• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandals with or without socks or trail runners?

simeon

Time of past OR future Camino
Lots done and more to do!
Ok I'm sorta done with boots, too hot and sweaty in the heat and too hard to dry when wet. Should I go the trail runners or the sandals and if the sandals with or without socks and what socks. Do I need liners like boots?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are as many opinions on that as there are posters.

Which are the most comfortable on your feet?

Even if you walk in sandals without socks, you may want socks available to put on, to deal with sweat, cold, friction, etc.

For hot summer walking I go for Teva sandals and no socks but I also pad around in bare feet at home and wear sandals a lot so my feet are usually quite tough. If you always wear shoes and socks you'll need to ease yourself into wearing no socks/sandals! I usually take trail runners in addition to my sandals for really long days, cold days, need extra cushioning/support days.

I've also got a pair of Keen leather Newport sandals which are more like hiking shoes. They're fairly enclosed so my feet don't get cold but I find them too hot in summer Spain. Like all footwear what works for you is going to be hugely individual.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are as many opinions on that as there are posters.
Which are the most comfortable on your feet?
Even if you walk in sandals without socks, you may want socks available to put on, to deal with sweat, cold, friction, etc.
THIS! Plain and simple, what @NorthernLight said...truer words could not be spoken!
I wear Teva Fi 4 or 5 with and without socks. I use a combination of toe socks and Wrightsocks, as needed. Buen Camino!

I've walked full camino's in boots, sandals, and/or trail runners. Each has its pros and cons, depending on individual taste, of course. Through much trial and error, my footwear of choice is the Altra trail runner (Lone Peak or TIIMP). I have a wide foot (which started my journey away from boots in the first place), so this brand works great for me. Happy feet, happy camino (for the most part) !! Good luck !! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wore my Teva trail sandals for a few days walking the Frances. They were my shower/backup/relaxing shoes. I must say, I was impressed with how sturdy they are and supportive. I wore a thin pair of running socks with them to avoid chafing and rubbing from the straps, but some people don't and are just fine. I have seen quite a few pilgrims walk the entire Frances all the way to SDC in trail sandals. One great thing about them is you can wash them down everyday. No smelly, muddy, dirty footwear to put on. Clean and fresh set of footwear everyday.

I have seen quite a few pilgrims walk the entire Frances all the way to SDC in trail sandals
Last year I walked the Norte mostly in sandals, and this year I did my combo Camino Frances-Salvador-Norte exclusively in sandals. I did my first two Caminos in trail runners, but my feet feel sooo much better in sandals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The good quality trekking sandals have a neoprene inner to avoid friction or chafing so socks not necessary - though worth carrying to use if cold (and to use as slippers in the dorm) ... but watch out for sunburn as that soft always hidden skin is exposed!

Socks with sandals on Camino seem to be ok - no fashion rules there - but I think that may be illegal in Britain :eek::D;).

There is something rather satisfying, lacing up boots and stamping feet in the morning before the 'big trek', that is missed when slipping on trekking sandals - but oh! the right ones are soooo comfortable and supportive - mine are the Keen Newport H2.

But - as above - comfort over everything!

The good quality trekking sandals have a neoprene inner to avoid friction or chafing so socks not necessary - though worth carrying to use if cold (and to use as slippers in the dorm) ... but watch out for sunburn as that soft always hidden skin is exposed!

Socks with sandals on Camino seem to be ok - no fashion rules there - but I think that may be illegal in Britain :eek::D;).

There is something rather satisfying, lacing up boots and stamping feet in the morning before the 'big trek', that is missed when slipping on trekking sandals - but oh! the right ones are soooo comfortable and supportive - mine are the Keen Newport H2.

But - as above - comfort over everything!
Once when my daughters were teenagers I had to run out the door for a few minutes in the winter and I put on a pair of sandals and I was wearing socks in the house. They both tackled me at the door and you can't go out dressed like that. I said what do you care. The answer from my sweet baby daughter was, unfortunately everyone knows you are our father and you embarrass us enough already!

Last September/October I walked with KEEN Newport sandals about 1/2 the time and MERREL Moab trail runners the other half. Usually I would alternate days, but no rule. BUT... I was religious about applying vaseline on feet every morning. Also, I wore REI merino wool socks daily (took 3 pair and washed nightly) Sometimes I would put on thin liners before socks. Only had 1 small blister (poked, drained, neosporin, bandaid - like new in 2 days). I really liked the KEEN sandals because of enclosed toe, which kept small stones from getting in, worked great as shower shoes, and just walking around allergies or out to sightsee / dinner.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Socks with sandals on Camino seem to be ok - no fashion rules there - but I think that may be illegal in Britain :eek::D;)."
David we wear sandals all year round in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle). In the winter we wear thicker wool socks to protect us from the rain and snow.
🤪

're illegal in Britain - absolutely. My wife dispairs of my fashion sense but even I wouldn't dream of wearing socks with sandals. On a more serious point - I used tevas as my back up and evening foot wear on previous caminos. But they are heavy so I'm currently using a pair of Xeros - super comfortable and very light.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like sandles generally from the replies above. Keen Newport, Teva and Keen seem to be the main contenders from the above. I'll check each out. Yeah I think that the Camino is the only place where sandles and socks are even barley legal....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Keen Newport, Teva and Keen seem to be the main contenders from the above.
I prefer an open toe sandal. I tried several models of Tevas, but they didn't work for my particular feet. I ended up in Merrell hiking sandals. Many people swear by Chacos, and Ecco Yucatan sandals are also a favorite.

