• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sansol or Torres del Rio? Viana or Logrono? Advice requested please...

julia-t

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015-17
Kumano Kodo March 2018
Camino Portuguese Valenca-SdC April 2018
I'm now thinking about the next stage of my Camino at the end of April - I'm only walking for 5 days from Puente la Reina.

I have some back, hip and foot issues so cannot carry my pack for long, and I plan on using Correos or Jacotrans. Which means I need to have a rough idea of where I will be staying to have the pack sent ahead. 15km a day is a perfect distance for me, though 20km is doable.

I will definitely stay in Villatuerta (a bed at Casa Magica is already reserved) and Villamayor de Monjardin.

But then... Sansol or Torres del Rio - which is better/nicer? Any albergue or restaurant recommendations? Please tell me of your experiences if you stayed in either place. This day will be my 59th birthday so where might be the best place to celebrate it?

And the day after will be May 1st, a national holiday. Should I stop in Viana where I read there is a very nice parochial albergue, or push on to Logrono?

If it's any help I prefer villages and small towns to larger settlements - and I love good food and wine.

PS If anyone reading this will be walking at the same time - come and share a bottle of Rioja with me!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can't speak to Sansol vs Torres del Rio, or really Viana--except to say that I thought I was going to stay there but ended up walking straight through. Can't say why, exactly. Triple-decker bunks may have had a bit to do with it, but that wasn't all...I just didn't resonate with the place. So take what i say with a grain of salt--it's just preference. Viana's certainly smaller than Logrono!

Triple deck bunks are no longer found in the Viana albergue!

Viana has many very good restaurants. One favorite is the restaurant in the Palacio de Pujados hotel where local vintners seem enjoy eating well. Last October the menu del dia was less than 15 euros including 3 courses, a bottle of local Rioja wine and coffee; all were superb! Here is their TripAdvisor citation. Enjoy!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you Viranani and mspath.

Triple bunks! Oh my, I don't think I could manage even a top bunk let alone one even higher so it is a relief to know they no longer exist.

Viana does appeal to me, yet because I have such a short time I'd kind of like to get further along. But a little voice says to me 'what's the rush, take time to stop and "smell the roses" - you can get the bus back to Bilbao from Navarrete, Logrono, it doesn't really matter'. And it's right, I shall be returning in the autumn to walk another few days.

I shall see how I feel at the time. I can carry my backpack for a few km, so if I reach Viana and feel like going on... well I just might. Though the lure of good food and wine may keep me there!

I'd still like opinions on Torres del Rio v Sansol... Anyone?

Last week I unexpectably ended in Viana instead of Logrono due to feeling miserable after walking dor thrèe hours in a snowstorm. Stayed at the municipal albergue and i found it good. During my stay i also visiting the church.

We (3) spent the night in Viana where we stayed at the Donativo albergue July 4th, 2015. Had three "crazy"ladies (in a nice way) who provided a great supper and mats on the floors. Right in the center where there was a concert outside the albergue. The only drawback I had was our window was on the side of the plaza where the Spaniards played ball against the wall until 4 am. Other than that it was great and met one of our Camino family there. And, a good breakfast of French toast!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My experience is that Torres de Rio is a bigger village , more places to eat , more , albergues , more shop to buy food.
Even it is only 800 hundred meters from Sansol .
I stay in Sansol in a brand new albergues with a nice courtyard , a garden , a peaceful fountain where to refresh your feet , and also a wonderful diner and breakfast ,I was quite happy to be there ,( I don't remember the name of this albergue) I also when down to Torres del Rio for a walk .
I also found that they just opened a very nice albergue or Hotel with swimming pool in Torres del Rio very nice indeed .
So up to you to decide !

Regarding Viana, this is a good place to stay. Next morning you can take a bus into Logrono, which avoids a boring walk through industrial suburbs. Then you would have more time for sightseeing in Logrono. BTW, I stayed overnight at the Palacio de Pujados Hotel. It resembles a historic Parador, with a more reasonable price tag. Highly recommended, with very helpful reception staff.

