• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Sebastian - Which Albergue?

BrookeChook

Time of past OR future Camino
Have completed all of Camino Frances 2013
I'm wondering which is the best albergue to stay at in San Sebastian that is closest to the Camino Del Norte Path? Is there a map for where this albergue is? Thanks Brooke

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Albergue La Sirena, just past the iconic playa de la concha beach, is 50 meters from the Camino.

http://www.donostia.eus/info/visita...as&id=B341274&cat=Albergues Municipales&doc=D

You can get a credencial there if you don't have one already. They provide you with clean linens. There is breakfast (yogourt, bread, cereal, coffee). Very clean.

To get there, walk all along the beach de la Concha until it ends. There is a large round about. There you walk up a large avenue, take a small streat to the right, another to the left. If you google la sirena albergue san sebastian you will see a map of it. There are also a number of city buses that go by it. It's a 10 minute walk to the old town.

Second vote for "A Room In The City" !
Stay there last May, Good central location, 2 minutes from beach!

What Jill and GS said.
It is exceptional.
Regards and buen Camino,
Gerard

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Albergue is completely through San Sebastián. It is a long walk back to the beautiful town. If I was to do it again I would find a room in a pension in the heart of town. You are very tired when you get there especially if it's been raining. It is such a long walk into and back from town.

The Albergue is completely through San Sebastián.
Not at the moment. They are renovating the albergue. The temporary albergue is at the beginning of town.

I see all this enthusiasm for places like A Room in the City coming from posters who I know are not youngsters. ;) So maybe I need to reconsider. Years ago, after some bad nights in youth hostels in some camino cities, I made the decision that I was just too old and went to bed too early and was too light of a sleeper to enjoy being in a room with a group of young partiers, some of whom were coming in as I was getting up. So I made my move over to pensiones.

So, for those of you who are in my age bracket or in the vicinity (qualifying for senior discounts all over the place) and who like staying in these non-pilgrim places, can you tell me your secret?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, for those of you who are in my age bracket or in the vicinity (qualifying for senior discounts all over the place) and who like staying in these non-pilgrim places, can you tell me your secret?

Ha, ha! Reminds me of the Youth Hostel in Moscavide, my very first night out of Lisbon, on my very first camino. I had just got myself tucked up in bed, at 10pm, in a 6-bed female dorm, when the other 5 walked in. These youngsters, lovely young Portuguese girls, with fluent English (of course!), apologised for disturbing me, said they had just arrived in Lisbon, were going out for supper (at 10pm!), and promised to be really quiet when they came back in. The amazing thing is, when I next woke up, they had all been and gone . . . and I was on my own again . . . and that was before I discovered eye-pads and ear-plugs.

A Room In The City really is a great place to stay. Four of us were meeting up there, so we pre-booked beds in a 6-bed dorm. The bunks have curtains, own lights and power sockets.
Embrace the new age!
Jill

A Room In The City really is a great place to stay. Four of us were meeting up there, so we pre-booked beds in a 6-bed dorm. The bunks have curtains, own lights and power sockets.
Embrace the new age!
Jill

Hi Laurie @peregrina2000
I agree with Jill .
You know I'm in 'that' age group.
October 2016 I took myself to San Sebastián for rest/recovery when my feet needed treatment. Stayed 3 nights in quite expensive apartment but not available for 4 nights. Then saw signs about for 'room in the city' and stayed the one night there. No regrets. 6 bunk room with the others 'bunkees' being very young (none were on camino )but all very friendly and so quiet. Very very secure and safe. Lockable drawer beneath bunks for each sleeper. Swipe to all rooms ., including gate access. 24 hr front desk.
There was lovely courtyard for outdoor use -
Your little cubicle could be as private as you wish. Just pull the curtain. Had wifi., power etc to each cubicle. I can't remember the price but good value and right in the heart of the city.
They seemed to have heaps of places too.

Hi Laurie @peregrina2000
I agree with Jill .
You know I'm in 'that' age group.
October 2016 I took myself to San Sebastián for rest/recovery when my feet needed treatment. Stayed 3 nights in quite expensive apartment but not available for 4 nights. Then saw signs about for 'room in the city' and stayed the one night there. No regrets. 6 bunk room with the others 'bunkees' being very young (none were on camino )but all very friendly and so quiet. Very very secure and safe. Lockable drawer beneath bunks for each sleeper. Swipe to all rooms ., including gate access. 24 hr front desk.
There was lovely courtyard for outdoor use -
Your little cubicle could be as private as you wish. Just pull the curtain. Had wifi., power etc to each cubicle. I can't remember the price but good value and right in the heart of the city.
They seemed to have heaps of places too.

I was convinced. But then I looked at their website and see that a bed in July in a 6 bed room costs 42 euros. That's substantially more than my little family run pensión -- granted, I was there in June, but that seems pricey.

How are you Annie? Nozzie yet? :p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But then I looked at their website and see that a bed in July in a 6 bed room costs 42 euros.

Hmm, that's too bad. We paid 18 euros each in October last year, which also included free tea, coffee and biscuits in the morning. Incidentally, thinking of another thread currently ongoing, there are signs up in strategic places, in A Room In The City, forbidding alcohol, which, perhaps, is why it is such a nice, relaxed, quiet place.
Jill

I was convinced. But then I looked at their website and see that a bed in July in a 6 bed room costs 42 euros. That's substantially more than my little family run pensión -- granted, I was there in June, but that seems pricey.

How are you Annie? Nozzie yet? :p
Another good reason to walk in the shoulder or off-seasons. My bunk at A Room in the City in a 6-bunk room at the end of May was only 20E.

Mine in January E16.50

If you email any hostel after you register you can request a bottom bunk, if you are on team 'Senior Discounts' you get preferred placement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking at staying there towards the end of September and the cheapest bed is €35!

Pricing on the 'Rm City' website is confusing. It appears the pricing offered is for their hotel rooms.
I came across the place as I wandered around town with my pack. I paid E20 for a pod in a 4 pod room. I was offered pricing starting from E12 in a 16 person room.
Whatever, I really enjoy the company of younger folk, so I always request lower bunk accommodation in a small room. Sometimes available, sometimes not. The next option then is pensions or hostals.
Altho I find I must sometimes even utilise 4 & 5 star hotels, I find this worse than sleeping under a hedge. Is there a more boring place to spend a night than in a hotel?
Regards
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back