• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandals instead of boots

vcalleg

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
I am planing to start my Camino in early July for about 2 weeks beginning from Leon. I had read many opinions on how boots is the best option to walk but at the same time, many pilgrims had complain about blisters.....y haven't read the experience from pilgrims that walked the camino with Sandals....I would appreciate if I hear from them. Try many boots, bought merril gore-tex, and they feel very heavy and not comfortable on my feet at all! Do you think sandals will be a good option beginning from Leon?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@vcalleg at that time of the year for a walk from León to Santiago, I think sandals should be fine. Personally I think boots in the Spanish summer on the Camino are way overkill, and even worse if they are Goretek lined. Your feet are likely to swelter in boots - a recipe for blisters. Just make sure you give the sandals a good workout on varied terrains before you leave, to ensure they are comfortable, and they have good hiking soles.

I've walked the Frances in very light trainers, and seen lots of pilgrims in sandals. I plan on walking the Norte this year in a combination of Ecco sandals and lightweight joggers.

One word of warning - if you are planning not to wear socks - then make sure you apply and reapply sunscreen! I know of one person who had to abandon her walk when her sandalled feet became excruciatingly burnt.

There have been many questions concerning sandals. Sandals are very comfortable but they offer zero support for ankles, knees, lower back, and no protection against thorns, stones, wet and rain. I will now sing part of my favorite song, from the "Sunscreen Song" 'Be kind to your knees you will miss them when they are gone'. I sure do!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2012 one of my ladies had toes that looked like hamburger by the time we got to Los Arcos. She bought a pair of Keene Sandals and wore them the rest of the Camino, as I recall, and did fine. I also think Mermaid Lilly wore them on her Camino. I've seen a lot of sandals. These days they make them for hiking. I'd say if your ankles aren't weak to go for it, especially in July.

Personally I find boots too heavy also, but sandals don't feel supportive enough. I do know people that use them for hiking, though, and considering the Camino doesn't have any hardcore mountain trekking they would probably be fine. Might depend on the size of your backpack, though.

I wrote this in another thread, but it applies here.....

We walked in the Fall, the mornings could be cool. So as a rule I walked the first two hours of the morning in my KEEN Men's Targhee II Boots.
I also used my Boots on muddy days.

I hiked about 1/2 of the Camino, in my Teva Toachi 2 Sandals.

Sandal pro's..
Cooler feet
Less shoe contact/rubbing
On long down hills, Sandals won't bruise my longest toe (hurts and toe nail falls off)

Sandal con's
No ankle support
It can really hurts when you (accidentally) kick something

Hint....
When I buy my Sandals, I always buy them a full size too big.
I buy triple adjustable Sandals with real hiking soles
I adjust my foot to be at the back of the Sandal
This leaves my toes 3/4” (2cm) from the end of the Sandals.
It (may) look funny but gives me a “bumper” when I happen to kick something

May I just add this....
When you hike 800K in shoes, you (try to) find real Hiking Shoes or real Hiking Boots.
If your going to hike in sandals..... find real Hiking Sandals.
They must have soles that look (on the bottom) like hiking boots.
They must absorb the pounding of the trail.
They must not be damaged by sharp stones or the length of the walk.

Good luck, and may your feet be cool and blister free.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore Brooks Cascadia Trail Runners and Keen sandals and had no problems or blisters in Sept/Oct. I just switched every couple days and found I liked the sandals more with a pair of socks. Buen Camino! Pete

I cannot imagine how they would feel for me, given that I have very weak ankles, but I walked alongside a sandal-wearing Californian friend from Oviedo to Santiago and he swore by their comfort and support. If your feet can do it and the sandals are constructed for heavy-duty work, I don't see why not.

I am tempted to walk a good portion of the Francés in Tevas and wonder if they would work well in the rain/mud with shorts and an Altus rain poncho. Does anyone have any experience they care to share?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am planing to start my Camino in early July for about 2 weeks beginning from Leon. I had read many opinions on how boots is the best option to walk but at the same time, many pilgrims had complain about blisters.....y haven't read the experience from pilgrims that walked the camino with Sandals....I would appreciate if I hear from them. Try many boots, bought merril gore-tex, and they feel very heavy and not comfortable on my feet at all! Do you think sandals will be a good option beginning from Leon?

