• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandals.

Richo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2014; Via Podiensis 2017.
Good morning peregrinos,
I'm starting from Seville on 2 May. I'm in the market for some wet and dry sandals for evening wear and for crossing arroyos. Keens have been recommended, but which ones for the VDLP??? I guess a good sole with excellent traction, quick drying and somewhat stylish for getting around the town - at least not ugly :) Any ideas appreciated.

Richard.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have worn Newport, Whisper and Venice on various caminos and at-home walks. Newport is the most ugly but wore best, with longest-lasting sole.

Good morning peregrinos,
I'm starting from Seville on 2 May. I'm in the market for some wet and dry sandals for evening wear and for crossing arroyos. Keens have been recommended, but which ones for the VDLP??? I guess a good sole with excellent traction, quick drying and somewhat stylish for getting around the town - at least not ugly :) Any ideas appreciated.

Richard.
I have a pair of these men's sandals that have great traction https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BXV756/?tag=casaivar02-20
I think that @intrepidtraveler wore them on the VdlP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Suggest you take a look at Bedrock Cairn 3D sandals...only drawback with this style is you'll need to get some toe socks (injinji style) if you want to wear socks with these sandals.

Good morning peregrinos,

Richard.
I'll be about a week behind you, Richo. Thanks for the question and others for their responses. Very helpful!

Thanks Kiwi, I'll take a look at them.
I have worn Newport, Whisper and Venice on various caminos and at-home walks. Newport is the most ugly but wore best, with longest-lasting sole.

Kiwi

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good morning peregrinos,

Richard.
I hate the look of my keen sandals, but they are glued to my feet as soon as the weather permits, until it is time to put on shoes in autumn. I don’t remember the style name, but probably the most expensive one...🙃

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hate the look of my keen sandals, but they are glued to my feet as soon as the weather permits, until it is time to put on shoes in autumn. I don’t remember the style name, but probably the most expensive one...🙃

It’s not that I don’t like the look of the Keens but I always think in for a penny in for a pound if I’m in sandals my toes might as well get some air. 😁

I love my Tevas, I’m surprised they haven’t been mentioned yet! They’re Hurricanes. They have the normal Teva look on top but the sole has fabulous traction and grip. They are also comfy for my wide-ish feet.

It’s not that I don’t like the look of the Keens but I always think in for a penny in for a pound if I’m in sandals my toes might as well get some air. 😁

I love my Tevas, I’m surprised they haven’t been mentioned yet! They’re Hurricanes. They have the normal Teva look on top but the sole has fabulous traction and grip. They are also comfy for my wide-ish feet.
I forgot to mention that I bought Keen because i can’t find Tevas any more in Dublin. I agree, they are excellent. When mine wore out I was 😩

It’s the toe protection that I like with the keens - perhaps because I walk in them

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Keen Arroyos meet all your needs, apart from looking stylish in town!

Good morning peregrinos,

Richard.
My Newports have been all over the world and saved my feet. Good traction, comfy due to foot shape (Whisper, Venice, etc. are not shaped like your feet!), H2 Newport are waterproof.

€149,-
Good morning peregrinos,

Richard.
I walked in late May and June. I had great Keen hiking boots. Whenever my feet got hot I changed into Chacos and walked in then a couple of hours until the swelling of my overheated feet went down. I never got a blister! I love Chacos because you can adjust them for thick socks, wear them in the water and they aren’t too bad looking. (Unless you’re Spanish). They have great arch support too.

Haha, mine (Venice H2) are glued to my feet well into winter -- only exception is when the snow flies! And yes, I take them as my second pair on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good morning peregrinos,

Richard.
No one cares what you wear, so forget ugly. Comfort and ease is what you want.

Good morning peregrinos,

Richard.