I stayed in Torres del Rio last year at Casa Mariela and it was OK but very commercial. I had a look at Casa Mari from outside and it appeared very good and the peregrinos seemed to be having a good time. Yes Sansol is smaller than Torres and just 800 metres apart. I also stayed at Viana in 2010 at the Parochial and vowed never to stay there again - bed bugs, virtually no space between the foam mattresses on the floor, and minute dinner. I didn't stay for breakfast. I've also stayed at the municipal twice and confirm the bunks are now 2 level, not 3 as previous years. It is big but has good facilities and very clean. Viana is a big town, but nice with plenty of good restaurants. Note that if you forward your bags by Correos or other companies, an occasional albergue will not accept them because the opinion is that you are not a true pilgrim ( in my opinion this is a total fallacy). The Municipal in Viana is one of those who do not accept forwarded baggage, but the forwarding companies know this, and leave your bag at a nearby hotel about 100 metres away. This arrangement applies to all albergues who do not accept forwarded bags. I write this based on my experience in forwarding my bag last year and also as a hospitalero

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm now thinking about the next stage of my Camino at the end of April - I'm only walking for 5 days from Puente la Reina.

I have some back, hip and foot issues so cannot carry my pack for long, and I plan on using Correos or Jacotrans. Which means I need to have a rough idea of where I will be staying to have the pack sent ahead. 15km a day is a perfect distance for me, though 20km is doable.

I will definitely stay in Villatuerta (a bed at Casa Magica is already reserved) and Villamayor de Monjardin.

But then... Sansol or Torres del Rio - which is better/nicer? Any albergue or restaurant recommendations? Please tell me of your experiences if you stayed in either place. This day will be my 59th birthday so where might be the best place to celebrate it?

And the day after will be May 1st, a national holiday. Should I stop in Viana where I read there is a very nice parochial albergue, or push on to Logrono?

If it's any help I prefer villages and small towns to larger settlements - and I love good food and wine.

PS If anyone reading this will be walking at the same time - come and share a bottle of Rioja with me!
I stayed at Albergue San Sol which is on the left as you enter town. In 2014 it was nearly brand new. Dinner is available at the albergue and very good. There are also other places to eat in the town. The albergue has a large shallow pool with sitting benches on either side to soak your tired feet. Very friendl, too. Accommodations were comfortable.

Thank you for all your replies, advice and comments.

I've now got a clearer idea of which albergues would be more preferable, though I am still undecided between Sansol and Torres del Rio. As for where to stop the next night, I'll decide when I get there and see how strong I'm feeling.

Thank you for all your replies, advice and comments.

I've now got a clearer idea of which albergues would be more preferable, though I am still undecided between Sansol and Torres del Rio. As for where to stop the next night, I'll decide when I get there and see how strong I'm feeling.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I much prefer Torres del Rio over Sansol. More choice of where to stay and eat. In Viana we once saw a peregrine falcon being trained, on the high walls overlooking the plain. It was quite magic watching as it swooped and glided over the fields far below, and then returned to ihe falconer.

My wife and I (both 59) had lunch in Sansol, sitting at the top of the town by the church, overlooking Torres del Rio. After looking around a bit, we walked on to Torres. Sansol seemed pretty quiet. Torres del Rio is still a small town, interesting hilly streets, several sleeping options and a unique, very small church that is sometime staffed. The hotel (San Andres) has a good pilgrim meal that the patrons of the nearest hostel (on the camino just up the hill a 100' feet) all seem to come to. Oddly, it was a couple of euro cheaper if you bought your meal ticket at the hostel before you came to the hotel to eat. We heard that the same folks owned both the hotel and hostel. My guess is that more pilgrims overnight in Torres.

We have stayed both in Logrono and Viana (different trips). Either is fine, just different experiences. The old town in Viana is very contained, with the camino going right through it. Beautiful town square with church and hostel. However...the Palacio someone mentioned is where we stayed for a special experience. One of our best nights. 80 euro for 2 with a really extensive buffet breakfast in a beautiful old area of the hotel. Forgot all of our camino aches and pains. Our room look out on the church ruins.

Logrono is just a much larger town, very vibrant at night, a city that isn't overwhelmed by tourists. The central section is old and interesting. Beautiful, huge, cathedral on a very large main square. The first hostel a few blocks after you cross the bridge into town seems to be many pilgrims choice.

In Torres del Rio the La Pata de Oca albergue/hotel is a renovated mansion with a lot of original tile and wood. The bar and restaurant are great. The crew from The Way stayed there, and the owner has lots of stories. Some footage was shot, but it was not included in the film.

http://www.alberguelapatadeoca.es/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love the parochial at Viana. One of my favorite stops.
It's pretty cheap to nab a bus or taxi into Logroño for tapas if that's your pleasure, but plenty of good restaurants in Viana also.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.