Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santa Eulalia de Boveda

peregrina2000

Staff member
This article comments on the 100th anniversary of the parish priest's discovery of the Roman crypt in Santa Eulalia de Boveda. This amazing place, with many paintings of peacocks, birds, etc, dates, I believe, from the 3rd or 4th century. It is a few km off the Primitivo about 10-12 km outside Lugo.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...rio-joya-arqueologica/0003_201412L14C5991.htm

It is so well worth a visit. And if you go, I learned after I took the detour that you don't have to return the way you came, that there is a marked path to Bacurin (where there is also a pretty little romanesque church in the woods) and continue on the Primitivo from that spot.

I have a memory that some have said on the forum that the visiting hours have been reduced, so it's worth checking in Lugo. When I walked, it opened at 11 am (think it was a Sunday) and I arrived a few minutes early, walked around the village a bit, and right on the dot, it opened at 11.

Highly recommended! Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I do believe that this is a church we went to see, on a Sunday in September, and it was not open. There were people there, but they would not let us in. We wanted to see the paintings and we were with a pilgrim that sang beautiful opera and she was going to sing for us in the church. There ended up being 5 of us who had taken the detour, maybe 2-3 kilometers ,and I noticed an agriculture path and asked the locals about it and they said yes take it and in a short time we were back on the primitivo. We did pass another church..not open either. Oh well, it was a nice walk.

Here's what a quick search brought up on hours:

Winter: Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 14:30; Saturday, Sunday and holidays closed.
Summer: Monday - Friday, 8:30-14:30; Saturday, Sunday and holidays 11-20:00.

SantaEulalia1.jpg SantaEulalia2.jpg

Pretty

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Somehow we missed the turnoff for the detour, but another lady who took it the same day was just as disappointed as us as she arrived to discover the church was closed - despite being told by the man in the Tourist Info in Lugo the previous day that it would be open! It's all part of the journey.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, I would have to agree that even if you have the misfortune of the church being closed, the little detour is still worth it. I think it's always nice to see towns that are a few kms off the Camino, because you can be sure that they are likely to be a lot less affected and "improved" by the market forces of the Camino. At the same time, relative to the article on depopulation I just posted earlier, it's undoubtedly the case that most of these little towns would give a lot to be on the Camino rather than a few kms off it.

The town of Santa Eulalia de Boveda is very tiny and pretty "untouched." Buen camino, Laurie

SantaEulaliapueblo.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.