• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Sandals or flip flop

Elizabeth Alvarez

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
I am a day a way from my trip to the Camino Portugues. I am still debating if I should take my Keen sandlas or if I shuold buy a lighter one.
I plan to use them on paved paths not on the trail.
What is your advice.
Thanks
Elizabeth

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My wife and I bought Keens on the Frances (July Aug 2014). They were great on gravel roads and dirt paths, but just okay on concrete and asphalt (had a pair of Merrell trail shoes for that, which were better but still not great). But they would be hands down better than flip flops. Were I to do it again, I'd keep the Keens and swap the trail runners for shoes designed for running on concrete (Hoxo or such).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I am a day a way from my trip to the Camino Portugues. I am still debating if I should take my Keen sandlas or if I shuold buy a lighter one.
What is your advice.
Thanks
Elizabeth
on the cobble/paved roads in portugal i would recommend the best, most comfy shoes you can wear w/ the best cushioning/support. flip-flops for beach or shower are suitable, but IMO, not on those cobbles or when carrying the extra weight of a back-pack. the Sandals i carried along i only wore "off-camino" or in albergue/shower.
enjoy your time in portugal ...Bom Caminho!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What is your advice.
Thanks
Elizabeth
You'll regret when walking on the terrible cobblestoned roads.
We just left them behind the last two days coming from Porto airport.
Further on you'll meet some nasty off road paths. My advice. Decent walking shoes

My wife and I bought Keens on the Frances (July Aug 2014). They were great on gravel roads and dirt paths, but just okay on concrete and asphalt (had a pair of Merrell trail shoes for that, which were better but still not great). But they would be hands down better than flip flops. Were I to do it again, I'd keep the Keens and swap the trail runners for shoes designed for running on concrete (Hoxo or such).

Buen Camino,
excellent advice this is exactly what my wife and I used on our second Frances and it was the perfect answer.
Jo Jo

Lot of people wore sandals last May walking from SJPDP to Santiago. One young woman wore flip flops for the entire walk. I wore sneakers on the hike and sandals in the evenings but if doing it again , I would wear flip flops in evening and sneakers during the hike.

Also my Novias expensive hiking boots gave out in Astorga and she bought a cheap pair of sneakers to finish the walk ---no problems with the cheap sneakers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took hiking boots for the day and crocs to wear at night and in the shower. The good things about crocs are that they're super light, can be strung to the outside of your pack and you just need to add socks to make them warmer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Pano, I checked out the link. Don't know why but I only see ladies' stuff. LOL. I was looking for something a guy could wear. Love the pink multi Sandbagger, LOL. Would surely be a good conversation starter at the Albergues.:D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've got freaky Monkey feet with a huge space between my big toe and my little toes. My girlfriend calls me the missing link. Lol. Regular flip flops go flying off my feet because of that space. So flip flops are out for me. But I do LOVE my Teva sandals. If I could wear them all year round here in NY, I would. I grew up on the beach and always felt like shoes were prisons for my feet. I hike in my Tevas all the time, and am thinking of walking the Camino in em. I may bring a back up pair of minimal trail runners from Merrell, but will walk mostly in my Tevas. Love em.

I wear Keen mid-height boots to walk as I have foot and ankle issues and need the extra support. I carry the lightest weight and cheapest flip-flops (sp = changlas) I can for shower use. This helps preclude catching a nasty foot fungus from a sketchy shower pan.

For rest days and evening use, to give my boots a chance to air out and dry (with insoles removed) I also carry a pair of Ecco sport sandals. Before this, I have used Decathlon sport sandals, and a pair of Crocs.
The sport sandals are the ubiquitous sandals that are made by many manufacturers. They are sturdy and provide good support. I can wear them with or without socks. If needs must, they can be worn walking during the day, although I have not yet had to revert to that.

Yes, this combination weighs a tad more than something else might, and my feet are large(ish) which contributes to the weight issue. However, my feet are the most important thing I am carrying with me on Camino. If I take care of them, they will take care of me. So, they get extra credit when it comes to packing consideration.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back