A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

San Sebastian to SJPdP?

Richard Ray

Not What He Once Was
Camino(s) past & future
September-October (2016), May-June (2019)
I'm planning a May 2019 pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago. I'll be flying into Barcelona, taking a cheap flight to San Sebastian and then making my way to SJPdP. My thinking is to transit from San Sebastian airport to Hendaye, train from Hendaye to Bayonne, stay overnight in Bayonne, and then catch the early train to SJPdP.

I can't quite figure out how to transit from San Sebastian airport to Hendaye. I can take a taxi, but if I wanted to take the Euskotren what station would I use that's close to the San Sebastian airport? Any advice? Thanks.

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
I'm planning a May 2019 pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago. I'll be flying into Barcelona, taking a cheap flight to San Sebastian and then making my way to SJPdP. My thinking is to transit from San Sebastian airport to Hendaye, train from Hendaye to Bayonne, stay overnight in Bayonne, and then catch the early train to SJPdP.

I can't quite figure out how to transit from San Sebastian airport to Hendaye. I can take a taxi, but if I wanted to take the Euskotren what station would I use that's close to the San Sebastian airport? Any advice? Thanks.
Check the website www.Rome2rio.com

There is a bus to Bayonne and from there the train to SJPdP.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
It's an easy half-hour train ride, with a change to French trains at the border crossing at Hendaye a short walk across the station there - something about rail gauge I believe. Do stay a bit in San Sebastian, a beautiful little port town with the absolutely best pinchos/tapas in Spain!

Monasp

I'm a manager of pilgrims office in SJPP
Camino(s) past & future
Camino in 2008.

The San Sebastian airport is at Fuentarabia close to Irun and hendaye. To go from airport to hendaye train station you have go by taxi only.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
The naming of the airport is misleading - it is actually just outside Irun, right on the Spanish/French border and only 3km from Hendaye. The closest Euskotren station is at the southern end of the international bridge and you might as well spend 5 minutes just walking across it!

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - Burgos, Camino Frances (2012 - 2018)
It's a 5-minute taxi ride from the airport to Hendaye station - no public transport, as Monasp says.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), CP(13), CN(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18), VdlP(19)

Richard Ray:

I recommend you start in San Sebastian. I took a bus to San Sebastian from Pamplona and just started walking from the bus station.

Ultreya,
Joe

Helen1

Camino(s) past & future
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
Unless you really want to go to SJPD I'd go with jpflavin1's advice and start walking from San Sebastian and join the CF at Santo Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos. Definitely less traveled routes and a lot of road walking but going through the tunnel is kind of cool.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.5%
  • May

Votes: 204 24.0%