• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Olav Accommodations Crunch in June

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 (Francés), 2017 (Portugués), 2022(Sanabrés)

There is also this, which may be useful. We are thinking of walking it in reverse as a slightly longer way of completing the Lana, but not until May/June 2022.
I'd love to walk this Camino June 16 - June 19 this year--so that I arrive on a Sunday when the shrine of San Olav is open--but I am finding that for Days June 17 and 18 (Fri and Sat)--places are closed for a holiday---I assume this is part of an expanded Corpus Christi Day celebration? So not sure what to do other than walk earlier and arrive at Covarrubias on a day when the shrine is not open. Any suggestions on alternative places to stay that are not listed in the guide? Perhaps stay where there are openings in Covarrubias and use a taxi for pick up and delivery back to where I stopped walking the day prior? I really wanted to walk this in 2022--as in 2023 I plan to walk St Olav's Way from Selånger Sweden to Trondheim Norway when I turn 70!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This doesn't answer your question, but consider walking one day more to get to Santo Domingo de Silos. An amazing place. There's a good hotel, an albergue, and a bus back to Burgos from there. Plugging it into the search function will show many threads.

This doesn't answer your question, but consider walking one day more to get to Santo Domingo de Silos. An amazing place. There's a good hotel, an albergue, and a bus back to Burgos from there. Plugging it into the search function will show many threads.
Thank you. I may consider this if I end up changing dates. The Abbey looks amazing. Unfortunately I am on a tight timeline as I need to be in Monte do Gozo on June 21 to volunteer for 2 weeks. Still keeping fingers crossed my original plan can be made to work. So still would appreciate suggestions. I am surprised by the cost of some of the accommodations--must be due to the holiday. (Almost like looking for Cubs tickets on certain "black out days"!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What places are you referring to, @ChrisAP? Not sure how it will interfere with walking, but I think I’m missing something.
There are not a lot of places to stay in the middle section of the Camino San Olav. No Accomodation found for Day 2 in Cubillo del César, and Day 3 (I was going to walk 4 days) in Membrillas de Lara. And If I changed to walk 3 days instead---and walked further on Day 2, onto Membrillas de Lara--it is closed 17th and 18th. It appears that Corpus Christi celebration is huge and places in rural areas close to celebrate. So I guess I must instead walk earlier days in the week, and accept not seeing the inside of the San Olav Shrine--which is only open Saturdays and Sundays.....

Gotcha. Accommodation is very sparse, with one casa rural in Cubillo del César. And I think that if you go on a weekend, or worse a holiday weekend, you are going to have an issue.

There are a couple of options a little off route that might work.

VN stayed in “Pension Casa Julia in Villaespasa because the one in Mambrillas was full...only 15 € for the very nice room and they picked me up.” (quoting her thread on her San Olav).

Reb and I stayed in Hostal Moruga. We called, and they also came and picked us up. We had walked from Santo Domingo de Silos that day and made it over the ridge from Covarrubias and down to the highway (N-234).

If it were me, and it’s not, so it’s really none of my business, but I would be much more interested in making sure I got to visit the inside of the visigothic church in Quintanilla de las Viñas than the San Olav shrine. I understand that the 21st century post modern chapel has an aesthetic that I just don’t appreciate, no matter how hard I try.

Hoping it will work for you, @chris

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gotcha. Accommodation is very sparse, with one casa rural in Cubillo del César. And I think that if you go on a weekend, or worse a holiday weekend, you are going to have an issue.

There are a couple of options a little off route that might work.

VN stayed in “Pension Casa Julia in Villaespasa because the one in Mambrillas was full...only 15 € for the very nice room and they picked me up.” (quoting her thread on her San Olav).

Reb and I stayed in Hostal Moruga. We called, and they also came and picked us up. We had walked from Santo Domingo de Silos that day and made it over the ridge from Covarrubias and down to the highway (N-234).

If it were me, and it’s not, so it’s really none of my business, but I would be much more interested in making sure I got to visit the inside of the visigothic church in Quintanilla de las Viñas than the San Olav shrine. I understand that the 21st century post modern chapel has an aesthetic that I just don’t appreciate, no matter how hard I try.

Hoping it will work for you, @chris
Thanks, Peregrina2000! I appreciate your suggestions!

In addition to Casa Rural El Rincon del Alfoz in Mambrillas and the place I stayed in Villaespasa (which now looks like only a restaurant?), Google Map shows 3 places to stay in Hortuguela, farther down the N224 from Mambrillas. You can get to Covarrubias from there easily enough by accessing the trails acoss the hill to Covarrubias, just a but farther along. It might also be worth trying Air B&B.

In addition to Casa Rural El Rincon del Alfoz in Mambrillas and the place I stayed in Villaespasa (which now looks like only a restaurant?), Google Map shows 3 places to stay in Hortuguela, farther down the N224 from Mambrillas. You can get to Covarrubias from there easily enough by accessing the trails acoss the hill to Covarrubias, just a but farther along. It might also be worth trying Air B&B.
Thanks VNwalking! Casa Rural El Rincon del Aldoz is closed. But I’ll check out Hortuguela. I may end up using a taxi to go to and from my ending and starting places if there is much more distance involved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don’t know if you saw the planning thread for the Lana, but there is a lot of discussion about ways to walk that stretch. From Quintanilla de las Viñas you could even walk to the albergue on the Lana in Mecerreyes, which would certainly have availability.

We also spent some time discussing how we could include a visit to the (predominantly Romanesque and Gothic) monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza, a now re-opened (after 5 years of renovation, stabilization, etc), which is only 7.5 km from Covarrubias, less from the ermita.

See the Lana Planning thread (around post 223 et seq)

Also, VN started a separate thread about a walk from Santo Domingo to Covarrubias via San Pedro, which I had hoped to walk in May 2020 and am still hoping to walk someday!

For those whose interest is in Princess Kristina and San Olav, these sites are likely to be a distraction, but if you are more interested in ancient architecture, there is a lot to see in this neck of the woods.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back