• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Pedro de Rates!!!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I really need to get back and see the Church in San Pedro again, I am planning to walk the coastal route in October and Rates is not that far off the Coast! Looking like yet another walkabout.
San Pedro de Braga is a very interesting figure sharing many likenesses with Saint James himself. I have lifted the following text unashamedly from the all knowing Wiki Guru do give it a read:
Saint Peter of Rates (Portuguese: São Pedro de Rates), also known in English as Saint Peter of Braga, is traditionally considered to be the first bishop of Braga between the years 45 and 60. Tradition says he has been ordered to preach the Christian faith by Saint James the Great, and that Peter of Rates was martyred while attempting to make converts to the Christian faith in northern Portugal. The ancient Breviary of Braga (Breviarium Bracarense) and the Breviary of Evora hold that St. Peter of Rates was a disciple of St. James and preached at Braga. However, the Bollandists argue that this claim is “purely traditional.

Life

The legend holds that Saint James, one of the apostles of Christ, visited the northwest of the Iberian Peninsula in 44 AD. One of his alleged visits occurred at Serra de Rates, in the current municipality of PĂłvoa de Varzim. During his visit, the apostle is said to have ordained the local Peter of Rates as the first bishop of Braga. This is probably a myth, given that it is proven that Saint James was celebrating Easter in Jerusalem precisely in this year.
It is believed that Saint Peter of Rates was beheaded while converting believers of the Roman religion to the Christian faith.
The discovery of Peter's body by Saint Felix

Centuries later, around the 9th century, the discovery of Peter's body was attributed to Saint Felix the Hermit, a fisherman of Villa Mendo, an ancient Roman villa that existed until the early years of the Kingdom of Portugal, and rediscovered in the 20th century under the sand dunes of Rio Alto in Estela, also in PĂłvoa de Varzim.
Felix had left home and settled in the biggest hill of the area, which is today known as SĂŁo FĂ©lix Hill. Regularly, Saint FĂ©lix observed a light in the darkness of the night from the hill. One day, curious about the light's origins, Felix came upon the body of Saint Peter of Rates. On that spot, the Romanesque Monastery of Rates was built, and the relics kept there until 1552; in that year the body was transferred to Braga Cathedral, where it is still kept. Scientific studies suggest that the body kept in Braga is from a 9th-century child

Miraculous fountains of Saint Peter of Rates
In the civil parishes of Balasar and Rates in PĂłvoa de Varzim, there are two fountains that the population believes are miraculous because they were used by this saint. In the 18th century, there are descriptions that Saint Peter of Rates was beheaded while drinking the waters of the fountain in Balasar. The population believes that two indentations on the fountain are impressions from the saint's knees. At the fountain of Rates, a stone is believed to cure in cases of sterility. Due to that belief, on 26 April every year, the feast day of Saint Peter of Rates, the pregnant women and female animals do not work in some villages.
For information on the wonderful Romanesque church see here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monastery_of_Rates

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I recall correctly from my 2015 Camino from Porto, the coastal route intersects with the several alternative, inland Camino Portuguese routes at Rates.

I hope this helps.

Vila do Conde and Povoa de Varzim both have links to SPR and there is a way marked path to Esponede back from SPR it starts just before the village and is near the church..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back