• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sanabres

scubajunky

HI All,
I'm considering the Camino VDLP during two weeks at Easter, I keep hearing comments about the Sanabres being a beautiful camino but am not sure if that is the VDLP or a section of it. Can someone please enlighten me !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
HI All,
I'm considering the Camino VDLP during two weeks at Easter, I keep hearing comments about the Sanbres being a beautiful camino but am not sure if that is the VDLP or a section of it. Can someone please enlighten me !!

Hi, scubajunky,

The Vdlp goes from Sevilla up to Zamora. Then about 40 km north of Zamora, in a town called Granja de Moreruela, the Vdlp continues north, through Benavente and Astorga, where it joins the Camino Francés. The Sanabrés takes a left and goes northwest, though beautiful country, some nice little towns like Puebla de Sanabria, through Ourense, and then into Santiago through Silleda, Ponte Ulla, and a few other places. You can see good descriptions of it on gronze, mundicamino, and the Eroski site.

In my experience (and I think I've been on the Sanabrés at least four times), the Sanabrés branch is much more popular than staying on the Vdlp till you get to Astorga. And rightly so, IMO. :)

Thanks for that, so how long does it take to get to Santiago following the Sanabres route, is there a forum here for that route ? heard there was but cannot find it. Would it be doable in April ? will there be some pilgrims in April ? Any info much appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As the Sanabres is really one branch of the Via de la Plata you will find most of the posts and resources in the VDLP section. This planner is a help in judging distances between towns and villages along the way so you can get an idea of stages.
http://www.godesalco.com/plan/plata
I walked the final 200km from A Gudina last month. An excellent walk and extremely quiet: I met two other pilgrims in the whole journey. Almost certainly busier in April but unless you run into Easter crowds I don't think it will be all that crowded.

Great, so no problems finding someone to talk to then ?
How does it compare to other Caminos ? Is it mountainous? similar to Primitivo ?
What has made you do it four times ? have you done other Caminos ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Need to make a desicion on this soon, it's either the Sanbres section or Le puy route in France. Any tips and advice much appreciated.

Hi Scubajunky.

I have only done the VDLP/Sanabres but it's lovely. If you're going around Easter, you should definitely have people to chat with as you walk, although it's by no means crowded. I like it for this reason. I have plenty of time to walk by myself, but when I'd like some company it's not that difficult to find some, although it may come at the end of the day in the town. There are some hilly sections, definitely, but nothing too strenuous. There are a few long sections where you have to walk 30-ish kilometers to get to the next town.

Buen Camino!
Melanie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Sanabres is like a less demanding mini Primitivo. I would do both again in a heartbeat - especially the Sanabres as we had rain for most of it!

I have done the Le Puy route twice. It is amazing and the best route that I have done. Will be, hopefully, walking the Sanabrese in May. So can't compare yet. The food and countryside appealed very much in France. It is about 760km so longer than the Sanabrese route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for that, I would be Walking over Easter. Is it much more expensive than the other Caminos ? Which routes are you comparing it too please ?

Thanks for that, I would be Walking over Easter. Is it much more expensive than the other Caminos ? Which routes are you comparing it too please ?
When you think of Le Puy think B&B. When you think of Spain think dorms or 1-2* pensiones. And let's not even het started about the food, unless you're on the Norte. So, for an nexpensive escapade, Spain is it.

I have walked both routes, and I think it just depends on what you are looking for. My experience on the absolutely beautiful LePuy route was that there were very few peregrinos. Most of the people we met were French people walking in groups of 4 or 6 for a two week walking holiday. I was lucky to meet a Dutch couple who were also peregrinos (even though we didn't make it to Santiago that year) because otherwise I would have been pretty alone. The groups were nice and very polite, but understandably, they were on vacation and were enjoing each others company.

In terms of scenery, both are gorgeous. But if you want to arrive in Santiago , obviously you have one choice. I am admittedly biased, but I would go with the Sanabres.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So where do I fly into Zavora ? and how long does it take to santiago from there ? I have walked into Santiago many times so am wanting to do the best 12 days either from the start or the end whichever is prettier.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

The Sanabres is beautiful, hilly, lovely Galician villages. There will be people in the albergues at night. The social atmosphere is typically camino-ish, with lots of different nationalities, some impromptu communal meals, etc. The LePuy route is also gorgeous - the first ten days from LePuy are stunning. There will also be lots of people. The albergues - called gîtes - have a different atmosphere. There are communal meals, but as Laurie said, most of your companions will be groups of french people walking in small groups on short vacations and they may or may not be interested in speaking with you - also french people can be very polite, which sometimes turns into a kind of reserve. I certainly met people, but I did miss the more communal sense that you get in even short interactions on Spanish caminos. The gîtes often have excellent food. And there are some wonderful opportunities to stay out in the countryside on farms, outside villages. You might be too early - but if you like roses - go to France. For me the roses were one of the highlights of the trip (I was there in May though). The roses are absolutely incredible. If you are worried about money or if you don't like booking your accommodation (it is polite to book one day in advance in france, particularly if you plan on taking dinner where you are going to stay) or if you are looking for a typical spanish camino social environment, go to Spain. Or you could just toss a coin or you could go to wherever your travel connections are easiest. You can't really go wrong - but they are different. Just tell yourself that the other option is for next year. That's what I did and it worked. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for that great Post, I'm going to go with the Sanbres, how many days is it to Santiago ? is the best bit the first 12 days or the last ? I don't have to walk into Santiago as I have done so three times before. Thanks again

Hi, scubajunky,

The Vdlp goes from Sevilla up to Zamora. Then about 40 km north of Zamora, in a town called Granja de Moreruela, the Vdlp continues north, through Benavente and Astorga, where it joins the Camino Francés. The Sanabrés takes a left and goes northwest, though beautiful country, some nice little towns like Puebla de Sanabria, through Ourense, and then into Santiago through Silleda, Ponte Ulla, and a few other places. You can see good descriptions of it on gronze, mundicamino, and the Eroski site.

In my experience (and I think I've been on the Sanabrés at least four times), the Sanabrés branch is much more popular than staying on the Vdlp till you get to Astorga. And rightly so, IMO. :)
And have a day off in Ourense and go to the baths or eat very well in town particularly the Padrone peppers....ahh. The Sanabres is well worth doing.

https://www.gronze.com/via-plata

This should help you decide. Sanabres is near the bottom of the page.
You could start in Zamora and see how far you get in 12 days - wherever you get to, you'll be able to get a bus to Santiago. Though I must say, this one was my fAvourite approach to Santiago so you might want to walk that last day!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Zamora is a delightful place to start - make sure you give the town the better part of a day to look around.
The walking itself is not spectacular - until you get to Granja de Moruela and hit the Sanabres proper. But I think Zamora is a much easier transport hub to get to (and well worth investigating - even if you take a bus from there to Granja)

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back