• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sanabres - Cea - A Laxe Oct 2021 accommodation

Tezza

Time of past OR future Camino
Sanabres 2021
Hi there everyone.

I have been trying to plan my very first Camino, the Sanabres route, for October (coming from UK). I won't have time to do the whole Camino but will try to start somewhere before Ourense.
I think my absolute maximum walk per day would be 25k, so I can't do Cea to A Laxe, which is about 37k. I was planning on stopping at Castro Dozon but the Albergue there is closed (from Gronze) and I can't find any other accommodation options at all along the way. I don't want to abandon the whole thing because of this - does anyone have any ideas? I thought about a bus, but can't find any information. (Also that would mean I wouldn't be walking the last 100ks). I don't think I want to sleep outside on my first Camino, on my own!
Any ideas or thoughts gratefully received.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there everyone.

I have been trying to plan my very first Camino, the Sanabres route, for October (coming from UK). I won't have time to do the whole Camino but will try to start somewhere before Ourense.
I think my absolute maximum walk per day would be 25k, so I can't do Cea to A Laxe, which is about 37k. I was planning on stopping at Castro Dozon but the Albergue there is closed (from Gronze) and I can't find any other accommodation options at all along the way. I don't want to abandon the whole thing because of this - does anyone have any ideas? I thought about a bus, but can't find any information. (Also that would mean I wouldn't be walking the last 100ks). I don't think I want to sleep outside on my first Camino, on my own!
Have you looked at the Castro Donzon map on Google to see if any places ie. bar, shop might know of a room? Do also check earlier threads/posts covering this area.

Good luck and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Hi, i might be able to help you. I walked from Oseira through Castro Doxón and didn't go as far as A Laxe... I stayed in a restaurant / pension at Botos. In struggling to find the details on Gronze though. There were in fact 2 places to stay - the other actually is on Gronze Hostal A Taberna de Vento. The place i stayed is across the road. Both very slightly off the Camino but easy to find.
The numbers i have saved in my phone are
+34986780562
+34 675 89 74 70
I think the 2nd one is mobile and i contacted them via WhatsApp.

I must say - while the accommodation was old and basic it was absolutely spotless and i was given a fantastic welcome - the women there really took care of me. My clothes were washed and dried for me and i could hardly move after the lunch!

Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have you looked at the Castro Donzon map on Google to see if any places ie. bar, shop might know of a room? Do also check earlier threads/posts covering this area.

Good luck and Buen camino.
HI Mspath, thank you. Yes, I've trawled through, but of course the Covid situation means only really up to date information tends to be relevant. I have done some looking for alternatives that would be manageable but not found anything and I don't have much Spanish so that makes it a bit tricky.

On a separate note, i found planning that particular stretch was a bit funny - you go through lots of very small villages or town lands (concellos) that looked like nothing on google maps. On the ground there was more accommodation around that i expected and also the route is very well marked.... So it's easier than it might appear. If course that was all pre covid so....

Hi SioCamino, and thanks. I can only find Botos on Google maps, it doesn't seem to be on or close to the route to A Laxe? I will check out further though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the place. I have the numbers saved as Camino Botos O Ponte? So i think the bar is called O Ponte... I found the details on an older thread here on the forum but then also saw little notices for accommodation for them along the way.

On a separate note, i found planning that particular stretch was a bit funny - you go through lots of very small villages or town lands (concellos) that looked like nothing on google maps. On the ground there was more accommodation around that i expected and also the route is very well marked.... So it's easier than it might appear. If course that was all pre covid so....
Thanks, that's useful. But, yes, it's very uncertain with the Covid situation.

Hi SioCamino, and thanks. I can only find Botos on Google maps, it doesn't seem to be on or close to the route to A Laxe? I will check out further though.
Totally understand what you mean and before i walked there i was fretting about how i would find it and would it be off the route. But its really really close to the Camino. From my memory, the path emerges from a forest /wooded area and you have to cross a main road. You can see the other Taberna from that point, it's about a 100-200 meters of the Camino. There's not much else around there just those 2 bars. I think there is a poligono (industrial estate?) a few kms away so their bread & butter business is feeding workers at lunchtime.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
HI Mspath, thank you. Yes, I've trawled through, but of course the Covid situation means only really up to date information tends to be relevant. I have done some looking for alternatives that would be manageable but not found anything and I don't have much Spanish so that makes it a bit tricky.
Tezza,
Of course it IS tricky now. The map shows a taxi service which perhaps could drive you elsewhere and a catholic church, Igrexa de San Salvador de Dozón.

