• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Samos or Sarria to Santiago

Chris Gi

Time of past OR future Camino
I have promised a friend that I will take her to do a part of the Camino Frances in 2020 (this will also celebrate my 80th birthday). She is probably not able to walk more than 7 - 8 miles a day and does not do well on hills!!!! I was wondering whether Samos or Sarria would be a better starting point. We really don't have any time restrictions so we can do this as easily as we like.

My one stipulation to her is that we WALK. I just did my first Camino earlier this year.... we started in Pamplona and we probably walked way over 200 miles (the rest by bus, train, taxi, horseback) but we did not actually walk the final 100 kilometers into Santiago so if I go back - this is what I would want to do so that I can get my "certificate of completion". In June we had chosen to go through Samos as we wanted to do that lovely walk there from Tricastella and we had wanted to see the beautiful monastery there. However, I think this time I need to choose which ever would be the easier (less hilly?) route so that Kathy will be able to feel comfortable and be able to achieve her goal.

I probably should add that Kathy is a capable walker and has trained with me in the past. However, she is constantly battling Plantar Fasciitis.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Samos to Sarria is longish downhill. Sarria to Portomarin is a 1000 foot climb to about Barbadelo, then a slightly deeper drop. The climb out of Portomarin has always seemed unrelenting up 1200 feet until Hospital da Cruz, Palais de Rei to Arzua must have a dozen small valley that add up to a very up/down hilly walk. You can see more details on Gronze>Camino Frances>Etapa 28> then click on 'ver perfil de la etapa'. It is a lovely section but definitely not flat like the meseta.

Samos to Sarria is longish downhill. Sarria to Portomarin is a 1000 foot climb to about Barbadelo, then a slightly deeper drop. The climb out of Portomarin has always seemed unrelenting up 1200 feet until Hospital da Cruz, Palais de Rei to Arzua must have a dozen small valley that add up to a very up/down hilly walk. You can see more details on Gronze>Camino Frances>Etapa 28> then click on 'ver perfil de la etapa'. It is a lovely section but definitely not flat like the meseta.
Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have promised a friend that I will take her to do a part of the Camino Frances in 2020 (this will also celebrate my 80th birthday). She is probably not able to walk more than 7 - 8 miles a day and does not do well on hills!!!! I was wondering whether Samos or Sarria would be a better starting point. We really don't have any time restrictions so we can do this as easily as we like.

My one stipulation to her is that we WALK. I just did my first Camino earlier this year.... we started in Pamplona and we probably walked way over 200 miles (the rest by bus, train, taxi, horseback) but we did not actually walk the final 100 kilometers into Santiago so if I go back - this is what I would want to do so that I can get my "certificate of completion". In June we had chosen to go through Samos as we wanted to do that lovely walk there from Tricastella and we had wanted to see the beautiful monastery there. However, I think this time I need to choose which ever would be the easier (less hilly?) route so that Kathy will be able to feel comfortable and be able to achieve her goal.

I probably should add that Kathy is a capable walker and has trained with me in the past. However, she is constantly battling Plantar Fasciitis.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed at a quite small hotel in Samos, Albaroque opposite the monastery. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and breakfast in the cafe / restaurant next door.

There is also a private Albergue in the town. Everything is in walking distance.

If you want to know what the Camino was like before everything went upscale, stay at the monastery itself. I loved it, but it would not be everybody's cup of tea. One big cavernous room filled with bunkbeds, no wifi, industrial-style unisex shower/toilet room.

But the walls are covered with charming murals, and it's staffed by volunteer hospitaleros who make up in warmth and hospitality whatever might be lacking in the latest bathroom amenities. I felt like I was part of a 1,000-year-old Benedictine tradition of welcome. And the experience of being in such a place may be one of the last of its kind.

The bar across the street serves good food and has free wifi. What more could you ask?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
And you can do a quided tour in th Monastery , so wonderful.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back