• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

santaigo to finistere

Sharstef

Time of past OR future Camino
Tui to Santiago 2017
hi
im walking to finistere and muxia in May from Santiago solo
my questions are
is it well marked with yellow arrows
how many pilgrims usually walk this route daily (roughly)
compared with Portugesse coastal route which i did previously
is it very isolated thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Sharstef,

Based on walking the route 2 years ago I'd say you don't have anything to worry about in terms of directions, except annoyingly as you leave Santiago itself where the directions are pretty unclear.

I've not walked the Portuguese so can't give a direct comparison but Santiago to Finisterre is getting busier year on year and it would be unusual to walk more than 5 or 10 minutes without seeing another pilgrim. I last walked Finisterre-Muxia 6 years ago on a very rainy day and barely saw another soul.

Hopefully someone else will come along with slightly more up to dat einfo.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Does anyone have information on returning from Finesterre or Muxia to Santiago - assuming one doesn’t want to walk back? Are there regular trains or busses?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a Finisterre credencial from the Santiago tourist office. We walked on from Santiago to Finisterre during the first week of October 2016.

At that time I would say it wasn't too busy , we probably saw other walkers every few kms. It was pretty well signed. The route on leaving Santiago a bit less well signed but we followed the Brierley map book instructions and that worked.
You can get your Fisterra certificate from the Albergue in Finisterre it opens at lunch time.
We caught an early bus back to Santiago, there are several per day I think. Buy your ticket in advance from the bus company office in Finisterre.

I Can't compare it with the Portuguese coastal route as I've not yet walked that.

Does anyone have information on returning from Finesterre or Muxia to Santiago - assuming one doesn’t want to walk back? Are there regular trains or busses?
There are buses. I think there are more from Finisterre. From Muxia, there are two scheduled. Check in your albergue or the tourist office for the schedule and the bus stop location.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a Finisterre credencial from the Santiago tourist office. We walked on from Santiago to Finisterre during the first week of October 2016.

At that time I would say it wasn't too busy , we probably saw other walkers every few kms. It was pretty well signed. The route on leaving Santiago a bit less well signed but we followed the Brierley map book instructions and that worked.
You can get your Fisterra certificate from the Albergue in Finisterre it opens at lunch time.
We caught an early bus back to Santiago, there are several per day I think. Buy your ticket in advance from the bus company office in Finisterre.

I Can't compare it with the Portuguese coastal route as I've not yet walked that.
I walked to Finisterre and then Muxia last August, the Fisterra certificate is now handed out at the Tourist office, if you want to stay at the Municipal albergue at Finisterre you need stamps from Santiago.
Really well signposted, only tricky bit was heading out of Finisterre towards Muxia,
Hope to go back after finishing the Primitivo, starting !0th or 11th April
Bill.

Thanks for this more recent information Hansel. It just goes to show how quickly things change!

If you want to leave return to Santiago from Muxia take a look at grupoferrin.com. There are two buses per day, one leaving at 7:30 am and the other at 2:30. The trip takes a little over an hour.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did the same end of October 2016. Was clearly marked and at that time not to busy. We finished at Muxia and got a bus back to Santiago from there. We were blessed with an Indian summer to finish off our Camino.

I have walked Santiago to Finisterre several times, twice last year (end of May and first of Oct.) I have only walked the central Portuguese so I can't compare it to the coastal, but the walk to Finisterre was relatively quiet when I walked. There were people in the albergues but the trail wasn't crowded. I believe many more people bus. As for busing back, go to the bus station early as it often fills up. In that case just find a few pilgrims to catch a cab. For four of us it was 15-20 euro a piece and a much shorter trip.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back