You could write a brief request for help, translate it via Google into Spanish, then send it via email.

PS.
All data in # 8 above is visible on Google maps but appears to be a further 2h+ walk from Dozon.

Last edited:
Totally understand what you mean and before i walked there i was fretting about how i would find it and would it be off the route. But its really really close to the Camino. From my memory, the path emerges from a forest /wooded area and you have to cross a main road. You can see the other Taberna from that point, it's about a 100-200 meters of the Camino. There's not much else around there just those 2 bars. I think there is a poligono (industrial estate?) a few kms away so their bread & butter business is feeding workers at lunchtime.
Thanks. But the only Botos I can find is, like, 30ks away!? Will do more searching.

Tezza,
Of course it IS tricky now. The map shows a taxi service which perhaps could drive you elsewhere and a catholic church, Igrexa de San Salvador de Dozón.

You could write a brief request for help, translate it via Google into Spanish, then send it via email.
Good idea!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This place may, or may not be of use to you. If nothing else they offer a taxi service should you become stuck. I picked this card up in May 2019 so hopefully they are still operating. Apologies if this does not help. Enjoy your Camino, I’m very jealous!! BC 😎

Attachments

• DC46C031-2E2E-4C64-96D5-15EA924BDD1C.jpeg
    DC46C031-2E2E-4C64-96D5-15EA924BDD1C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 85A709E7-2085-43A2-B4B6-F7F1A24E5D70.jpeg
    85A709E7-2085-43A2-B4B6-F7F1A24E5D70.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
Thanks. But the only Botos I can find is, like, 30ks away!? Will do more searching.
Have a look on Gronze. The A Taberna De Vento is listed as "a pie del camino" and the O Ponte restaurant is across the road. I wouldn't go by Google maps for very rural areas like this. As i said i was a bit confused (because of what Google maps was telling me) but on the ground it was much more straightforward. Seriously speaking from my experience of Google maps in Ireland, i wouldn't totally trust the data for rural areas and townlands.

I think the 37km is based on going via Oseira. The other route shortens the walk by c5km. There are normally options a few km after Cea and at Estacion de Lalin before A Laxe, which would bring the day within your maximum. You would need to walk slightly further on the stage from Ourense.

I don't thi nk you would be missing too much by skipping Cea.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the plac
I took two screen shots on google street view and it looks like your memory is spot on. O Ponte basically across the street from Taverna do Vento.

@Tezza, do you use WhatsApp? It is by far the best way to contact lots of accommodations in Spain, uses wifi. See post number 3 above, and if I were you, I would contact O Ponte on WhatsApp via this phone number that @SioCamino listed.

+34 675 89 74 70

Even if they don’t speak English they can understand the basic request for a room with a date. If you need help, I (and many others here) can help you. Buen camino, Laurie

33D00F2F-FE17-44FB-9B73-548B0782E5D6.png19713524-7960-4EC6-809F-FC637976803F.png

Hi there everyone.

I walked 25km from Montserrat to Igualada (Camino Catalan) on 28/08/21 and the Auberge there was closed. I then walked a further 9 km to Jorba and the Aaberge there was closed too. At this stage, I used the remaining 5% of my phone battery power to find accommodation on Booking.com (I also have Airbnb as a backup). The nearest accommodation was 9KM further on and I had to walk it, with blisters, heat exposure, and thirst. Penance as they say! The downside to this approach is that you never know how much the accommodation will cost. You can be lucky with value accommodation but occasionally you will need to shell out for 'luxury' if/when that is your only option. The upside, of course, is the adventure. If, however, you are stuck outside for the night, try a church bench or even get inside the church. There are so many of them on the camino.

Keep trying to make it work out. The route is with it.
I don't know if this will help, but I hope there is something useful in my blog from 2016:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think the 37km is based on going via Oseira. The other route shortens the walk by c5km. There are normally options a few km after Cea and at Estacion de Lalin before A Laxe, which would bring the day within your maximum. You would need to walk slightly further on the stage from Ourense.

I don't thi nk you would be missing too much by skipping Cea.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Thanks so much Laurie. Sorry, I'm a bit confused about where (which town/village) these hotels are in?

