Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santa Semana 2023

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
Time of past OR future Camino
C.F. 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021
C.P. 2022
I will be on the Inverno during Santa Semana in 2023. I would like to take a day or two off to enjoy whatever Santa Semana has to offer but have no idea which town would be best for this, or which day (Good Friday, Easter, other). My Protestant background provides little guidance. Thanks.

frm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can’t give specific advice wrt the Invierno; but having spent many semana santas in various Spanish cities I’d say:

Monday through Thursday - starts off quiet and gets progressively more busy
Friday - really very busy indeed
Saturday - utterly mad
Sunday - quiet, solemn.

Easter Monday - which, being the day of resurrection* should be the most significant in a religious sense - is a normal working day.

* (I stand corrected. Resurrection is Easter Sunday)

Last edited:
You can try googling some town names with "semana santa". I did that for example with Monforte de Lemos and found this news about Easter 2022. Even very small towns/villages often have smaller but interesting processions. The Thursday evening, Friday and Saturday before Easter Sunday are the big days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the responses. After reading them I’m thinking of spending Friday and Saturday in the same, as yet undecided town. Im looking forward to the festivities. Best.

frm

There is another option that you could consider. If you add in one or two more days, you could just take a train to the nearest large city that has very good celebrations. I spent 3 days in Sevilla during Santa Semana and it was one of the most unforgettable experiences of a lifetime. Not to be missed, even if you have to change the itinerary a bit. It will be crowded, so reserve ahead. But, if you don't mind the crowds, the parades, pageantry, and history are just amazing.

@FRM, while one or more Holy Week processions may take place pretty much in every town and village, Santiago de Compostela is perhaps your best bet if you are in Galicia. Here is their program of their Semana Santa events in 2022 - as far as I know there is little change from year to year. We were in Burgos one year, and it was my impression then that Good Friday is the day of the big procession but there were processions or similar events during the whole week from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday.

BTW, for those not so familiar with it all: Easter Sunday is called Domingo de Pascua or Domingo de Resurrección in Spanish. On the third day and all that ... which may be why Easter Monday is not a public holiday everywhere, for example not in Spain. ☺️

Public holidays in Galicia in April 2023: Thursday 6 April and Friday 7 April. Same as in Castilla y Leon.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@John Sikora , flights fixed so only have 2-3 days to play with (maybe an addition couple of rest days if the Gods smile upon me) so could travel regionally. @Kathar1na ,thanks for the links. An amazing amount going on. I’m questioning my plan to walk the Inverno (would be my first time) and do the Frances again instead. That would provide a number of larger towns to walk through and provide more choice of transportation. Time to dig out the guidebooks!

frm

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back