• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santa Cristina and her corners

GunnarW

Time of past OR future Camino
2011+ > Spain, Belgium, France
I counted the corners of the old raman church Santa Cristina from pictures and videos I took.
It should be 365.
Started counting from the corner of the door (corner 83) till the half of the church at the opposite direction. I counted 83 corners. Multiply by 2 is 166 corners. Where are the 199 missing corners?
Note: I didn't count the rounded pilars (between 76-77 and 77-78) as a corner.corners-santa-cristina.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, my goodness gracious. Gunnar, this is really something. I guess what you've found by painstaking detailed work is that the caretaker of the church was absolutely correct when she scoffed at the claim that there are 365 corners there. Another urban legend bites the dust. The funny thing is that it's not even close! The hospitalera told me the last time I was there that a lot of people think that there are 365 corners, so I think I will copy your diagram and bring it to her so she can use it as proof!

But no matter how many corners there are, this is another one of those magical pre-romanesque sites. Beautifully located on top of a hill, and well preserved simple majesty inside.

If you walk the Salvador, don't miss it! Buen camino, Laurie

Hello Laurie,

Could it be that if you would count the inner corners too (inside the church), that the result could be 365?
When I passed Santa Cristina, it was till closed and I could only peek through the little window in the main door.

Hello Susanna, if you survived the Puerto de Pajares enigma and you still have the time and the energy.....:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:) Actually I thought this was the inside of the church and wondered if one should count things on the outside too.

I looked to some pictures made in the inside of the church that can be found on Google Images.
At the altar, there seems not to be much corners. More rounded pilars.

Yes, but these pillars are standing on a sqare base.
Maybe you should count them too? :)
Perhaps you get 365 if you count the corners on a floor plan? Then the base of the pillar would be seen as corners too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In Britain it was always considered bad luck to try to count the stones in stone circles. The old stories usually end up with a goblin or something popping up before the count ends...

Must admit when I saw it I was sceptical of the 365 corners story, it just doesnt look enough. Even 199 came as a surprise.

It really is lovely inside although like Gunnar I only peeked through the door. That, Naranco and Santuyanno were the real (non-scenery) highlights for me.

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.