• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Toribio and Covadonga

Celi Anatrella

Time of past OR future Camino
2018, 2019, 2021 and planning… God willing.
Any recommendations of stages for a person who does not read maps well and rather follows some well marked arrows to include both San Toribio and Covadonga as part of my Camino del Norte? I only have 30 days to walk. I would like to start in Irun and I don’t mind busing myself a bit to avoid asphalt. I would like to include San Toribio and Covadonga as detours from the Camino del Norte or walk from one to the other if the route is marked now.

Thank you kindly!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Any recommendations of stages for a person who does not read maps well and rather follows some well marked arrows to include both San Toribio and Covadonga as part of my Camino del Norte? I only have 30 days to walk. I would like to start in Irun and I don’t mind busing myself a bit to avoid asphalt. I would like to include San Toribio and Covadonga as detours from the Camino del Norte or walk from one to the other if the route is marked now.

Thank you kindly!
Can only answer about San Toribio. On the day you leave San Vicente de la Barquera you will find a cut off to the left to take the Camino Lebaniego. It is well marked with the red Tau. It is several stages walking to San Toribio. Look at the sub- forum for that particular Camino. Haven't done it myself though have visited San Toribio as a tourist. The surroundings are beautiful.

If you don’t want to constantly check maps and are walking less well marked trails it might be worth taking out a subscription to Wikiloc - it’s pretty cheap- then you should be able to find maps for the trails which you can use offline. When you go off trail (or miss an arrow) it will alert you by making a noise. Saved me a couple of times on the Primitivo when I went into ‘the just wandering ‘ zone and it meant I wasn’t stopping to check as frequentl as I have in the past.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thank you kindly!
I am in Unquera, across the bridge from Asturias. 95% of the Norte is asphalt or some sort of pavement, so far anyway.

Thank you kindly!
I walked Toribio in '07 so can't give you current advice. I will just say that I learned about it from the hospitalio in San Vincete. He gave me a small piece of paper with a hand drawn map in pencil. I made it just fine, and the walk was a high light. You'll be fine too.

I just finished walking the 3 days from San Vicente to Santo Toribio. Gronze.com has gps tracks for this route which I found really useful. The website also has information on distances between towns and available services/accommodation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As said above, Sto Toribio is about 4 days walk out if san Vicente de la barquera. It's a beautiful route, called Camino Lebaniego. It's marked with red arrows. We did it in 2019 with no maps, but we knew in advance which cities we would pass by, as there were not manh options of places to stop and eat.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back