• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Juan de la Pena

Silverton

Time of past OR future Camino
2003- CF ( various), Portugués (various), Aragonés, Inglés, Sanabrés
I'm hoping to visit the San Juan de la Pena monastery this time (my second Camino Aragonés). In the unlikely event that another Forum member might like to join me in a taxi--I'm not about to ascend or descend walking on my ancient knees), please pm me. I hope to be in Jaca on Friday 20 April or Sta Cilia the following day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Check to see if the bus is running up to the monastery. I think when I caught it it left Jaca around 9 am (late September). It also came down later in the day. The walk down the track was pretty terrible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I'm hoping to get a bus as Albertagirl did, and will certainly visit the Turismo office first, before trying a taxi. The Office was not able to advise me earlier, by email. Thanks, all.

The bus will be running every day (except perhaps Sunday) during the season. It's worth the trip and you can either go BACK to Jaca to begin walking or you can just walk from the Monastery, which we did one year. While the walk UP to the Monastery is crazy hard, the walk back DOWN is not that bad and can be beautiful in May.

Thanks, Annie. Opinions seem to vary on that walk DOWN, and I don't want to chance it with my 78yr knees (which have been remarkably sound until now!) Pinguingrino has also advised me, so I'll hopefully find a fairly easy solution. I didn't have the courage to arrange it with my Oregon relatives (hi, Portland!) on our C. Aragonés ten years ago, but I don't want to miss the Old Monastery this time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At SJdlP now! ALOSA bus is definitely running because it passed us with the driver shaking his head as we headed up into the snow... Currently snowed in at the hotel, in fact! Hope your weather is better...

We are Jaca today and have been told the bus driver is in the hospital and there is no bus. Not sure if walking is worth the effort? We climbed to Somport — but this sounds harder up and down. It is possibke to take Pamplona bus part way at 9 am and walk from Aragon Hotel nearSanta Cilia, or of course walk the whole way.

It was one of our favorite parts of the Camino, but each person is different. It’s 8.5km from Santa Cruz UPHILL. It would be a good day trip if you stay in Santa Cilia, but you’d have to walk 25km total.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I asked that sort of question three weeks ago, Vacajoe suggested that I might well be able to hitch a lift up or down with motorised tourists, once I started to go up to the Monastery. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do my short camino at this time--so I'm hoping for success in the autumn. I hope you are enjoying the visit to San Juan de la Pena today! Buen camino.

We are Jaca today and have been told the bus driver is in the hospital and there is no bus. Not sure if walking is worth the effort? We climbed to Somport — but this sounds harder up and down. It is possibke to take Pamplona bus part way at 9 am and walk from Aragon Hotel nearSanta Cilia, or of course walk the whole way.

My experience with walking to San Pena was pure HELL! The trail is washed out and very rough and quite long.
I suggest instead that you walk the regular stages and when you get to Santa Celia, you either walk up to the monastery or take a taxi up and walk back.

To repeat my own experience, I took a bus to San Juan de la Pena from Jaca, then back down to near the highway, where those of us going to Santa Cilia were dropped off to walk the short distance. Check at the tourist office in Jaca about booking the bus.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It’s a single road from Santa Cruz to the monasteries - if a car is on it, it WILL go by them. Hitching a ride can work!

I ask me if the gronze-routes are to long for me
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/jaca/atares/arres

So I have these possible alternative routes if I want to go shorter routes but visit San Juan de la Peña:
1. Somport - Castiello de Jaca 23,4km
2. Castiello de Jaca - Santa Cilia de Jaca 23,8km
3. "back" from Santa Cilia de Jaca to San Juan de la Peña; going retour to Santa Cruzde la Serós : 16,2km; bus -> Santa Cilia de Jaca 16:07-16:11 (lunes a sabados); then Santa Cilia de Jaca - Puente laReina de Jaca together 22,6km
http://laburundesa.com/pamplona-jaca/

I've been trying to work out a similar problem, and cannot get my head around it. I know the walking detour via San Juan de la Pena is beyond my abilities at this stage in life - but would really like to go to the monastery on my second Arrogones this year (I missed it the first time).

Could you please clarify point 3?

1. Would you walk from Santa Cilia de Jaca to San Juan de la Pena? From what I have been researching that is a very difficult road (some say a technical climb?). I'd be happy to hear that I'm wrong about that.

2. Where would you take the bus from? Santa Cruz de los Seros? in which direction? I'm a bit confused here.

At the moment I'm thinking of staying two nights in Jaca, and using one of the days to go to the monastery by taking a bus (if one goes to the monastery itself?) or taxi if necessary - Ideally we would like to go to both the monastery and Santa Cruz also.

