• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santander along the coast for 9 days... where can we get?

Laurie McNamee

Hello!

Thank you everyone for your very helpful advice and for sharing your experiences!
Me and my boyfriend will be setting off from Santander on the 5th September, we have 9 days and then have to return to Santander to fly out ;-(

I was just wondering - as we are coming at it very enthusiastically! but with VERY little information or idea of routes, distances, hostels etc. - if anyone could advice us on anything they see fit as being helpful! We would like to walk along the coast as much as possible, but cut in and see some countryside etc. Somebody mentioned walking the E9 at parts instead of the actual Camino...

Any information would be most appreciated!

Also - two more subjects!lol! - is it advisable to book to albergues in advance? The night before or so to guarantee two spaces?
And will it be busy in September? will it be sunny/ rainy?

Thank you heaps in advance! And if you are going to be walking around the same time feel free to PM me!

Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Attachments

• Bild 6.png
    Bild 6.png
    109 KB · Views: 1,447
Hi Laurie
not got too many answers for ya,apart from the fact you can't book Albergues in advance first come first served
the other answers you may find on the way-try not to chase a destination or the experience they will find you,a bit of a Camino answer but true non the less.
hope you both have a great time
if you get the chance please share your journey with us all,I walk the Norte on the 20th sept who knows where I'll finish up.
Ian

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Terry walked this route and beyond in April/May 2009. If you read his blog Walk to Compostela for April-May 2009 it might help you. Also check out Introducing TerryB on this forum. Terry reckons you could possibly get as far as Oviedo, depending on how far you want to walk each day. Along this route you can catch the FEVE train or an ALSA bus back to Santander as both run near the Camino

As Sagalouts sort of says, you don't really need to decide on a destination. You may not have a good idea of how far you will walk each day until you are on the road. You may want to explore some town or building, or take a rest on a sandy beach, or have a day off. And why not? It's a very beautiful part of the world.

Whereever you end up you will be able to get a bus or a Feve train back to Santander.

Instead of a finishing place, have you considered choosing your starting place?

We travelled 'back' to Guernica, which was where we had ended up the year before, from Santander, using a bus to Bilbao, then the little basque railway to Guernica.
We passed through Santander and walked on to San Vicente de la Barquera, where we stopped and caught a bus back to Santander for our booked sailing back to Portsmouth. Our blog (link below) might help a little, although I have not yet gone back and posted extra photos.

Regarding route, there seems to be quite a lot of choice about the Norte. Really you don't need to worry too much, all will become clear on the ground. Call in at the Tourist Office from time to time and collect some of the many leaflets which show routes and list albergues. These will also be available usually at the albergues. The Tourist Information tends to be specific to each region (The Basque country, Cantabria etc) so make sure you stock up when you cross a border.

I doubt you will have a problem with albergues being too full in September. Weather wise, I would expect sun and warmth, but also rain - this IS an Atlantic coast after all.

Finally, I found this website good for routes, mapos, information about towns along the way and places to stay: http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/

if you think we could help with any specific query, do PM us.

enjoy your planning

Can I suggest that you catch the FEVE from Santander to Requejada? That way you avoid kilometers of city suburbs and walking on 'pavamiento'. I seem to remember that there was a seemingly interminable walk down the side of a large pipeline. Getting off the train at the station in Requejada you are actually on the camino and the distance to Santillana (Albergues and Hostals) is only 8.8 kilometers. If you are limited to 9 days, it seems a pity to spend time in the city when the glorious coastline of the Norte awaits you.
If you have any specific questions, either post them here or send me a PM and I will try to help.
This bit of our blog was on time spent on the Norte between Llanes and Ribadesella in 2010.
http://returntothecamino.blogspot.com/s ... results=28

Blessings on your preparation and walking
Tio Tel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We did exactly as Terry said only 5 weeks ago when the rain was pooring down in Santander.
It lasted 2 days
The train to Requejada is 1.65 euros and you have a lovely walk to Santilla .
Don't have to leave too early as the lovely albergue in this beautiful town opens at 4pm.
Early lunch in Santander , train , lovely short walk taking your time and stop for the night.
Next day mate away you go, fresh.
Enjoy the 9 days,
David

Santillana is indeed beautiful. A well preserved mediaeval town, old buildings and cobbled streets and the wonderful collegiate church. The 'new' town with its local shops and supermarket is downhill and about 5minutes walk away if you are looking for supplies.

Agree plus plus about Santillana - we visited the Altamira cave paintings (a short taxi ride or even not long walk away) so enjoyed art from 17,000 years ago there, 8 or 9 hundred years ago in the church and from the last century in the museum for Jesus Ortero (from memory, might have got name wrong) behind which the albergue is situated.

The old town itself is rather too primped and preserved in aspic for the coachloads of tourists for my taste - every shop selling 'antiques' - but in April on the edge of the season it wasn't too bad.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have to admit that my memories of Santillana are from several years ago and it was starting to become more 'touristy' on the last visit. On the first occasion nearly 30 years ago the houses were very much 'lived in' with the cows in the undercroft still in some. There were local artisans working from home and a wonderful bakery, all these were gone on the last visit.
We were able to actually obtain permits to go down the Altamira cave on two occasions before they were closed again - awe insipring. Maybe after our Camino next year we will be able to visit the new museum on our way home.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.