Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Sanabres in the spring

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2019)
Hello...flying Toronto to Porto..bus to Chaves Portugal and hiking north to Verin next April. Verin to Ourensa along the Sanabres route...I imagine it will be very quiet that time of year. Anyone who has done this route and has suggestions or comments...I am all ears! Thanks kindly.

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
My only comment would be...take warm clothes. In 2016 i was on the vdlp and by september i was around mombuey. Me and the swedish couple i was with all bought gloves and i wore my t shirt,shirt,fleece,scarf and rain jacket trying to get warm. Spring could well be like that too

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
That's an uncommon route. I would expect Chaves to Verin to Ourense to be very quiet at any time of year - even when the rest of the Sanabres is busy.

There is a chance that you might meet a couple of pilgrims who walked the Camino Zamorano Portugues. The last stage of that route (from Segirei to Verin) goes through the eastern edge of Chavez district. And you may find some pilgrims who start their journey in Verin. I've met some people who take the bus to a starting point at the edge of Galicia.

From Ourense you'll join the mainstream of pilgrims who start there. April should be quite popular, especially Holy Week (April 5-12. 2020). During Holy Week itself, you may find things quite busy from Ourense onwards.

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
Sounds about right.
FYI - In Allariz, I have read that the old monastery albergue is no longer in operation. I think the various online guides should have up to date info. on this and other albergue openings / closures.

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2019)
Thanks...yes I see there is no albergue in Allariz. Looks like a pretty little town so I will likely get a hotel for the night.

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2019)
Found a really fine thread on the route I will be taking...the details I was looking for...yahoo.

RodlaRob

Oz Member
Camino(s) past & future
Torres (2016) Portuguese (2016)
Hey Raithby ..... depending on your April dates, might see you along the way!
Am walking mid-March 2020 to 9th April 2020.... Walking camino combination :
...Camino Teresiano ... then into Salamanca
...Camino Torres (bus to Ciudad Rodrigo) then only to Lamego. Have walked Torres to Santiago before 2016.
... Bus to Porto to meet a friend
... then bus to Chaves to finish el Camino to Santiago!

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Listed in my signature
Hey Raithby ..... depending on your April dates, might see you along the way!
Am walking mid-March 2020 to 9th April 2020.... Walking camino combination :
...Camino Teresiano ... then into Salamanca
...Camino Torres (bus to Ciudad Rodrigo) then only to Lamego. Have walked Torres to Santiago before 2016.
... Bus to Porto to meet a friend
... then bus to Chaves to finish el Camino to Santiago!

Hey RodlaRob!

I'm also hoping to walk the Camino Teresiano, starting March 23rd, Avila > Salamanca. Have you looked into accommodation yet for this route?

I'm planning to follow Elle's stages (www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/day-one-camino-teresiano.html) and therefore stay in Fontiveros on Day 2. As there's no albergue there, the only choice is private accommodation and the two places I found online don't have any availability during my time, therefore I'm assuming they're closed for low season. I haven't yet called the other places as my Spanish is not fluent - have you looked into this at all?

Camino(s) past & future
Future
I walked this leg of the Sanabres about five years ago.
Sad to know that the monastery in Allariz run by the cloistered nuns is no longer operative.
Anyway, the town is a picturesque spot not to miss.

I stayed in Verin, nice town with an outstanding albergue.
Next day I had my break in Viladerei that seemed to have another nice albergue, but decided to push on to Sinzo that had no specific lodgin for pilgrims at that time.
I stayed overnight in a budget accommodation, and good value for money.

On the down side paths were quite neglected and overgrown, as it is not so trodden route, don’t know current conditions though.

Enjoy your southern branch of the Sanabres that joins the Portguese interior.

Last edited:

RodlaRob

Oz Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi Ali.....thanks for the update.
Only accommodation i have booked so far, is in Avila on the 19th March. Looks like i should research this a bit. I normally don't book in advance when walking & take what the camino offers...but maybe this time some preparation needed!😉

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Listed in my signature
Hi again RodlaRob,

I emailed several places and finally got a response from the ASOCIACION DE LA CUNA AL SEPULCRO regarding accommodation in Fontiveros (Day 2): "
You can book your accommodation for March 25 in a rural house in Fontiveros.
Send a message or call the telephone number 0034636037955.

Thanks for doing this Teresa route. Good way"

Hope this helps... Ali

RodlaRob

Oz Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi Ali
I'm working on Elle's notes as well. She mentions casa rural la fonte (probably the same one). Thanks for your update on Fontiveros.
I intend to find out as much about accommodation as i can in Avila before i leave, as i don't have a mobile sim card, only wifi where i can get it....and according to Elle, wifi is sparse indeed!

Planning on 4 days to Alba de Tormes.

RodlaRob

Oz Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ps.... for future notes, we should post under Camino Teresiano as all this has little to do with the Sanabres!

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Listed in my signature
You're right but unfortunately there isn't a Forum for that yet. I'll post under "Other Pilgrimage Routes"...

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock