• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sanabres over Laza or Verin?

Karin309

Time of past OR future Camino
2021 Camino Frances
2023 Via de la Plata
Hi fellow pilgrims, I am currently walking the VdlP, now in Salamanca. I will continue on Wednesday, and I chose to go to Santiago via the Sanabres.
Now that also has two options... One via Laza (3 days shorter but longer stages), one via Verin...
I can do more days/less days, long or shorter stages, that all doesn't really matter..What I would like to know is what is the difference, which one is more beautiful, which one would or have you done and why??
I would like to hear some of your experiences 🙏🙏🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked through Verín twice. Not for any reason other than that’s the route everyone was taking!

Alan Sykes has walked the Verín variant, which you can read about on this thread. Start at post 143.

While I was looking for Alan’s live reports, I came across Alansykes’ live camino from Zamora on the Zamorano-Portugues. Not what you asked about, but I wanted you to know there is yet another option! Not sure about whether the albergues are open in winter though.

Buen camino, @Karin309, loving your live posts!

Karin,
Let me begin by thanking you for the enjoyment provided by the daily updates of your adventures. Cherish your downtime in Seville with those who matter.

Personally, as I'll be walking the Seville to Salamanca segment of the VDLP for the first time starting in mid-April, your posts have been most helpful. Your writing and photography has me chomping at the bit. It seems we share a positive outlook on life in general.

I'll be staging the Salamanca to Santiago legs to follow new routes.

As for Verin vs other. I walked the Verin route more than a few years ago. Mainly due to roadworks workers creating a bed shortage. I remember some pavement, as well as some enjoyable countryside before and after Verin. I also remember a large, van supported, youth group. Loved their energy, and as they never impacted the ability to find a bed indoors, all was good. But I last walked this portion in June '17 so I'm confident you will not experience the same things.

I'm planning on trying to walk the "shorter" route this year, but that could always change based on fellow pilgrims I encounter. As you've experienced, there is comfort in keeping your Camino family together whenever the desire is shared.

There are different ways to "stage" days to avoid possible bed shortages and adjust daily distances so your tongue isn't dragging at the end of the day. Gerald Kelly and Wise Pilgrim Apps & guides are fantastic. Your only concern should be to do whatever works for you. Know that whatever you truly need....the Camino WILL provide.

Peace & Love.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Karin,
as I understand the former responders to your posting recommended the Verin variant.
I try to do the opposite. Well, it‘s about 5 years ago when I walked this stretch but I remember it was I hike through a fantastic landscape despite some disturbance by the at this time ongoing AVE works. These works are finished now so this wouldn‘t bother you. The longer stages you mentioned you can avoid by splitting up the stages: 1. A Gudina - Campobecerros; 2. Campobecerros - Albergueria. There you can overnight in a kind of legendary Albergue. It was closed in the last 2 or 3 years but I heard it reopened again. Then there‘s only a short walk left to Xuncheira de Ambia.

¡Ultreia!

I have walked through Verín twice. Not for any reason other than that’s the route everyone was taking!

Alan Sykes has walked the Verín variant, which you can read about on this thread. Start at post 143.

While I was looking for Alan’s live reports, I came across Alansykes’ live camino from Zamora on the Zamorano-Portugues. Not what you asked about, but I wanted you to know there is yet another option! Not sure about whether the albergues are open in winter though.

Buen camino, @Karin309, loving your live posts!
Alan's first thread above stops at post 100. Where can we find the continuation?

Thanks.

Alan's first thread above stops at post 100. Where can we find the continuation?

Thanks.

The website only displays 100 posts per page, so if a thread has more than that, it will have multiple pages. Click on the ”next” or “2” indicator either at the top of the thread or the very bottom of the thread. Both on the left hand side, at least that’s how it is on my ipad.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The website only displays 100 posts per page, so if a thread has more than that, it will have multiple pages. Click on the ”next” or “2” indicator either at the top of the thread or the very bottom of the thread. Both on the left hand side, at least that’s how it is on my ipad.
Thanks. I'll try it.

Out from A Guidina, I mistakenly took the route down the street by mistake and went to Verin, but it being a Sunday, found many things closed, and was not able to rest and resupply ..this was ´19.
Someone said to me, it was mainly a bicycle route and I went to my supply of extra food, beef Jerky and the odd fruit items, and arrived tired and very late in Verin...
There is a route going directly North from Verin that reconnects to Laza and that is what I did, a mere 15 to 18 km or so...

IMG_20211121_174935.jpg

I liked both the Verín and Laza versions of the Sanabrés from A Gudiña. Laza is slightly more spectacular, going over the high passes over the Vendas, and the Verín way has more albergues, facilities and is marginally less strenuous, and includes Allaríz, uno de los pueblos más bonitos de España. Verín has a spectacular border fortress,

DSC_1228.jpg

and the huge wetlands north of Xinzo de Limía are bird rich and unusual. Also the Roman and Celtiberian remains around Santa Mariña de Aguas Santas.

DSC_1249.jpg

And better restaurants on the Verín way.

Alberguería (on the Laza variant) has Luis' spectacular scallop shell albergue (everybody passing through has to sign a shell which is nailed to the ceiling) - although it was shut on 3 of the 4 times I walked past, so I've only got one shell up there.

IMG_20161130_112308.jpg

If it's wet, or snowy, the steep descent to Campobecerros on (very slippery) sharp slate, tricky in good conditions, is actively dangerous.
IMG_20161128_153241.jpg

On the whole I think I slightly prefer the Verín way, but it's a very very close call.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back