• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sanabrés-Invierno overlap

blvdve

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Sanabrés from Ourense, September 2019
Hello, all. My daughter and I will be walking the last 100+ km of the Camino Sanabrés in September. For personal and medical reasons, we will be keeping our stages reasonably short, and staying in hostals/casas rural. One of our stops is at Estacion Lalin, where we intended to veer slightly off-path and stay overnight in Lalin. My question: if we walk directly from Lalin to Silleda, we're not walking the Sanabrés any more, but the Invierno, so is this going to be a problem as far as the Compostela goes? Having, hopefully, the two stamps a day, but with a bit of a different Camino in the middle? Or is it wiser to taxi back to Estacion Lalin to pick up the Sanabrés? Grateful for any input! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Estación de Lalín is about 4-5 km from the town of Lalín. So you would have to walk to Lalín and then go to silleda from there. It may be the case that you would intersect with the Invierno before you got to Lalín, but I don’t think so. If I’m doing the math righy, from Lalín Station to Lalín to Silleda would be about 15 km so that seems to fit the bill for you.

Where are you staying the night before Lalín Station?

As far as the Compostela goes, I can’t think of any reason why the deviation would be a problem.

As I understand it you must, if walking, walk a minimum of 100kM and obtain at least 2 stamps per day to qualify for a compostela. What route you take is up too you as long as the distance is at least 100kM and you end up in Santiago. No doubt one of the more learned in the rules, such as @t2andreo will be along soon to confirm or contradict me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Im not sure if I understand your question properly, but hope this helps -

One of our stops is at Estacion Lalin, where we intended to veer slightly off-path and stay overnight in Lalin.
There is a hotel at Estacion Lalin - Hostal A Taberna de Vento so it's possible to overnight there without diverting into the town of Lalin itself. (Having said that, the albergue at Lalin central is a super albergue with one of the nicest owners I've met, so you won't regret going there if you choose to).
I think Gronze indicates €35 for shared room - Call to confirm.
If that price is correct, I think it's more expensive than staying at an albergue, but worth considering.

if we walk directly from Lalin to Silleda, we're not walking the Sanabrés any more, but the Invierno, so is this going to be a problem as far as the Compostela goes?
I walked from somewhere between Estacion and Donsion to central Lalin because it was getting dark and I was confused. Next day I walked from central Lalin to A Laxe to rejoin the Sanabrés. It's fine. I claimed my Compostela without feeling guilty. Since I walked two sides of a triangle, I calculate that I walked about 5km more than I would have if I'd continued on the direct route.

Having, hopefully, the two stamps a day, but with a bit of a different Camino in the middle? Or is it wiser to taxi back to Estacion Lalin to pick up the Sanabrés? Grateful for any input! :)
The only reason to go back to Estacion that I can think of is that the walk is a bit nicer than going through the industrial estate after Lalin.

The Estación de Lalín is about 4-5 km from the town of Lalín. So you would have to walk to Lalín and then go to silleda from there. It may be the case that you would intersect with the Invierno before you got to Lalín, but I don’t think so. If I’m doing the math righy, from Lalín Station to Lalín to Silleda would be about 15 km so that seems to fit the bill for you.

Where are you staying the night before Lalín Station?

As far as the Compostela goes, I can’t think of any reason why the deviation would be a problem.
Thank you! (and thank you, too, for all your wonderful, useful information on this forum!) Yes, it's a bit of an extra walk, but the Hostal also has a pick-up service, so we'll see how it goes. We'll be walking from O Castro Dozon, but sleeping at Cea the night before (transfer service, worked best for us).

As I understand it you must, if walking, walk a minimum of 100kM and obtain at least 2 stamps per day to qualify for a compostela. What route you take is up too you as long as the distance is at least 100kM and you end up in Santiago. No doubt one of the more learned in the rules, such as @t2andreo will be along soon to confirm or contradict me.
I kind of thought so - have read of people changing Caminos before - but wanted to be sure. Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Im not sure if I understand your question properly, but hope this helps -

View attachment 60535

There is a hotel at Estacion Lalin - Hostal A Taberna de Vento so it's possible to overnight there without diverting into the town of Lalin itself. (Having said that, the albergue at Lalin central is a super albergue with one of the nicest owners I've met, so you won't regret going there if you choose to).
I think Gronze indicates €35 for shared room - Call to confirm.
If that price is correct, I think it's more expensive than staying at an albergue, but worth considering.

