• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San fermin (running of the Bulls)

Wildling

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago 2013
St Jean to Santiago July 2016
Hello all,

I'm setting off from SJPP on 3rd July (all being well), I know my arrival in Pamplona will therefore coincide with San Fermin - I know this means crowds etc but that doesn't bother me, in fact I've always wanted to experience San Fermin. What is worrying me though is potential lack of beds - do pilgrims have problems finding albergue beds at this time ? Are the prices much higher (I'll be on a tight budget!)??

Any feedback welcome! Thank you :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We started almost the same date July 2014. The big alburgues were closed for San Fermin (Jesus and Maria, and I cannot remember the name of the other big one). Not sure about the smaller ones. The only pilgrims who we knew that were able to stay in Pamplona itself were those with reservations in a hotel or pension of some sort. I'm afraid to report that the prices were very high. Everyone else had to either stop on the outskirts or walk past to Cizur Minor (and then the young kids walked back for a night of partying).

FYI, actually walking through Pamplona turned out to be intense--the crowds in the inner city made walking impossible, especially with a pack. We ended up abandoning the arrows and walking around the north side of Pamplona before cutting in at a later gate.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Are the prices much higher (I'll be on a tight budget!)??
Yes. A fifty Euro room will be priced at three hundred or more. I made the mistake of leaving Pamplona on the first day of San Fermin, and the least expensive room was a college dorm room near the airport at about 100E. The crowds, behavior, and vomit are an acquired taste... ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
IMO, book a room with a couple of beds. You WILL find fellow peregrinos to fill the empty space in the room. Split the cost. Also, you may only pass this way once...

Here is a non-traditional suggestion that LTfit and I learned of while walking the Aragones last summer. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/our-camino-aragonés-june-2015.36782/

On the stage between Monreal and Puente la Reina, there is an albergue in Tiebas. Municipally run, I believe, and though we didn't go inside it seemed to be in good conditions. The hospitalero said he is happy to let pilgrims stay there for several days while they hop on the frequent municipal buses in and out of Pamplona. If you look at a map, you'll see Tiebas is about 14 km directly south of Pamplona. The Aragones is a really lovely alternative to the first days from SJPP, traffic seems to keep dropping so there's unlikely to be a crunch, and you have a place to sleep in San Fermin (with no price gouging)!

Buen camino, Laurie

... I know my arrival in Pamplona will therefore coincide with San Fermin - I know this means crowds etc but that doesn't bother me, in fact I've always wanted to experience San Fermin. What is worrying me though is potential lack of beds - do pilgrims have problems finding albergue beds at this time ? Are the prices much higher (I'll be on a tight budget!)??

Any feedback welcome! Thank you :)

The albergue in Trinidad de Arre 'should' be open, I personally would try to stay there and cross Pamplona at high speed very early the next morning to avoid the 'festivities', but that is just me ... Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.