I have walked different Camino trails with my Chaco Z-1 sandals. I wear thin wool socks with them. The San Salvador was difficult because of the rocky uneven terrain and steep ascents. The Frances for the most part is very doable. Rain is an issue and you may get blisters if your feet are wet. The most important thing for me was to make sure that the soles were thick for protection from the rocks, provide plenty of cushion for shock absorption and have adjustability. I have no trouble with my ankles but I do have trouble with my ow back. I am a Physical Therapist and for my body, they work well. Not for everybody.

I walked the Voie de Littorale in South west France( began at Soulac ended at Bayonne approx 370km ) with my husband September 15 - 26th 2014 . I wore sandals and he wore runners. While I got no blisters and he did , I suffered from cracked heels because my Clarks Active Air sandals had only straps around the ankle so there was no support for the heels and they just spread. I coped by applying Compeed , Wearing socks to keep them in place and bought crocs as alternate walking shoes because they cupped my heels better. The Voie de Littorale is quite a sandy route so I don't know if it would have happened on a harder surface.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would recommend going for a few long walks in different types of footwear to test.

Some people have weak ankles and/or other leg issues where hiking boots help. Some people really like sandals.

Personally I really dislike sandals and just hike everywhere in very light running shoes (I use Asics).

My Camino's this summer will both be in runners.

Keen sandals (bought in Spain) saved my wife and I's Camino last summer. Our beloved, and well-broken in hiking boots were just too hot (heat rash and blisters). I also ended up with a pair of Merrell trail shoes, which I used for the more paved/asphalt sections. Were I to talk again in the summer, I'd bring two pairs of footwear to alternate: Keen sandals for the rougher parts and the rain, and very breathable, ventilated running shoes designed for concrete and asphalt. I'd wear boots only in shoulder seasons were warmth and mud might be more of an issue.

I am tempted to walk a good portion of the Francés in Tevas and wonder if they would work well in the rain/mud with shorts and an Altus rain poncho. Does anyone have any experience they care to share?
I wore my Keen closed toe hiking sandals Sept/Oct last year with wool socks in the rain and had no issues, socks got wet but were not uncomfortable. I wore shorts every day of the trip, we didn't have ponchos but rain gear with tops and pants. The sandals provided a nice break from the trailrunners I was wearing. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is difficult to find a good fitting shoes, do you have an outdoor footwear store nearby. I would not want to walk with sandals because i could not find a proper fitting boots. The question you should ask is do I need boots. As others have stated, if you don't have any issues with ankle, heel or arc support then go for an outdoor sandals that have good traction and some support (like keen daytona, lowa urbano, ecco yucatan). If you choose sandals, you still need to handle mud and rain which would necessitate some type of shoes anyway unless you are willing to walk in the wet muddy conditions in sandals as well. That is why most people compromise and carry a lightweight breathable walking shoe that is sufficient to handle steep ascent/descent, rough uneven terrain and wet conditions. Or carry two, an outdoor sandal and a shoe.

Last edited:

I switched from walking shoes to my Teva sandals this Summer when in VERY deep mud. You have to be careful with brambles etc but frankly I came to no harm even though I looked a right sight! It wasn't on the Camino though.

It is difficult to find a good fitting shoes, do you have an outdoor footwear store nearby. I would not want to walk with sandals because i could not find a proper fitting boots. The question you should ask is do I need boots. As others have stated, if you don't have any issues with ankle, heel or arc support then go for an outdoor sandals that have good traction and some support (like keen daytona, lowa urbano, ecco yucatan). If you choose sandals, you still need to handle mud and rain which would necessitate some type of shoes anyway unless you are willing to walk in the wet muddy conditions in sandals as well. That is why most people compromise and carry a lightweight breathable walking shoe that is sufficient to handle steep ascent/descent, rough uneven terrain and wet conditions. Or carry two, an outdoor sandal and a shoe.
Thank you Rajy62, I will go to REI this weekend and try running shoes and sandals and see how they feel on my feet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Rajy62, I will go to REI this weekend and try running shoes and sandals and see how they feel on my feet.
REI shoe experts should guide you in the right direction. If you do like some models, buy them and try them at home for a week, You can return them as long as they are not worn outside. Do try the Merrell ventlator hiking shoes ($90, light under 2 ibs). They also have them in mid height with or without waterproof. But no gore-tex. Enjoy shopping.