Thanks so much Laurie. Sorry, I'm a bit confused about where (which town/village) these hotels are in?
I think @SioCamino’s first hand report is the best one to go on.

Gronze.com lists its address as being in Estación de Lalín. 12.5 km beyond Castro Dozón. And about 6 km before A Laxe. So it would still be a rather long day, 31 km from Cea. But much more doable.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As others have said:
Hostal A Taberna de Vento 25/35e
Estacion de Botos, 38 Estación de Lalín Teléfono: +34 629 306 679
I stayed here in June 2021. Great food here as well. WiFi everywhere. Very clean room and hospitable pleasant owners. They washed, dried and folded clothes for € 5. A win place. Reserved through Booking since I couldn’t find an email for them and they weren’t on WhatsApp. Another option is to walk to Lalín where there are multiple places to stay including the albergue run by Emiliano in the center. Buen Camino 🚶🏻‍♂️
Aymarah

As others have said:
Hostal A Taberna de Vento 25/35e
Estacion de Botos, 38 Estación de Lalín Teléfono: +34 629 306 679
I stayed here in June 2021. Great food here as well. WiFi everywhere. Very clean room and hospitable pleasant owners. They washed, dried and folded clothes for € 5. A win place. Reserved through Booking since I couldn’t find an email for them and they weren’t on WhatsApp. Another option is to walk to Lalín where there are multiple places to stay including the albergue run by Emiliano in the center. Buen Camino 🚶🏻‍♂️
Aymarah
Thank you for the great information, so useful! And for everyone who has given me the benefit of their experience and knowledge here. I'm starting to feel it's more doable now...

Sorry to be late to the party. I can definitely confirm the Hostal A Taberna de Vento. We stayed there in 10/2019. You can read my story here, and it is 27 km from Cea on the standard route to Estación de Lalín. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, for photos and check my maps to confirm the location. The proprietor was amazing! I am not sure if he speaks English, as I was able to communicate with him in my elementary Spanish. My story is intriguing because my friend who was walking with us since Salamanca arrived with a serious flat tire (severe leg injury) and was unable to walk the next day, nor finish the final stages to SdC. The proprietor helped me get a taxi for her to take her to Santiago and helped me find the clinic there. He was so kind and helpful. But don't expect fast service here, as he is the only one running the show, at least when we were there, and getting dinner took forever! But it was good! I would highly recommend this place! The hotel is down the road, just before the restaurant and is clean and comfortable.

If you have 32 km in you, I would definitely advise the route through Oseira, and the Monastery there. Click here to see my journey and photos. Walking on the old Roman road is a bit rough, but fantastic! Unfortunately the albergue there is closed for renovation.

Regardless, have a wonderful Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry to be late to the party. I can definitely confirm the Hostal A Taberna de Vento. We stayed there in 10/2019. You can read my story here, and it is 27 km from Cea on the standard route to Estación de Lalín. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, for photos and check my maps to confirm the location. The proprietor was amazing! I am not sure if he speaks English, as I was able to communicate with him in my elementary Spanish. My story is intriguing because my friend who was walking with us since Salamanca arrived with a serious flat tire (severe leg injury) and was unable to walk the next day, nor finish the final stages to SdC. The proprietor helped me get a taxi for her to take her to Santiago and helped me find the clinic there. He was so kind and helpful. But don't expect fast service here, as he is the only one running the show, at least when we were there, and getting dinner took forever! But it was good! I would highly recommend this place! The hotel is down the road, just before the restaurant and is clean and comfortable.

If you have 32 km in you, I would definitely advise the route through Oseira, and the Monastery there. Click here to see my journey and photos. Walking on the old Roman road is a bit rough, but fantastic! Unfortunately the albergue there is closed for renovation.

Regardless, have a wonderful Camino!
Thank you so much for all the information!

W
Hi there everyone.

I walked Via de la Plata in 2019, after Cea we walked 27kms and stayed at Estacion de Lalin not sure if is open now but worth a try. It was 35 euros for 2 people.

I have walked twice pre Covid and both times stayed at the Albergue in Castro Dozen. Too far for me to walk further. I remember pilgrims either taking a taxi or a bus from the café nearest the Albergue

I have walked twice pre Covid and both times stayed at the Albergue in Castro Dozen. Too far for me to walk further. I remember pilgrims either taking a taxi or a bus from the café nearest the Albergue
Thanks Camino07. That's another option I can look into.

