• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sand in Boots

Delphinoula

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C.Franconia 2019 C.Algeciras Sevillia 2019
Swabian C. (2020)
Hi walking the beaches any ida what to do about the fine sand in the boots?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You need some ' Sock Savers ' an Australian invention from the 1950's , they are
akin to short gaiters but made of cotton drill . Essentially a cotton ruff that sits over the top of your boot . Light ,comfortable , washable and easy to put on and take off . Essential for those parts of any Camino covered in fine stone chips and dust and of course sand :)

Sock Savers where to be found?
Thank you for your reply. Would cot open socks work?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One supplier but there are many versions sold all over the world . Try a military disposal or work wear shop they usually have them . Unless you are walking in slush you don't need the waxed cotton or waterproof sorts , they tend to over heat your feet.

I have tried cut open socks in the past as an emergency measure , they do work after a fashion but are nowhere as effective . You can make a pair yourself very easily with the cut off bottoms of some old jeans and some elastic tape sewn in by hand or as I have done once , trade some job or two with someone proficient in the use of a sewing machine . I can pull apart a Grandfather clock , repair it and put it back together almost blindfolded but I can't drive a Singer !

Clearly, you did not play outside, especially near a beach or in a sandbox when you were a tyke. When you walk in sand you get sand in your shoes. It is one of the basic laws of the universe IMHO. As such, it is right up there with, ... if you are wearing a swimsuit, you WILL attract sand to your nether regions.

Short term, you just suck it up and press on. But seriously...longer term, like as soon as convenient, remove your shoes and socks, expel all sand, dry your feet and boot up again. Repeat as needed.

Sand is abrasive and will cause hot spots and blisters.... not good!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Pam, for your great tips.
Andreo no sh.. t, hence my question. not funny but again thank you for the obvious. Guess you hiked in boots for miles through the sandy desert. And yes I have seen a beach before. Where I grew up as a tod we had two oceans.
Will do the socks until I find the sock savers thank you kindly Charles and Ali.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No problem Charles and Ali. I have used my cut off socks for loads of beach walking on the North Norfolk Coast. Pam

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.