Last edited:
I am bringing Keen sandals as an alternative to my light hiking shoes (not backpacking boots). They are light and very comfortable and come with many different strap designs for better fit. You can wear them with or without socks rain or shine.
When it come to blisters and feet overheating the best prevention is to wear two socks, liner and wool.
The liner (on the inside) cools down feet and takes away moisture. The wool layer gives extra cushion and in the combination with the other sock prevents blistering. This strategy is recommended by various outdoors gear companies and it was tested on my own feet with great success.

Last edited:

Mike,
My wife and I walked in Keen sandals. With polypro socks they worked great in the rain (coolmax socks when it was dry). My wife walked in her Keen sandals and a Ferrero poncho (and long pants), and it worked fine for a summer (Frances, July-Aug. 2014) Camino. The summer rains were just not that cold. YMMV, especially in shoulder seasons when it is cooler.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks Jo Jo. My main concern is my feet being wet or muddy with the sandals and if this will be too hard on my feet.

Mike,

My experience was that me feet were wet, but not cold, in the sandals and polypro socks. My feet also got wet in allegedly waterproof boots earlier on the Camino. The difference was, in the boots, they stayed wet for a long time (days). The result was epic blisters (and the boots got donated in Santo Domingo). With the Keen sandals, I just waited for the rain to stop, and changed socks (if I thought the rain was likely to stay stopped).

I can't speak to mud. I guess either it did not bother me or was not that deep when I walked.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Well it is settled then! I really think sandals are best if my feet are going to get wet. Thanks for the help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, I don't think that the medieval pilgrims had hiking boots and they apparently still managed to get to Santiago!
For myself, I prefer boots for the protection and support they give to the foot and ankle. Now we live in the tropics and I have tried hiking in both my daily hiking shoes and also in my hiking boots ( both Merrell). The boots are also Goretex because we don't have a great selection here and when I went to replace my old ones, the Goretex model was the only one available. "Beggars can't be choosers".
Anyway, I have never felt that my feet were too hot when hiking in them here. I haven't had a blister since my first Camino. To avoid stubbing the toes, you have to stop a moment when you face a descent and relace your laces( check on Internet for tips) so that your toes don't hit the front of the boot.

Thanks Annakappa. I will be hiking mostly in a trail runner type shoe but I want an option for when I know my feet are going to get wet. I think I would rather have the rain soak my sandals than my shoes so I know when it stops I will have dry footwear.

Mike, I'm doing the same as you - taking lightweight trainers but also hiking sandals - in my case Eccos. I intend to wear the sandals in the wet and mud too. As always on Camino, I'm staying flexible. Getting it wrong seems to be my path to wisdom.

€149,-
Mike, I'm doing the same as you - taking lightweight trainers but also hiking sandals - in my case Eccos. I intend to wear the sandals in the wet and mud too. As always on Camino, I'm staying flexible. Getting it wrong seems to be my path to wisdom.

Thanks Kanga. I too have become comfortable learning the hard way. I'm just trying to ease the transition.;)

Thought it was time to report back on this thread. I finished up by wearing my Ecco Off-Road hiking sandals for the whole of the May/June Camino del Norte (840km), and September Camino Frances, including in the wet and through muddy tracks, and on hard roads. For me they worked well. They have a tough purpose built sole which shows not the slightest sign of wear. I tended to wade through mud and water without concern. If it was very cold I wore Sealskinz waterproof socks. Otherwise I did not wear socks. My friend who was walking the Camino Frances for the first time, on my suggestion, also wore Ecco Off-Road hiking sandals, but with socks. She found them perfectly comfortable and I can't recall her getting any blisters. I did not. Neither of us had problems with getting stones or pebbles inside the sandals, the pebbles just shake out, although it was a little more difficult with socks.

I have bad knees from old skiing accidents, and broke my ankle several years ago, but my trekking poles give me all the extra stability I need.