I walked from somewhere between Estacion and Donsion to central Lalin because it was getting dark and I was confused. Next day I walked from central Lalin to A Laxe to rejoin the Sanabrés. It's fine. I claimed my Compostela without feeling guilty. Since I walked two sides of a triangle, I calculate that I walked about 5km more than I would have if I'd continued on the direct route.

The only reason to go back to Estacion that I can think of is that the walk is a bit nicer than going through the industrial estate after Lalin.
That map is super, thank you...I'm not great at navigating Gronze, will explore more. And I'll check out that Albergue, though we do have an accommodation tentatively planned. There was suddenly availability at A Taberno de Vento, which is why I started overthinking things. :) Staying in Estacion would be handy to the route, but not great for stocking up on fruit and snacks for the weekend. and then I read an Invierno thread about walking out of Lalin, and figured combining Caminos for a few km's might be best. But if the walk is nicer? I guess I have more overthinking to do. ☺

There was suddenly availability at A Taberno de Vento, which is why I started overthinking things.
If you have a reservation at A Taberno de Vento, then you're all set - Accommodation directly on the Camino Sanabrés. No need to take a diversion into Lalin.

Staying in Estacion would be handy to the route, but not great for stocking up on fruit and snacks for the weekend.
When you check in at the Taberna, tell them that you would like them to prepare food for you to take away next day. At the very least, they should be able to wrap some tortilla, or a bocadillo in foil for you. If you have specific dietary requirements, then you might want to email them your rider in advance.

But if the walk is nicer? I guess I have more overthinking to do.

After my Camino, I went back to Lalin to walk the bit of the Sanabrés that I missed. So you don't need to take my word for it - I can provide photographic evidence. As you can see, the walk from central Lalin is less rural. If you prefer rural, then I don't think you need to think about this any more - Stay at Estacion. Don't divert to central Lalin. Stay on the Sanabres and enjoy!

1. Leaving central Lalin on a crisp, sunny, morning (30/Nov)

IMG_4676.JPGIMG_4679.JPGIMG_4705.JPGIMG_4714.JPGIMG_4726.JPG

2. Walking from Estacion on a wet December morning (9/Dec)

IMG_6936.JPGIMG_6942.JPGIMG_6965.JPGIMG_6955.JPG

Hello, all. My daughter and I will be walking the last 100+ km of the Camino Sanabrés in September. For personal and medical reasons, we will be keeping our stages reasonably short, and staying in hostals/casas rural. One of our stops is at Estacion Lalin, where we intended to veer slightly off-path and stay overnight in Lalin. My question: if we walk directly from Lalin to Silleda, we're not walking the Sanabrés any more, but the Invierno, so is this going to be a problem as far as the Compostela goes? Having, hopefully, the two stamps a day, but with a bit of a different Camino in the middle? Or is it wiser to taxi back to Estacion Lalin to pick up the Sanabrés? Grateful for any input! :)
As already suggested if the hostal in Estacion Lalin doesn't break your budget then there's no need to go to Lalin (apart from few good restaurants, the river walk, promenade, ATMs etc.) and just stay on Sanabres.

Last year I came to Estacion Lalin on Sanabres but diverted to Lalin because I wanted to check the new markings on the way out of Lalin (on Invierno). That was the only reason. Anyway if you will go to Lalin it's only that short stretch to A Laxe municipal albergue where you reconnect with Sanabres. I doubt very much anyone in Pilgrim Office would even notice that ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you have a reservation at A Taberno de Vento, then you're all set - Accommodation directly on the Camino Sanabrés. No need to take a diversion into Lalin.

