• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandal size

BBO

Time of past OR future Camino
(2020)
Ok.. Next rookie question from me 🤓 Sandal size... I am testing a pair of Keen sandals to bring to the CF. They seem to fit well, in the size I would normally choose for shoes. My walking boots are obviously 1 size up from my normal, and so my question is:
Surely you dont go 1 size up for sandals, which even have flexible bands going across the top?? Thanks for your patience 😄

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok.. Next rookie question from me 🤓 Sandal size... I am testing a pair of Keen sandals to bring to the CF. They seem to fit well, in the size I would normally choose for shoes. My walking boots are obviously 1 size up from my normal, and so my question is:
Surely you dont go 1 size up for sandals, which even have flexible bands going across the top?? Thanks for your patience 😄
Are you talking about a closed toe Keen sandal that is actually very much shoe-like? I think that the important thing with this type of closed toe hybrid sandal/shoe is that your toes don't touch the end when you are going downhill. Since you are already bringing shoes how about some open toe sandals like Tevas, that will really let your feet breathe,

There is (or should be) no "rule" about sizing up from "normal." Just make sure your shoes or sandals are roomy enough to accommodate some swelling and changes of socks. Sizing up gives you shoes that are longer as well as wider, but swelling typically does not lengthen your foot. Besides, some of us normally wear shoes that are as loose as we can manage. For others, it can be a point of vanity to have small feet and we might choose the smallest size that seems to work.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you talking about a closed toe Keen sandal that is actually very much shoe-like? I think that the important thing with this type of closed toe hybrid sandal/shoe is that your toes don't touch the end when you are going downhill. Since you are already bringing shoes how about some open toe sandals like Tevas, that will really let your feet breathe,

Yes, it is indeed a closed toe one. But the back of the sandal, is of course stretching, so it will give if needed... And I have looked at the Tevas, but I wanted a version that minimize the number of pebbles that sneak in from the front ;-)

There is (or should be) no "rule" about sizing up from "normal." Just make sure your shoes or sandals are roomy enough to accommodate some swelling and changes of socks. Sizing up gives you shoes that are longer as well as wider, but swelling typically does not lengthen your foot. Besides, some of us normally wear shoes that are as loose as we can manage. For others, it can be a point of vanity to have small feet and we might choose the smallest size that seems to work.

I fully agree with the extra room in say, boots, as there is nowhere for feet to swell into :) But for sandals that are flexible? And will the loose fit not enhance the risk of blisters by allowing the material to rub over skin? 🤔

I'm trying to get my feet used to the same brand and type of sandal as well. I have been doing a few training walks with them withbpack weight. I now have one heel blister another two on the tops of my toes. I'm not sure that the soft bit at the back is soft enough to mound to your foot. I'm a little concerned as I just have a month to my starting date. I'm trying them without socks. I was thinking that now that I have discovered the points of trouble that I just tape these bits up.....I'm a little concerned as I just have a month to my starting date

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm trying to get my feet used to the same brand and type of sandal as well. I have been doing a few training walks with them withbpack weight. I now have one heel blister another two on the tops of my toes. I'm not sure that the soft bit at the back is soft enough to mound to your foot. I'm a little concerned as I just have a month to my starting date. I'm trying them without socks. I was thinking that now that I have discovered the points of trouble that I just tape these bits up.....I'm a little concerned as I just have a month to my starting date

Have you tried them with socks? Those sandals will not give us any street cred anyway... 😆

Hi @BBO which model Keen are you looking at? I wore Arroyo IIs and with both a closed toe and heel the regular shoe sizing advice applied.

Hi @BBO which model Keen are you looking at? I wore Arroyo IIs and with both a closed toe and heel the regular shoe sizing advice applied.

They are the Newport ones. When you say the regular sizing, do you mean what you would normally wear at home?🤔

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wear my regular size in Tevas and there is room enough for socks.

They are the Newport ones. When you say the regular sizing, do you mean what you would normally wear at home?🤔

By regular advice applied I meant going one size higher, sorry, I'm sometimes super unclear. But I'm guessing with the Newports it won't be such an issue. I also feel that with the sandals the use of thick or even double layers of socks isn't so useful and so you don't need the extra room.