Kanga, Great that these sandals worked for you. Can you be specific about which sandal you used. Here in NA, the model names may be different. I see Ecco sport yucatan and Ecco sport offroad lite. I couldn't find any 'offroad hiking' model per se. I use the yucatan for walking around town. They are so comfortable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh goodness, not with my stumpy little toes!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kanga inspired me. I'll report on the Keen Arroyo II sandals. These are a sandal top married to a hiking boot sole. They have to toe rand to protect the toes (I would have killed myself in Kanga's open-toed sandals)

Testing: I replaced the Keen insoles that came with the sandals with Sole band insoles (which I now like more than Superfeet). Tested on a 13-day pilgrimage in Italy this summer, Florence to Assisi (sandals only for the rougher places; running shoes for the asphalt), and then as the only footwear on 200 miles in the Sierra Nevada mountains on the John Muir Trail this fall (trust me, the Pyrenees on the CF are really just foothills--the Sierra Nevadas are real mountains).

Comfort: While in Italy, switching on and off with the runners, they were perfect. They kept my feet cool and blister-free, and that was in 100+ degree, extremely humid, no breeze, weather everyday (NB--do not go to Italy in the summer. We thought the Meseta is hot in the summer. It was, but not anywhere near the sauna that is Central Italy in the summer).
By about day 10 on the Muir Trail wearing only sandals, they started to bother the tendon that runs on top of my foot from the big toe up. I ended up taking out all of the lacing except the top one the secures around the ankle. Also my heels started hurting, but that was probably not the sandals but some calluses that I had not scrubbed off before the trip as I should have done.

Durability: by the end of John Muir Trail there were two places were the sole was just starting to peel apart. Given how much granite they went through in the Sierra Nevadas, that is saying something.

Cleanliness: The dust of the Muir Trail was way worse than anything I saw on the Camino. Footpowder became unnecessary; the dust came right through the socks. Sandals are not nearly as clean as runners or boots.

Water: They worked just fine in the rain. My socks got wet, but while walking body heat kept them dry and warm enough. Then just change into dry socks when I stopped. The sandals dry in no time. By comparison, my experience with "waterproof" boots is that they wet through after an hour or two of rain and take days to dry.

Bottom line: I'm converted. I'll use sandals unless the weather is cool enough to require boots for warmth. The sandals were a little too light the day we got snow going over Muir Pass (12,000'), but short of that they were fine.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Thought it was time to report back on this thread. I finished up by wearing my Ecco Off-Road hiking sandals for the whole of the May/June Camino del Norte (840km), and September Camino Frances, including in the wet and through muddy tracks, and on hard roads. For me they worked well. They have a tough purpose built sole which shows not the slightest sign of wear. I tended to wade through mud and water without concern. If it was very cold I wore Sealskinz waterproof socks. Otherwise I did not wear socks. My friend who was walking the Camino Frances for the first time, on my suggestion, also wore Ecco Off-Road hiking sandals, but with socks. She found them perfectly comfortable and I can't recall her getting any blisters. I did not. Neither of us had problems with getting stones or pebbles inside the sandals, the pebbles just shake out, although it was a little more difficult with socks.

I have bad knees from old skiing accidents, and broke my ankle several years ago, but my trekking poles give me all the extra stability I need.
During our May - June Camino this year my walking buddy, female, 62, developed a blister under the toenail of her second toe, left foot, wearing her boots. At Burgos she switched to her everyday walking sandals and made SdC in 24 days. I would have bet money she could not have done it, but she did. For her, sandals was the answer. Gave me a new perspective on sandals.

Kanga - after reading your posts on ECCO sandals I decided I'd get a pair for my birthday. They were lovely looking - so well constructed and great strong sole BUT on my left foot they were slightly uncomfortable around the area where the toe-strap fitted across my foot. The ECCO staff told me not to get them unless they felt perfectly comfortable straight away. I was soooo disappointed!! I later looked at Teva and Merrell sandals but none are are strong and supportive and well made as the ECCOs - nor were they comfortable. The ECCO on my right foot was as comfortable as my Crocs and that is saying something. Am I doomed to go sandaless forever?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@KristinSdV I bought the mens - they don't look so good but the footbed suits me better. In the womens size my arch is sort of in the wrong place. They are also half a size bigger than my normal shoes. Do you think it was the particular pair or size you were wearing, or something wrong for you about the whole design? I personally think it is great that the sales staff cautioned you against something that did not feel right. And I agree with them. But maybe you could try some other styles. Everyone's feet are different. Keep looking! There are lots of other makes out there too, not just Merrells and Tevas but also Keens as mentioned, and not just the makes in hiking stores. Some of the German manufacturers make good walking sandals and I saw some Birkenstocks today that looked possible.

