Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

San Salvador in July/August

Discussion in 'Camino del Salvador' started by Antonius Vaessen, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Antonius Vaessen

Antonius Vaessen Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2015-2016 Via de la Plata - Camino Sanabres
    2016. Camino Primitivo
    I'm considering walking the Salvador in July or August. Could someone who walked this Camino in this period give me some information about:
    How many people will be walking, are there enough beds in albergues or casa rurals.
    Is it very hot or is the temperature more moderate due to the altitude.
    Thanks in advance

HighlandsHiker and Bad Pilgrim like this.
  2. Tazz

Tazz New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances + Finisterre (2016/5)
    Camino San Salvador and Primitivo (2017/5)
    I am also walking the San Salvador (in May) and am interested in the answers to your question.

HighlandsHiker and Bad Pilgrim like this.
  3. Bad Pilgrim

Bad Pilgrim Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    09 CFrancés, CFisterra 10 VPodiensis 11 CNorte 12 VPlata 13 VPlata, CSanabrés 14 CLevante, CSanabrés 15 CSureste, CInvierno, CMuxia 16 CMadrid, CSalvador, CPrimitivo (17 RLana, CInterior)
    Hi,

How many people will be walking, are there enough beds in albergues or casa rurals.

There were actually a lot of people gathering in the albergues at the end of each stage. Although I rarely walked with anyone else during the day. During the last two stages though I even saw people along the way. A lot of them were youngsters who had deviated from the Camino Francés for an alternative adventure (I came from the Camino de Madrid). I never had a problem finding a bed though. A few had to abandon because of injuries or fatigue, given the rather difficult terrain, at least compared with the Francés. I did it in 4 stages which was stupid: 5-6 stages would have been perfect!

Is it very hot or is the temperature more moderate due to the altitude.

I walked in July last year. Weather conditions were perfect. Sunny but no excessive heat. In rain, fog or other difficult weather this should be a hard camino. The Camino passes through some remote areas so take precautions.

/BP

HighlandsHiker and trecile like this.
  4. Tazz

Tazz New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks for the information.
    Hopefully there will a fair number of people in May.
    JT

5. Bad Pilgrim

Bad Pilgrim Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    09 CFrancés, CFisterra 10 VPodiensis 11 CNorte 12 VPlata 13 VPlata, CSanabrés 14 CLevante, CSanabrés 15 CSureste, CInvierno, CMuxia 16 CMadrid, CSalvador, CPrimitivo (17 RLana, CInterior)
    Early May or late May? I wonder if there would be any risk of snow in the higher regions. But I have no experience of this so let's wait for another pilgrim's answer. I know there are a lot of pilgims on this forum with experience of the Salvador in Springtime. They should soon discover this thread!

/BP

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Tazz likes this.
  6. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

I have walked the Salvador, but only in summer or fall, so I never had any issues with the snow.One thing I can suggest is to go to the Camino Del Salvador Facebook page and post a question when you're getting ready to set out. Ended runs the page and he is always quick to respond with current info. Snow in May is not unheard of.

As far as pilgrim traffic goes, I don't think you will find too many people on the Salvador in May. Even in June, there were very few of us. I know it gets busy in July and August though. Whenever you go, you're in for a wonderful journey!

Tazz and Bad Pilgrim like this.
  7. Tazz

Tazz New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    I am walking mid May.
    I don't mind walking alone but prefer not to be the only person in the hostel at night.
    That being said it is only 4-5 nights.
    Regarding snow, I have good hiking boots and poles and expect snow will only be on the ground in patches, if at all. Also I have been walking on 3 feet of snow all Winter in Ontario. Sadly.

JT

Bad Pilgrim likes this.
  8. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    The snow has already melted.

9. Anemone del Camino

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    The snow has already melted. It's been an early spring in the area this year. Many already out there walking the Salvador.

Tazz and Bad Pilgrim like this.
  10. Paul J W

Paul J W New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2002/3 and 2004/5)
    Camino Ingles. (2008)
    Camino Portuguese. (2009)
    Camino del Norte (2008 and 2014)
    Ruta de la Plata (2004)
    Camino Primitivo. (2015)
    Camino Mozarabe (2007)
    "Tunnel" route (2016)
    Camino del Salvador (projected: 2017)
    Likewise, I have planned to walk the Camino San Salvador in the first half of May and would welcome any further observations re this route. As a guy in his 70s I do tend to take my time and trust that the accommodation en route will accommodate my likely schedule, yes?

11. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

Hi, Paul JW,
    Welcome to the forum! You will be able to get a LOT of info about the Salvador here, since there is a very vocal group of starstruck pilgrims who love this route. First thing I'd ask if whether you have seen Ender's guide to the Salvador. It is absolutely all you need to know. You can consult it on your phone or print it out. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61VvtkuNOwEMXpaM280YWtTTXM/view?pref=2&pli=1

Not sure how many kms you want to walk but there are easy ways to break these 120 kms up into small pieces.

The stretch between Buiza and Pajares is absolutely indescribable and un-beatable in terms of the scenery, the space, and the majesty you will feel. Not too get too new-agey here, but if these kms don't fill you with wonder for the magic of life and the wonder of the universe, nothing will. Sorry but I am not very good at posting pics and I see one is huge but I can't fix it!

If you are not on an albergue budget, I'd highly recommend the casa rural in Poladura. Very comfortable, very nice hostesses.

And for an albergue experience like no other, don't miss Benduenos. It is about 1.5 km uphill from the small hamlet of Herias, detour is very well marked, and it is a 5 ***** place in a beautiful setting.

I could go on and on, but let us know if you have specific questions, buen camino, Laurie

fromBuiza2.jpg FromBuiza5.jpg FromBuiza6.jpg

12. Paul J W

Paul J W New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2002/3 and 2004/5)
    Camino Ingles. (2008)
    Camino Portuguese. (2009)
    Camino del Norte (2008 and 2014)
    Ruta de la Plata (2004)
    Camino Primitivo. (2015)
    Camino Mozarabe (2007)
    "Tunnel" route (2016)
    Camino del Salvador (projected: 2017)
    Many thanks for this, Laurie; very detailed, informative and helpful.
    It looks amazing!
    Very much looking forward to setting out.

13. Anemone del Camino

Camino(s) past & future:
    Laurie,

These pictures are cruel and unusual punishment to the injured pilgrim I am and had to abandon her plans for the Salvador. Now you have me thinking I may want to hop on a plane for just 10 days this fall and head back out to Leon, with a healed knee.

peregrina2000 likes this.