My first sandals were Merrell and they were very pretty, I thought (as walking sandals go!) but.... they weren’t ok in water.
So now I always take Teva Terra Filite.... Very comfortable, very good to walk in even in ‘rugged’ terrain. Can deal with water....
Looks aren’t everything ;)

I've used Tevas in different models for most of my Camino walking, not just the evenings.
I prefer open toe sandals to minimize friction on the toes.
I also prefer sandals which allow adjustments on all three straps (front, middle and back).
Because the straps have an inner padded liner they do retain some moisture but seem to dry fairly quickly.
On cold and wet days I use waterproof socks although I guess on your route and timing this should be less of an issue.
My wife uses her walking shoes half the day and switches to sandals after our lunch stop so as to rest and air the feet, especially on warmer days - never had a blister yet!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first sandals were Merrell and they were very pretty, I thought (as walking sandals go!) but.... they weren’t ok in water.
So now I always take Teva Terra Filite.... Very comfortable, very good to walk in even in ‘rugged’ terrain. Can deal with water....
Looks aren’t everything ;)
Merrell does make sandals that are designed to get wet, such as the sandals that I linked to above, which they call a "water sandal". I actually wore a different style of Merrells for about 80% of the Camino del Norte last year. I have tried several different Teva styles, including the Terra Fi Lite, but the straps just didn't work with my feet. I have a brand new pair in women's size 11 if anyone is interested.

Good morning peregrinos,

Richard.
I carried Birkenstock EVA sandals. Great for cruising around towns and for the albergue showers. My boots were comfy, so I didn’t walk in them, but a Korean couple we walked with did the entire Frances in them (with socks). Plus they are inexpensive and very lightweight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Eco Yucatan sandals all day, every day.
They don't have much sole cushion, so you may want inserts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I moved from keen boots which I had no blisters in the first year, to keen Newport’s after terrible blisters the second year in the same boots?!?
I bought them in Astorga as I was desperate and they were amazingly comfortable. Plus you get away from insoles hassle of boots.

Done two Camino's, West Highland Way and all over Colorado in Chacos. Arch support, cushioning against rocks, traction for fording, infinitely adjustable, with or without socks, never a blister, kicked many roots and rocks without striking toes, can be resoled (reChaco), and the bonus...Chaco Stripes!

Sounds good Leibniz.

I bought Teva lite based on a recommendation from this forum for my first camino.
Wore them for the next 3 long walks summer vacation and will bring them on my VdlP in April.

I bought Teva lite based on a recommendation from this forum for my first camino.
Wore them for the next 3 long walks summer vacation and will bring them on my VdlP in April.

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love my Teva Terra Fi ... and my Chacos ... and my Merrills (wearing them at the moment ... without socks)
... and I can’t decide which to leave behind, when I (eventually) get back on Camino.

I took a (lighter) pair of Tevas, as an alternative to my trusty Salomon (very lightweight) boots last time. Next time, I intend to leave the boots at home and just take some warm merino socks.
I’d forgotten I had the Chacos, until @JillGat mentioned them, months ago.
I dug them out and started wearing them ... sooo comfortable (Thanks, Jill 😊)

@Richo
Best advice I can offer is go try some on in a reliable outdoor shop, check (with a staff member) that the soles of those that feel ‘right’ are known to grip well on wet surfaces, and buy those.

Ultreia!

PS ... my Teva Terra Fi grip slippery wet rocks and dry fairly quickly; I haven’t tried my Chacos on wet rocks yet, but the uppers are minimalist and dry really quickly. I don’t like getting my Merrills wet .. but they are not the ‘Water’ ones that @trecile mentioned above.

Edit: Terra Filites seem to have a lot less protection for the foot than my Terra Fi pair.

I bet they're Keens Whispers or something similar. Not a thing of beauty but bloody comfortable, dry quickly, lightweight with great grippy soles, easy to put on and if you do a complicated foot wobble you can shake any loose stones out and burn some calories at the same time! My husband and I both have them for our hot hot hot Central Otago summer in New Zealand. :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.