The albergue at Castro Dozon is marked on gronze as closed. I have been looking at this route over the last few days as the last section of my walk from Valencia on the Levante, VdlP, Sanabres, which I am starting next week. It is 27 k from Cea to Estacion de Lalin, if you take the shorter route, and not the route through Oseiras. You can ask for help in finding the start of the route from someone at your accommodation in Cea. I was not aware of the existence of a second choice of accommodation in Estacion de Lalin, and have been planning to stay at A Taberna de Vento, which offers seven rooms (see gronze). There is no mention on gronze of O Ponte as possible accommodation, so it may not be accepting overnight guests this year. But I shall put the phone number on my phone, or maybe just look in there if I arrive in Estacion Lalin after my 27 k and find no accommodation in Taberna de Vento. By the way, I suspect that your confusion about a place name of Botos may be because that is the street name of the location of A Taberna de Vento.
I am currently wondering, considering what I have read on the above thread and elsewhere, if O Ponte is the name of the restaurant associated with A Taberna do Vento, and not a separate place providing accommodation. Gerald Kelly can provide a track for the direct route from Cea to Estacion de Lalin, and I have downloaded it to my phone to help me find the way. I understand that the route by way of Oseiras is now considered to be the main route, although not by gronze. The more direct route is apparently not so well marked and is not on some maps where the track through Oseiras has been downloaded. I walked the Oseiras route on my previous time through, as I stayed in the monastic albergue. I believe it is closed at present, and that is a longer route, if you are short of time. At present, I am in a similar stage of planning to yourself, and am finding it anything but simple. Good luck and Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The albergue at Castro Dozon is marked on gronze as closed. I have been looking at this route over the last few days as the last section of my walk from Valencia on the Levante, VdlP, Sanabres, which I am starting next week. It is 27 k from Cea to Estacion de Lalin, if you take the shorter route, and not the route through Oseiras. You can ask for help in finding the start of the route from someone at your accommodation in Cea. I was not aware of the existence of a second choice of accommodation in Estacion de Lalin, and have been planning to stay at A Taberna de Vento, which offers seven rooms (see gronze). There is no mention on gronze of O Ponte as possible accommodation, so it may not be accepting overnight guests this year. But I shall put the phone number on my phone, or maybe just look in there if I arrive in Estacion Lalin after my 27 k and find no accommodation in Taberna de Vento. By the way, I suspect that your confusion about a place name of Botos may be because that is the street name of the location of A Taberna de Vento.
I am currently wondering, considering what I have read on the above thread and elsewhere, if O Ponte is the name of the restaurant associated with A Taberna do Vento, and not a separate place providing accommodation. Gerald Kelly can provide a track for the direct route from Cea to Estacion de Lalin, and I have downloaded it to my phone to help me find the way. I understand that the route by way of Oseiras is now considered to be the main route, although not by gronze. The more direct route is apparently not so well marked and is not on some maps where the track through Oseiras has been downloaded. I walked the Oseiras route on my previous time through, as I stayed in the monastic albergue. I believe it is closed at present, and that is a longer route, if you are short of time. At present, I am in a similar stage of planning to yourself, and am finding it anything but simple. Good luck and Buen camino.
Hi @Albertagirl,
I can confirm that O Ponte & the taberna are definitely 2 different establishments though very near to each other. When i stayed in Sept 2019, it was not listed on gronze. I got the details from this forum. I believe the owner (?) is a pilgrim (or was at some stage) and i certainly was welcomed with open arms! Though she did express surprise at how i had heard of the place...[it was also very cheap though i can't remember exactly, i think something like €15 for ensuite room solo plus laundry and I'm guessing the lunch cost €10.....and seriously they fed me like a long lost daughter who needed fattening up 😂😂]
As it happens i have walked both routes from Cea via Oseira in May and then straight to Castro Dozon in Sept (long story!). I loved my overnight stay at Oseira but if no albergue at CD then you would have a very long day the next day. I don't recall the route from Cea to CD directly being any harder to follow than that via Oseira. (usual pre covid caveats apply!!!)

How this helps and buen camino.... I love loved loved this route.