My preference is for sandals - no socks. I use Source Gobi trekking sandals and can dip my feet in streams on hot days. They get washed every day I don't feel the need to dry them before putting them on again.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thanks for all the replies. I need closed toe sandals (Just believe me!) The keen ones look quite good in the reviews. I'm going off to the shops at the weekend to try on a few.... I'm only starting my training for September so they will be well worn in before I go!. Ill have to sneak out of the house and make sure im not seen if I do the socks as well!

Once when my daughters were teenagers I had to run out the door for a few minutes in the winter and I put on a pair of sandals and I was wearing socks in the house. They both tackled me at the door and you can't go out dressed like that. I said what do you care. The answer from my sweet baby daughter was, unfortunately everyone knows you are our father and you embarrass us enough already!
I do not know if people are aware of the letters discovered in a waste pit from Roman Legionaries stationed on Hadrians Wall at Vindolanda fort. However one of them was requesting new socks from a friend/spouse. So if the Romans wore socks with their Caligae 1900 years ago then it should be OK to do so today. After all many of the Caminos follow Roman roads.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I prefer an open toe sandal. I tried several models of Tevas, but they didn't work for my particular feet. I ended up in Merrell hiking sandals. Many people swear by Chacos, and Ecco Yucatan sandals are also a favorite.
Choprock shandal? Choprock strap? Which model?

I just walked 400 km from Lucca to Rome, with all of those endless Tuscan climbs. I wore Teva sandals (with smart wool socks) the whole way. My feet have never been happier and were blister-free!

Choprock shandal? Choprock strap? Which model?
Last year I wore the Merrell Siren Strap sandal
https://www.merrell.com/US/en/siren...yTvBolUBTv78_TONTjxoCXHkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This year I wore a men's Merrell sandal, the All Out Blaze Convertible, which sadly, has been discontinued. I have already purchased a new pair for next year's Camino.
There are limited sizes available on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HEAE3J2/?tag=casaivar02-20
and Zappos
https://www.zappos.com/p/merrell-all-out-blaze-sieve-convert-black/product/8620442/color/3
And possibly other vendors

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last year my leather boots go wet and shrunk in the first week :rolleyes:. I was wearing toe sock liners with Coolmax hiking socks. I switched to my Teva Toachi sandals (good Vibram sole) and wore them with just the toe socks. This stopped me from feeling every little bit of sand/grit that found it's way under my feet. It wasn't a pretty look 🤣 but my feet (and knee & hip joints) were so much more comfortable. The sandals handled all types of terrain just as well as my boots did.

Next year I will take trail runners and the same sandals and toe socks. No more boots for me either.

Good luck working out what suits you best .... and Buen Camino

Remind your daughters, as I do mine (frequently), that children cost a small fortune to raise and that it is your inalienable right to embarrass them whenever you like - I love the sound of the words "You are SO embarrassing!" and the glare that accompanies them.

Trail runners BTW ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok I'm sorta done with boots, too hot and sweaty in the heat and too hard to dry when wet. Should I go the trail runners or the sandals and if the sandals with or without socks and what socks. Do I need liners like boots?
The only way to find out what suits you is to try it and see. If you're not accustomed to walking in very light shoes it's worth getting some miles in before you go because it takes several months for the ligaments and muscles in your feet to get strong.

Personally I never use liners whatever shoes or boots I wear, so I can't comment on that. And I never wear socks with sandals anyway.

... I really liked the KEEN sandals because of enclosed toe, which kept small stones from getting in ...
And just to prove we are all different, I hate the enclosed toe because if you do get stones inside you can't easily just shake them out as you can with open sandals like Tevas.

I have walked Camino Norte in Merrill sandals with no issues. On some wet days I wore socks depending on under foot condition.
I still walk in sandals but carry trail runners with me as backup. I actually never use them but have a fear of nettles (got badly stung as a child) and only once did I have to change into them.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thanks for all your replies - I tried on the keens at the weekend after a session in the boots with pack weight so my feet would be in the same ish condition as when I would be walking with them and I liked them. Fitted good, more impact cushioning and no movement.... Just awaiting payday to get them. If I can manage without socks I will.

I bought and wore a pair of the Hoka One Speed Goats on the Camino Portuguese this spring and absolutely loved them. Like you I was done with boots. I did bring a pair of Tevas with me as well, but really only wore those in the evenings.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.