• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Sebastián University Hospital

ELHS220

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: FRANCÉS-2023
I arrived in Spain on Tuesday (5/7) expecting to start the Norte today. But yesterday, while having a look around Irún, I sat down on a bench. As soon as I sat down, I got this sharp searing pain in my knee. I do have arthritis and have had similar episodes periodically, but they’ve always self resolved within a few minutes. This did not resolve! I remained on my bed all day, trained it to San Sebastián this AM and taxied to Urgencias at University Hospital. As it was very early (8:15), there was no wait. They immediately diagnosed fluid, which I had suspected, and aspirated 30ml of the yellowish liquid, bandaged me up, and told me to use a cold pack several times a day, and keep it as elevated as possible for at least 48 hours. It still hurts today, especially if I try to bend and unbend it. Anyone know if I should even TRY to flex. I didn’t think to ask. They seemed to think I could start my Camino as soon after that as I wanted as long as I felt comfortable and had no increase in swelling. Anyone with any experience as to how long the pain continues after this aspiration procedure?

On a final note, there was NO CHARGE, as they told me the hospital is part of the National Health System. I was floored because I had paid €75 each to two clinics in La Rioja a few years back.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I arrived in Spain on Tuesday (5/7) expecting to start the Norte today. But yesterday, while having a look around Irún, I sat down on a bench. As soon as I sat down, I got this sharp searing pain in my knee. I do have arthritis and have had similar episodes periodically, but they’ve always self resolved within a few minutes. This did not resolve! I remained on my bed all day, trained it to San Sebastián this AM and taxied to Urgencias at University Hospital. As it was very early (8:15), there was no wait. They immediately diagnosed fluid, which I had suspected, and aspirated 30ml of the yellowish liquid, bandaged me up, and told me to use a cold pack several times a day, and keep it as elevated as possible for at least 48 hours. It still hurts today, especially if I try to bend and unbend it. Anyone know if I should even TRY to flex. I didn’t think to ask. They seemed to think I could start my Camino as soon after that as I wanted as long as I felt comfortable and had no increase in swelling. Anyone with any experience as to how long the pain continues after this aspiration procedure?

On a final note, there was NO CHARGE, as they told me the hospital is part of the National Health System. I was floored because I had paid €75 each to two clinics in La Rioja a few years back.
so sorry for your trouble. I hope it will turn out that you can indeed walk. I have no informed opinion on what you should do, just sending sympathy and good wishes.

so sorry for your trouble. I hope it will turn out that you can indeed walk. I have no informed opinion on what you should do, just sending sympathy and good wishes.
Thanks. I am going to be a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office from July 1 to 15. So I have sufficient time. I really want to do the whole route, but if I have to skip parts I will.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Are you an EU citizen, is that why there were no charges? A week or so ago I had to take a friend (US Citizen) to Centro de Salud in Navarret, he had to pay €101 for doctors visit.

I have to update my above commentary. I just received a bill by e-mail for yesterday’s emergency room visit. It is for €171. I have travel insurance, so I will be reimbursed minus a $50 deductible. Very sorry for the misinformation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have to update my above commentary. I just received a bill by e-mail for yesterday’s emergency room visit. It is for €171. I have travel insurance, so I will be reimbursed minus a $50 deductible. Very sorry for the misinformation.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.