When you check in at the Taberna, tell them that you would like them to prepare food for you to take away next day. At the very least, they should be able to wrap some tortilla, or a bocadillo in foil for you. If you have specific dietary requirements, then you might want to email them your rider in advance.

After my Camino, I went back to Lalin to walk the bit of the Sanabrés that I missed. So you don't need to take my word for it - I can provide photographic evidence. As you can see, the walk from central Lalin is less rural. If you prefer rural, then I don't think you need to think about this any more - Stay at Estacion. Don't divert to central Lalin. Stay on the Sanabres and enjoy!

1. Leaving central Lalin on a crisp, sunny, morning (30/Nov)

View attachment 60574View attachment 60575View attachment 60577View attachment 60578View attachment 60580

2. Walking from Estacion on a wet December morning (9/Dec)

View attachment 60584View attachment 60585View attachment 60588View attachment 60590

Those photos (as they say, worth a thousand words)! Thank you! We will definitely try to just follow the Sanabrés, though it might mean a "commute" to/from Lalin, as that is where we have our booking. We do prefer rural, especially my daughter, who thrives on the beauty of British Columbia, and that path looks lovely.

As already suggested if the hostal in Estacion Lalin doesn't break your budget then there's no need to go to Lalin (apart from few good restaurants, the river walk, promenade, ATMs etc.) and just stay on Sanabres.

Last year I came to Estacion Lalin on Sanabres but diverted to Lalin because I wanted to check the new markings on the way out of Lalin (on Invierno). That was the only reason. Anyway if you will go to Lalin it's only that short stretch to A Laxe municipal albergue where you reconnect with Sanabres. I doubt very much anyone in Pilgrim Office would even notice that ;)

Thanks for weighing in. :) The hostal in Estacion is just a wee bit dearer than the one we booked in Lalin, but the "few good restaurants, the river walk, promenade, ATMs" could be handy, as could the shops and the kitchen at the hostal, as daughter is vegetarian and it might be nice to have a kitchen for one night. We'll see. I am ever-so-grateful for everyone's input!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes. As long as you can fake the location data on your phone and bluff your way though the lie detector test, you'll get past their usual checks. They don't often do the forensic analysis of residues in your boot treads.

:D:D I'll keep this in mind, and save all my receipts just in case!

I was a little confused by the last messages, so I re-read the thread and I think I understand your plans now:
1. You're going to walk as far as Estacion de Lalin.
2. In Estacion, you'll be picked up by car (provided by a hostal in Lalin)
3. The next morning you'll either get a taxi back to Estacion or you'll walk from Lalin.
Is that right?
If that's the plan, then my preference would be to take a taxi back to Estacion in the morning. I have two reasons - First, the walk is nicer. Second, I prefer to walk a contiguous Camino. Even if it's interrupted with a year's break in the middle, I like to be able to imagine a joined up line on the map from start to finish.

Just my opinion, but if you're planning to spend a night in Lalin and cook your own vegetarian dinner, the albergue is hard to beat. It has a clean, well equipped kitchen. It's located over a covered shopping arcade with a very friendly green grocer's shop a few meters from its front door.. A couple of the taxi firms in Lalin have posted their phone number on signs on that stretch of Camino - so you don't need to rely on the hostal for transportation.

Attachments

• IMG_4668.JPG
    IMG_4668.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, just checking back in to thank everyone for their much-appreciated input. My daughter and I had a wonderful walk from Ourense to Santiago, and we were grateful for your insights concerning Lalin/Estacion Lalin. We ended up just going with our booking at Hostal Caracas, and it was fine, and the hospita was beyond fine, picking us up at Estacion, getting us settled, even offering to take us into town (we walked!), and driving us back to the Camino at Estacion in the early morning. (The rooms were standard and comfortable, but she was a delight, spoke no English, but made herself understood - as did we, with minimal Spanish, hopefully - with a lot of "vale! vale!" punctuating her conversation.)
Very thankful, @Raggy , for your deciding photos of the route. Our Estacion Lalin>Silleda day was our only non-stop rainy one, but the scenery was marvellous. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back