I'm very interested in any advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
point 3:
My plan is to walk from Santa Cilia de Jaca - Binacua - Santa Cruzde la Serós - Monasterio Viejo deSan Juan de la Peña - Monasterio Nuevo deSan Juan de la Peña.
Then walking back to Monasterio Viejo deSan Juan de la Peña, Santa Cruzde la Serós (16,2 km walking until here). Then taking the bus from Santa Cruzde la Serós to Santa Cilia de Jaca.

If the way between Santa Cruzde la Serós and Monasterio Viejo deSan Juan de la Peña is too steep one could follow the road:
https://www.google.de/maps/@42.5221351,-0.6775767,13.25z/data=!5m1!1e4

But I haven't been there, I have no experience with this way.

The old royal monastery of San Juan de la Peña, cloister, and pantheon are truly extraordinary and very beautiful. Cut into the rocky hillside, the site is unforgettable.
I have not walked there, but the mountain road driving up is steep; be prepared!

It has been my professional privilege and personal pleasure to visit many special places, but San Juan de la Peña belongs in that unique category of sublime timeless perfection.

If there is the will, there must be a way. I'll have to get there one way or the other. Unfortunately, my visiting day turns out to be a Sunday so that may make public transport even more tricky, I suppose.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Getting to San Juan de la Peña may be complicated, but it is oh so worth it. I came to San Juan from the “back”, walking the Camino Catalán from Montserrat. That meant we walked up to the monastery from one side, and then had to take the path down to get to the Aragonés. The path down between the monastery and Santa Cruz does not require technical climbing skills, as some have asked, but it is very steep, rocky, and I would not try it if things are wet. The road is 8km but the path is only 4, so it is twice as steep as the road. I had bad knee pain for the rest of my camino that year, and I am virtually certain it came from that descent. IMO, it makes the walk down to El Acebo on the Francés look flat. But there is the road that cars use, of course. That is much longer but much less steep, but you will have to deal with cars.

The camino from Santa Cruz on to Santa Cilia is very nice, all off road as I remember. Very short and uncomplicated.

If I were walking the Aragonés starting at Somport and wanted to visit San Juan, I think there are several direct options. First would be just to take a rest day in Jaca and visit the monastery, either by bus or by taxi or by hitchhiking (hard to hitch there, but getting back to Jaca wouldn’t be too difficult if you speak Spanish and can ask people rather than standing on the road with your thumb out). Another would be to walk to Santa Cruz and stay there. As Annie says, the off road trail to Santa Cruz from the Camino has been in terrible shape, but there is always a chance someone will or has cleaned it up. I see a wikiloc.com trail from 2016, so maybe it is now walkable. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/jaca-san-juan-de-la-pena-santa-cruz-de-la-seros-12204916. That would be the least complicated of all, since it is only 14 km from Jaca to the monastery via that path. And then you could descend to spend the night in Santa Cruz or even go on to Santa Cilia. It has 700 m elevation gain, so you would have to factor that into your walking time as well.

But if you don’t want to take that path, you could walk along the road from the turnoff for cars up to Santa Cruz, stay in one of the nice looking places there, leave your pack and then walk up the 8 road km (or short camino km) to visit the monastery and then head back. The entire road route from Jaca to San Juan is 23 km, so that seems doable.

The backtracking option from Santa Cilia that martin1ws describes would require two nights in Santa Cilia if I am understanding it correctly, which makes it just as time-consuming as just walking Jaca to Santa Cruz. But I might not be understanding it.

Any way you slice it, it is a must-see place. At least the old monastery. The new monastery is now a hotel (which of course opens up another walking possibility, and I know vacajoe liked his snowed-in stay there). Great views from the lookout named “Mirador de los Pirineos” a little beyond the new monastery. But if time is a consideration, my opinion is that you can concentrate on the old monastery and forego the walk up to the new one.

Glad to see there are a few hearty souls intent on walking the Aragonés, one of the most beautiful. With the numbers so low, it needs all the help it can get!

The backtracking option from Santa Cilia that martin1ws describes would require two nights in Santa Cilia if I am understanding it correctly, which makes it just as time-consuming as just walking Jaca to Santa Cruz. But I might not be understanding it.
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/somport/jaca
I do not want to save time... the first day Somport to Jaca with 32km is maybe too long for me. So I probably want to stop earlier in Castiello de Jaca (24km).