Hi @Albertagirl,
I can confirm that O Ponte & the taberna are definitely 2 different establishments though very near to each other. When i stayed in Sept 2019, it was not listed on gronze. I got the details from this forum. I believe the owner (?) is a pilgrim (or was at some stage) and i certainly was welcomed with open arms! Though she did express surprise at how i had heard of the place...
As it happens i have walked both routes from Cea via Oseira in May and then straight to Castro Dozon in Sept (long story!). I loved my overnight stay at Oseira but if no albergue at CD then you would have a very long day the next day. I don't recall the route from Cea to CD directly being any harder to follow than that via Oseira. (usual pre covid caveats apply!!!)

How this helps and buen camino.... I love loved loved this route.
Thank you. I shall add a separate entry for O Ponte with the phone numbers. I may not book ahead, but I love to have options. Thanks to a friend, I am learning how to use WhatsApp. I have been so accustomed to showing up without a booking that it may be a challenge for me to change my ways. I am so glad that this thread came up today, as I was planning to stay at Estacion de Lalin, but had not looked into accommodation.

Hi Albertagirl. Thanks for your thoughts and information. It really seems like there will be a lot of uncertainty if I choose to try this Camino - a bit anxious-making as it's my first! Still much to consider. Good luck with your planning and Buen camino to you too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you. I shall add a separate entry for O Ponte with the phone numbers. I may not book ahead, but I love to have options. Thanks to a friend, I am learning how to use WhatsApp. I have been so accustomed to showing up without a booking that it may be a challenge for me to change my ways. I am so glad that this thread came up today, as I was planning to stay at Estacion de Lalin, but had not looked into accommodation.
I find WhatsApp super useful in Spain. The trick is to add the number to your contacts on the phone and then open WhatsApp - if they also have WhatsApp they will appear as a WhatsApp contact. For me the benefit is that i can contact people free using it via WiFi or data (thanks to free EU roaming) whereas phoning or texting would cost me extra.
I can speak Spanish but the other benefit of messaging is you can compose in English and use a translator to send a message. And then use the translator to translate the reply!

I find WhatsApp super useful in Spain. The trick is to add the number to your contacts on the phone and then open WhatsApp - if they also have WhatsApp they will appear as a WhatsApp contact. For me the benefit is that i can contact people free using it via WiFi or data (thanks to free EU roaming) whereas phoning or texting would cost me extra.
I can speak Spanish but the other benefit of messaging is you can compose in English and use a translator to send a message. And then use the translator to translate the reply!
I like using the chat function. I put everything about possible accommodation in my contacts on the phone. I have composed, in my basic Spanish, a simple request from a pilgrim for accommodation, the date to be added before I send it. I had put this in the Notes on my iphone, to help me remember. Then my friend who is helping me with WhatsApp told me how to transfer this message to the chat and just fill in the blank date. I am fairly confident that I can read a reply. Nobody is going to want to write a long letter with one finger on a chat. I shall also be making some bookings on booking.com, just for the convenience. In general, their prices are high and going higher, so I avoid them when I can. I have walked the VdlP before, and parts of the Sanabres (from the Invierno, for example), so I am fairly comfortable with this last part of my camino this year.

I also can confirm the two accommodations in Estación de Lalín. Our compadre stayed at A Ponte and it is just across the street from the Taberna de Vento. However, it was cold and rainy that night in October and they hadn't yet turned on the heat. He told me that it was the first time he had used his sleeping bag under the covers while in bed in a hotel!

€60,-
Also, you are welcome to my GPS tracks to find their locations: Day Fourteen Camino Sanabrés, Cea to A Estación de Lalín
I already have a gps track for Cea to A Estacion de Lalin. And I am familiar with the area, to some extent, having walked the VdlP some years ago. However, having spent a few nights in unheated hotels, and since I am passing through Estacion de Lalin well into November, I shall consider the issue of heating before I decide where to spend the night. Thanks for your good advice.

€83,-
That's great, and should be very useful to you. But keep in mind that gronze says the albergue in Castro Dozon is closed, and I did not see any information as to when the above map was made, which shows the albergue. There is a telephone number provided, if you click on the map icon, which is the same as that provided by gronze. So you might call ahead, if you are considering staying in Castro Dozon. I must go on to Estacion de Lalin, as I am short of time and can best fit that 27 k walk into my schedule.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.