the same. Different people, different places to stay and even the route kept changing every time. Stiil ache to get back once again.

€149,-
Here is my take on it:

I have walked several Caminos. But the CF is close to my heart, for some reason. I find something new each time. I will walk it again, as soon as possible, but I will spend much more time on it this time: Shorter distances, more time for reflection, and much more "smelling the roses". Somehow, my heart decided to settle on the CF, so I am returning. Just following the calling of my heart. Easy as that.

Last edited:

Just curious
Good question. I did CF just once. Intention was to do one Camino. 4 Caminos later I am beginning to feel a draw back to CF. This is totally unexpected for me. Not sure if this is due to the pandemic or some of the wonderful recent posts on Facebook looking back on the Frances. One thing I'm sure of - I'm going walking again asap. Where to go?? Hmmmm

We have always done different routes: Frances, Portuguese, Norte, Primitivo, part of the Mozarabe, Geneva to Le Puy, Le Puy, Arles--and hoping to complete the last of the Vezelay this fall. That said, I think when you are walking 500 miles across a county, you are bound to have different experiences. "It's all good!"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have walked CF twice and it was different both times. I will walk the CP this year starting in September but I am already planning an other CF for 2022. I find that when you are not actually walking a Camino all you do is spend your time planning the next one.

I cycled CF, 20+ years ago. Since then I've walked and cycled others, and I did try walking the CF five years ago but bailed out after 200km. You can't cross the same river twice, i know, but I couldn't take the crowd. Each to their own.

My first Camino was the CF in 2017 with my wife and brother in law. Then in 2019 my wife and I did the Camino Portuguese. Needless to say I loved both. I can’t wait to do the CF again. It was so very special, the whole experience, the whole time. I’ve wanted to do it again ever since. Covid stopped me in 2020 and again this year, 2021.
Nothing will stop me in 2022.
I will vaccinate every finger and every toe if that’s what it takes!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For me it is like playing billards, you breake the pack from same spot everytime with the same power, but the balls are mixed up allways different. I did my portuguese and frances each twice, but they never have been the same. I did‘nt expect anything to repeat and have been open for new experiances, so the magic of the way surprised me everytime. For me there is no doubt that i will return to my favourites portuguese and frances.

My caminos always end in Santiago, so I have seen a fair bit of the Frances, as a linking route, on several different occasions, for example, as a way to join the Madrid and the Invierno on my last camino. I don't expect to see any of it this fall, as I walk the Levante to Zamora, then the VdlP to the Sanabres to Santiago. But I look forward to revisiting the VdlP/Sanabres and the final walk into Santiago. Maybe I will slow down a bit and look around more.

Like several others, my wife and I have walked Camino Frances three times, each time starting in St Jean and ending in Santiago. We have our favorite towns, favorite private albergues, favorite bars and restaurants. We love the anticipation and knowing what comes next and what action to take. For example, on day 2 we leave Roncesvalles at 7 am and hike to Zubiri. We know that the small grocery store closes at 2 pm on Saturdays and does not open later in the day. So we proceed directly to the store even before checking in at our albergue. For our upcoming CF, we are staying at places we've stayed before 67% of our overnights. And we take different side trips, such as Ermita de Santa Maria de Eunate or the monestary of Samos. In 2017 we hiked with my brother and his wife. Always a fun adventure and I can see us walking CF several more times. Bob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my experience with the Camino Frances, I find it to be like peeling an onion - there ALWAYS seems to be another layer underneath.

Take your time, don't rush, savor the experience. What's the rush? Santiago will still be there whenever you arrive.

Ultreia!

Tom
Tom, it is so, so good to see you back. Your detailed comments are always valued and appreciated, and were sorely missed by me when they stopped.
Just after your book was published, you suddenly disappeared and I had no idea what happened to you. I feared the worst - but now am so pleased to see you back and obviously up to full posting speed again.
What a joy.

Just curious
I have repeated the same route and I have walked different routes. I like both.

I like spending time with old friends. I like meeting new people and making new friends.

It is the same with Caminos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's me! I have walked the Camino Frances on my own every year from 2011 to 2019, except in 2013 when I walked the Arles/Aragones Camino from Toulouse to Puente La Reina with a Camino friend. I love the Frances - it has a great infrastructure, it feels comfortable and safe, and it is different every time. I love walking into a bar or albergue and the owner recognizes me and welcomes me back. It is like one big community.
Hi Marylynn, we've lost touch. I will be stareting the AAT in Austria September 12th, going on to Slovenia & Italy until )ctober 23rd. Any chance of a meet up? fondly sandi in Vancouver.

My wife and I have taken lots of photos of our three past caminos. It's so fun to go to a restaurant or private albergue where we've stayed before and show a pic of us enjoying a meal at a restaurant with the same server or hospitalero! Bob

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back