I'll try them with socks next outing. Newport h2 here as well. Get what you say about street cred. My daughter said she wouldn't even walk from the front door to the gate with me when I had them on. I have done boots but my feet just gat way too hot which is a problem.... Would prefer without socks as feet much cooler and dryer....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, it is indeed a closed toe one. But the back of the sandal, is of course stretching, so it will give if needed... And I have looked at the Tevas, but I wanted a version that minimize the number of pebbles that sneak in from the front ;-)
I wore open toe sandals (with socks - the height of Camino fashion 😂) on my last two Caminos - only wore shoes for about a week on the Norte last year, and eventually shipped them off to Santiago. I rarely got stones in them, and when I did it was easy to shake them out. On the other hand, I saw pilgrims wearing boots having to sit down and dump handfuls of pebbles out occasionally.

They seem to fit well

Unless you consider colour to be important, you’ve pretty much answered your own question.

I take a different size in Scarpa boots than I do in Zamberlan boots, a different size in trail shoes and (very) different size in Birkenstock sandals. They all fit me perfectly.

I’m really in the same boat as you. I’m thinking of wearing my Keen Newports on CF starting in mid-Sept. I’m still dealing with sore spots from walking part of CF in May so will be interested in following your thought pattern ! Buen Camino planning! Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m really in the same boat as you. I’m thinking of wearing my Keen Newports on CF starting in mid-Sept. I’m still dealing with sore spots from walking part of CF in May so will be interested in following your thought pattern ! Buen Camino planning! Tom

It sounds like you are doing what I intend to do next year. Part in May/June and the rest in Sep/Oct, as I can not take time of from work to do it in one go. I would like to hear more about your trip, and how it works out for you! :)

It sounds like you are doing what I intend to do next year. Part in May/June and the rest in Sep/Oct, as I can not take time of from work to do it in one go. I would like to hear more about your trip, and how it works out for you! :)

Yes, let's keep in touch! I walked the first half and had to drop out at exactly the mid-point in Leon because of a nagging health problem. I'm good to go in another month. I'm going to start from "the beginning" again this time and will be much better hopefully. I had really great weather and just about everything was great except I was feeling sick and thus tired and grumpy. My reccomendations to you would be to make reservations for at least your first 3-4 nights. I got caught on night two without one. I lucked out but I know several that ended up walking another 25 km at night to get to a bed. Think of a horse race just out of the start. Its busy and jammed up. It gets better into the 2nd week, definately as people spread out, drop out, slow down. I'd also seek out the church-related non-profit albergues. More often they have communal meals and services in the evening which is where you tend to bond with others. Also, if you get away from the hard-and-fast "stages" (daily beginning and ending towns) you find that there are albergues along the way that don't always fill up so fast. Some are even a few km off the Camino but the owners will come and pick you up and drop you off. I didn't stay in any of these but I heard from others that they had a fantastic time with these.

Yes, let's keep in touch! I walked the first half and had to drop out at exactly the mid-point in Leon because of a nagging health problem. I'm good to go in another month. I'm going to start from "the beginning" again this time and will be much better hopefully. I had really great weather and just about everything was great except I was feeling sick and thus tired and grumpy. My reccomendations to you would be to make reservations for at least your first 3-4 nights. I got caught on night two without one. I lucked out but I know several that ended up walking another 25 km at night to get to a bed. Think of a horse race just out of the start. Its busy and jammed up. It gets better into the 2nd week, definately as people spread out, drop out, slow down. I'd also seek out the church-related non-profit albergues. More often they have communal meals and services in the evening which is where you tend to bond with others. Also, if you get away from the hard-and-fast "stages" (daily beginning and ending towns) you find that there are albergues along the way that don't always fill up so fast. Some are even a few km off the Camino but the owners will come and pick you up and drop you off. I didn't stay in any of these but I heard from others that they had a fantastic time with these.

Ah I see. Sorry to hear that breaking up the Camino wasn´t voluntary! Good to hear you are good to go again :) So even when starting in May there were crowding issues?! Can I ask what week day you started out? I am aiming at leaving on a Tues/Wednesday, as I understand the main stampede is over the weekends...
Regards / Bo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Zordmot, My feet seem to have got used to them now. Did 15km training today and all was good. I replaced the elasticated laces with normal non elasticated ones which appears to have helped stop the blisters. Have invested in some tape as well should I feel some hot spots...... Three weeks to go.......

I wore open toe sandals (with socks - the height of Camino fashion 😂)

Myself also. Boots for the day, sandals thereafter - with socks if chilly.

A young German woman took me to task for my ‘fashion’ in Leon one time. She was wearing a tiger-skin-print onesie and bright pink moon-boots at the time, so it was probably a draw!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.