Now Castiello de Jaca - San Juan de la Peña - Santa Cilia de Jaca is too long for the next day... so I want to go from Castiello de Jaca to Santa Cilia de Jaca without visiting San Juan de la Peña on the second day (24km).
3rd day: If I go from Santa Cilia de Jaca to San Juan de la Peña now (old monestary, maybe foregoing the new monestary and taking the bus from Santa Cruz de la Serós to Santa Cilia de Jaca on the way back) I can sleep in Santa Cilia de Jaca again or go on to e. g. Puente la Reina de Jaca.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you so much, peregrina2000!!! It was more or less as I had been able to piece together from reading as many posts as possible, but your list clears up much confusion for people with that same questIon. I usually don't prepare too much, but I don't want to be in a position we'll have to miss the monastery, nor do I intend to burden my already ailing feet and knees with extra stress so early on the path, if it can be avoided. Incidentally, what is your opinion about the significance of visiting Santa Cruz also? My husband would like to include it, while I'm divided. I'll post an update late August to let you know how it al worked out!

Thank you so much, peregrina2000!!! It was more or less as I had been able to piece together from reading as many posts as possible, but your list clears up much confusion for people with that same questIon. I usually don't prepare too much, but I don't want to be in a position we'll have to miss the monastery, nor do I intend to burden my already ailing feet and knees with extra stress so early on the path, if it can be avoided. Incidentally, what is your opinion about the significance of visiting Santa Cruz also? My husband would like to include it, while I'm divided. I'll post an update late August to let you know how it al worked out!
Hi, LGLG,
Glad to see you’ve got the options sorted out. When you ask me about visiting Santa Cruz, I would say that it has two very nice romanesque churches, one bigger, one tiny, and a nice rural hotel or two with a cafe. And that’s about it. If you are taking a taxi, you could probably arrange for a half hour stop with the driver, but if you are walking, you will walk right through the little hamlet.

I think you will love the Aragonés, it is quiet and peaceful and has a lot of beauty. Buen camino, Laurie

SO MUCH LOVE FOR THE ARAGONES!!!! Glad to see folks focusing on walking it!!!

SJdlP is definitely worth the visit (even without snow). All the above comments are spot-on, so I won’t repeat them but let me add a few things:

- 8.5km from Santa Cruz to the “new” monastery via a nice road through the woods that isn’t steep, though it will have traffic especially on a weekend.

- “New” monastery is a very short walk past the old one, so if you make it to one, it’s worth seeing both. The new one has a decent museum with ruins set up with mannequins to show what life would have been like.

- Hotel was surprisingly reasonable (but prices will vary by season) and available via booking.com.

- At one time, the albergue in Santa Cilia allowed you to stay two nights IF you were visiting the monasteries, so consider that as an option (but contact them first)

- Food options in Santa Cruz and SJdlP definitely follow a Spanish schedule, NOT a pilgrim one, so plan accordingly and consider carrying your meal

Otherwise, GO! Walk the Aragones, take the side trip, and enjoy how peaceful that area is compared to the CF

B3579806-4636-4FD7-B97F-63C545F7FDCF.jpeg4FFC679C-E3FF-4824-9F57-2EC2B088B3CC.jpegA7E4D48D-F78E-4614-AE45-0EEE731D1B21.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd day: If I go from Santa Cilia de Jaca to San Juan de la Peña now (old monestary, maybe foregoing the new monestary and taking the bus from Santa Cruz de la Serós to Santa Cilia de Jaca on the way back) I can sleep in Santa Cilia de Jaca again or go on to e. g. Puente la Reina de Jaca.

I walked today from Santa Cilia to San Juan de la Peña and back again. It is only a little bit more than 10km oneway. It is not technically difficult, but sometimes it is steep and between Santa Cruz and San Juan there are many rocks on the way. And sometimes you should not fall to the wrong side of the way.

I like the scenery very much....
In the blog are some photos:
http://trend-wertpapier-club.de/wordpress/2018/07/16/3rd-day-san-juan-de-la-pena/

I walked today from Santa Cilia to San Juan de la Peña and back again. It is only a little bit more than 10km oneway. It is not technically difficult, but sometimes it is steep and between Santa Cruz and San Juan there are many rocks on the way. And sometimes you should not fall to the wrong side of the way.

I like the scenery very much....
In the blog are some photos:
http://trend-wertpapier-club.de/wordpress/2018/07/16/3rd-day-san-juan-de-la-pena/
Your blog is great. Thank you. Will be walking this route early in October.

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back