Jo Jo
I found your experience with the Arroyo II's interesting. I'm doing CF in April/May and plan to take mid height boots for wet/cold stretches and Keen Arroyo II hiking sandles for dry/warm conditions and non-walking time. Due to severe pronation, I also need to use orthodics. Do you think orthodics would have held up for the long haul in your Keen Arroyo's?

@KristinSdV I bought the mens - they don't look so good but the footbed suits me better. In the womens size my arch is sort of in the wrong place. They are also half a size bigger than my normal shoes. Do you think it was the particular pair or size you were wearing, or something wrong for you about the whole design? I personally think it is great that the sales staff cautioned you against something that did not feel right. And I agree with them. But maybe you could try some other styles. Everyone's feet are different. Keep looking! There are lots of other makes out there too, not just Merrells and Tevas but also Keens as mentioned, and not just the makes in hiking stores. Some of the German manufacturers make good walking sandals and I saw some Birkenstocks today that looked possible.

Thanks Kanga! I didn't think to ask to try the men's version of the ECCOs, which was silly of me. I will do that first and then look at Birkenstocks - though they haven't really appealed to me in the past. Are there other German brands you can recommend?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps not the most elegant footwear, but Ecco Cerro sandals are pretty good for walking long distances on rugged paths..

image.jpeg

Perhaps not the most elegant footwear, but Ecco Cerro sandals are pretty good for walking long distances on rugged paths..

View attachment 23124

Ha ha! My favourite shoes are Crocs!! I wear them all the time inside the house and in the garden and even to walk locally. So elegance is not at all a concern. I'm looking for something as comfortable as Crocs but sturdy for off-road walking yet also that I can wear 'around town" in Melbourne during the summer heat. I worry that the Cerro won't provide the ventilation I'm seeking. I was hoping to also test the ECCO Offroad or All Terrain ones in my training for the Camino. While the Cerro could be good for this, budget constraints mean I can only afford one pair and am looking for something more versatile. (Given the 90 degree plus weather we get here!)

Thanks Kanga! I didn't think to ask to try the men's version of the ECCOs, which was silly of me. I will do that first and then look at Birkenstocks - though they haven't really appealed to me in the past. Are there other German brands you can recommend?
Have a look at the Northland sandals. Bought mine in Astorga. Good arch support and thread.

€149,-
Kanga, I have a question regarding your sandals' adjustable heel strap. When you tighten it don't the separate heel liners overlap? Didn't it cause problem when you were walking? I got Ecco Delta Sandals which has similar heel strap adjustment and wondering if this will cause problem as I walk since I can feel it on my heel.

Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
image.jpeg
Kanga, Great that these sandals worked for you. Can you be specific about which sandal you used. Here in NA, the model names may be different. I see Ecco sport yucatan and Ecco sport offroad lite. I couldn't find any 'offroad hiking' model per se. I use the yucatan for walking around town. They are so comfortable.

My Camino footware Ecco closed toe sandals, Columbia tech lite Summer, Lourdes to Sahagun

@FrPeter I know it is adjustable but I don't think I've changed the heel strap since I walked out of the shop. I really don't want to try to talk people into anything - these work for me, and they may work for others, but it is a matter of being happy and satisfied yourself that you find them comfortable.

The first pair of shoes looked a lot like the ones in the above picture and I liked the fact that if I got blisters I could wear them without the strap as cloags. But I never got blisters and never had to walk with the straps off.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@FrPeter I know it is adjustable but I don't think I've changed the heel strap since I walked out of the shop. I really don't want to try to talk people into anything - these work for me, and they may work for others, but it is a matter of being happy and satisfied yourself that you find them comfortable.
I guess I will just have to try it out and see. Thank you.

I tried the Ecco Off Road women's sandals. They were very comfortable but after 2 hours training walk, up and down hilly tracks, I felt pain and found they had rubbed the skin over my incipient bunion nearly raw. It was not a blister, but abrasion. I then discovered that the front part consists of a fixed elastic strap with an adjustable velcro strap on top. So you can only tighten, not loosen. The problem was with my foot shape, rather than the sandals themselves. Had it been possible to loosen the front strap, they might have been fine. Just a caution to those with similar issues.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.