• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Zoilo Closure?!

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
New notification
From 10-06-2020, and until further notice, Hotel San Zoilo will close due to the COVI-19 crisis
See you soon!

Don't like the looks of this! I indulged in the Hotel Real Monasterio San Zoilo, Carrion de los Condes, in 2019. Not ashamed to say that I loved every inch, every minute, of it.

1601428095997.png

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How very sad. I have stayed at this beautiful gracious hotel twice.
I will never forget it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A couple of friends of mine stayed there last week, so...it must be open;)
Few customers (they were alone having dinner)

Just checked their FB page. They seem to be open. Or at least advertising for the Jornadas Cluniacenses that are happening there this weekend.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A couple of friends of mine stayed there last week, so...it must be open;)
You can still book a night for 5 October 2020 on their website and then again from April 2021 onwards but not for dates in between. (I checked a few dates).

Another note on their website says: We inform our customers that the Cafeteria and Restaurant will remain closed for Erte until further notice.

ERTE refers to Spanish legislation about furlough and how much employees and also some independent workers are paid and who finances it. Spain has just announced a new Covid-19 related ERTE program, or prolongation of their current program, for hotels etc from October until the 31st of January 2021. My guess is that the hotel San Zoilo in Carrion de los Condes is making use of this, given that their low season is presumably starting now. It is a hotel, after all, and no longer a monastery. And even many monasteries are managed according to economic principles ... today and in the past.

Last edited:
A quote from a news article from the end of May 2020 when there was talk about hotels opening again in June for their summer season after having been closed since March 2020:

The Royal Monastery of San Zoilo is not yet planning to open its doors and rooms to guests [at the beginning of June 2020]. Located in the province of Palencia, namely in Carrión de los Condes, it lives off tourism, celebration events and the Camino de Santiago. "We will not open on 1 or 2 June, and we'll see if we do on 3 June. We have two months, July and August, where we depend on national tourism, in particular guests from Madrid. And we don't know yet if they will be allowed to leave Madrid. We also depended on foreign pilgrims, and this year the Camino de Santiago is nil, it is dead. We don't count on them at all," says José Antonio Perrino, manager of San Zoilo.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just checked their FB page. They seem to be open. Or at least advertising for the Jornadas Cluniaceses that are happening there this weekend.
I thought at first that this is a gourmet weekend with a medieval touch. I now see that it's a conference about our Cluniac heritage 🙂. I very vaguely remember having seen signs for a Cluny Cultural Road in the area of San Zoilo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.