• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandals and rain ? Do I wear socks..... Portugues in two week's time !

Gillyweb

Time of past OR future Camino
Villafranca - Santiago (2013)
SJPP - Santiago (2014)
Portugues (2017)
So....I feel ashamed to not know the answer to this after doing the CF twice but.....am I supposed to wear walking sandals in the rain ? With socks ? Without socks ??? What ???

I've always walked in my Berghaus lightweight high top hiking boots and they have only ever given me one blister. For the CF I needed them on the stonier sections (I like my ankles to feel supported) but having now done over 1000 miles I feel they may need to retire. I'm off to the Portugues in two weeks and I have a new pair of Merrill trekking shoes (All Out Blaze Sieve) which are super comfortable but which I'm currently wearing with socks. They are described as waterproof upper, but of course have holes in them (they are a sandal after all !!!) What do I do in the Galician rain ? I'm afraid to wear them barefoot as I don't want blisters but surely socks get soaked. Should I be taking my boots too ?? I'm in a quandry....help please :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Water proof socks would work, if it is cold out. Like other rain gear, your feet won't breath in them. If it's warm, just let them get wet and bring an extra pair of sole inserts.

Took one pair of waterproof socks this year because was walking in early spring in trail runners so expected snow and rain. Wearing them felt like what I imagine wearing a wet suit would be like but they certainly worked. Kept my feet totally dry. Biggest drawback (apart from the cost!) was, when washed, they took ages to dry. Tricky if you get several consecutive days of rain. Mind you noone else washes much then either. :p:p:p I'd take them again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Gillyweb where are you from? You say "south east" but not sure what continent/country. I only ask to know what might be available in your neck-of-the-woods.

I wear sandals in the rain. I have two different types of waterproof/breathable socks, and both are fine, but I would not wear them for extended periods because nothing that is waterproof is also completely breathable - so I keep them for when I really need them. One brand is Sealskinz https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/
and the other DexShell http://www.wetweatherwear.com/water-proof-socks.php

My suggestion is that you wear ordinary socks when it is dry, and the waterproof ones when it is wet. Although I don't wear socks most of the time, even when it rains. Easier to dry feet than socks!

So....I feel ashamed to not know the answer to this after doing the CF twice but.....am I supposed to wear walking sandals in the rain ? With socks ? Without socks ??? What ???

I've always walked in my Berghaus lightweight high top hiking boots and they have only ever given me one blister. For the CF I needed them on the stonier sections (I like my ankles to feel supported) but having now done over 1000 miles I feel they may need to retire. I'm off to the Portugues in two weeks and I have a new pair of Merrill trekking shoes (All Out Blaze Sieve) which are super comfortable but which I'm currently wearing with socks. They are described as waterproof upper, but of course have holes in them (they are a sandal after all !!!) What do I do in the Galician rain ? I'm afraid to wear them barefoot as I don't want blisters but surely socks get soaked. Should I be taking my boots too ?? I'm in a quandry....help please :)
No socks plus Teva F4's work for me ☺

On the Norte/Primativo mid April-early June I wore sandals the entire way. I wore a lite sock most of the time, but also had merino wool socks if it was colder. I doubled the thin and the merino on some cold or wet days, and only one horribly wet and cold day did my feet feel a bit cold, but all of me was cold too. I walked with no socks on part of the Camino dos Faros, but usually I was glad of the socks. I did buy some new ones part way across (Decathlon, 2 euros) as they had gotten trashed after a particularly bad series of "swamps" somewhere. The great thing about hiking in sandals is that after your feet get wet the first time, you really don't care, as they usually dry off quickly. I was going to buy Sealskinz after asking Kanga for advice, but my local EMS store didn't have my size, and I left it too late to order them. Next trip I will do the same combo again as I loved it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore socks with my sandals. But heavily Vaselined my feet to stop the friction and brought an extra pair of socks to change once the rain stopped.

I wore socks with my sandals. But heavily Vaselined my feet to stop the friction and brought an extra pair of socks to change once the rain stopped.

Take both waterproof and merino , 2 pairs of each.
In the morning is chilly put one on , a few hours latter take them off when having a coffee.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.