• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Sebastian to SJPdP?

Richard Ray

Not What He Once Was
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning a May 2019 pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago. I'll be flying into Barcelona, taking a cheap flight to San Sebastian and then making my way to SJPdP. My thinking is to transit from San Sebastian airport to Hendaye, train from Hendaye to Bayonne, stay overnight in Bayonne, and then catch the early train to SJPdP.

I can't quite figure out how to transit from San Sebastian airport to Hendaye. I can take a taxi, but if I wanted to take the Euskotren what station would I use that's close to the San Sebastian airport? Any advice? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm planning a May 2019 pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago. I'll be flying into Barcelona, taking a cheap flight to San Sebastian and then making my way to SJPdP. My thinking is to transit from San Sebastian airport to Hendaye, train from Hendaye to Bayonne, stay overnight in Bayonne, and then catch the early train to SJPdP.

I can't quite figure out how to transit from San Sebastian airport to Hendaye. I can take a taxi, but if I wanted to take the Euskotren what station would I use that's close to the San Sebastian airport? Any advice? Thanks.
Check the website www.Rome2rio.com

There is a bus to Bayonne and from there the train to SJPdP.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

It's an easy half-hour train ride, with a change to French trains at the border crossing at Hendaye a short walk across the station there - something about rail gauge I believe. Do stay a bit in San Sebastian, a beautiful little port town with the absolutely best pinchos/tapas in Spain!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

The San Sebastian airport is at Fuentarabia close to Irun and hendaye. To go from airport to hendaye train station you have go by taxi only.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

The naming of the airport is misleading - it is actually just outside Irun, right on the Spanish/French border and only 3km from Hendaye. The closest Euskotren station is at the southern end of the international bridge and you might as well spend 5 minutes just walking across it!

It's a 5-minute taxi ride from the airport to Hendaye station - no public transport, as Monasp says.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Richard Ray:

I recommend you start in San Sebastian. I took a bus to San Sebastian from Pamplona and just started walking from the bus station.

Ultreya,
Joe

Unless you really want to go to SJPD I'd go with jpflavin1's advice and start walking from San Sebastian and join the CF at Santo Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos. Definitely less traveled routes and a lot of road walking but going through the tunnel is kind of cool.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back