• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santander hostel

crackmrmac

Veteran Member
I know another pilgrim was unfortunate in Santander, but can anyone guide me to a place to stay in Santander. It's for my final night in Spain after my short time on this year's Camino. As far as I can ascertain from bus timetables I think I will be arriving in Santander at 10p.m.
Any ideas?

Regards,

Brian

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Brian,
I can't recommend a hotel but this restaurant has been recommended by pilgrims Restaurant "ZACHARIAS" Take your credential and you will get cheese and wine for free...

Brian,
We booked our stay in Santander through booking.com, excellent booking service and no commission or fees paid to them. Hostal Cado Mayor was the original hostal but because it was full they arranged a nearby hostal for the same price. This hostal is within a few minutes walk from the bus station, in the centre of the town. Our hostal had a resident owner and he was open to late in the night as he lives there.

For your further information Santander is a late night place, dinner starts at 8pm or later. 10 pm arrival probably is not strange for them. The street which Hostal Cado Mayor is situated (Cadiz) is riddled with cheap places to stay. Check with the hostal directly or better still contact booking.com when you request the booking to ensure the hostal will open the door for you if they do not have a 24 hour reception.

Although called a hostal the place we stayed had a private double room, TV, ensuite bathroom, telephone, internet connection, all for 40E for the room. http://www.hostelworld.com is another place to book a room but booking.com has full time office and they will get in touch with you instantly by email or by phone or fax.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OK, many thanks for replies.

I've also discovered I can reach Santander at 3pm if I get 9am bus from Leon via Oviedo. This would give me lots of time to locate & enjoy "ZACHARIAS", as mentioned by sillydoll.

NaKwendaSafari, I've used booking.com before. In santander I'm only finding places available with double room for single use. However I'm not poverty stricken so I'll settle on somewhere eventually.
I see you responded to another post re SIM cards etc. Last year I got a movistar sim card, however it turned out to be a lot of hassle, perhaps due to my complete lack of Spanish and technology! Also it's quite inexpensive to make a call from public phones on street ( well calls to Ireland).

Buen Camino

Brian.

Hi Brian,
Glad to see you have sorted things out, as the bus stop at Santander is surrounded by hotels there should be no problem in getting a place to stay if you arrive at 3pm. There is also a helpful tourist information centre at Santander bus station where they can book a room for you, open I think during the Spanish working hours. If you want to spend another night in an albergue the albergue at Santander is within walking distance of the bus station.

I am glad that my comments were helpful, too often it is shot in flames. I love the word "not poverty stricken" as a lot of comments are on the cost. We found that if we budgeted an extra Euro or two a day over our year planning we had more than enough funds to stay in private hostels or hotels if we found that a night away from the albergue would be good for our souls. Funding therefore is not the reason why one stays in the albergues.

We had our UK Vodafone Mobile on roaming during our trip to Europe, thus was topped up when needed by our UK ATM card in the plentiful ATM windows in Europe, this facility was activated before we left. This was useful when we lost our luggage as the airlines called us whilst we were on the move. Other than that the phone was used mainly for texting. My comments on SIM cards where mainly for those from North America who use the CDMA technology. We found as you did that calling from the plentiful phone booths in Spain was convenient and cheap, it is even cheaper when you use the Telefonica card in the street phones.

I am sure you will find the Camino a fulfilling one with your pragmatic approach.

Kwaheri

I love the word "not poverty stricken" as a lot of comments are on the cost.
I came across the following while reading René Freund's On Foot to the End of the World earlier today; it's certaintly true in my case.

"Most pilgrims come from wealthy countries, because they can afford to seek out an impoverished lifestyle."

(...however I'll hardly continue with that lifestyle.)

Brian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK, thanks for above replies to my original post. So here's how I got on in Santander.
I arrived early on my first morning in Spain. I easily located the hostel for future reference.
Bicycles are available for free rental in Santander, provided by local authority, so I was a carefree tourist for a short while.
After bus journey I briefly "renewed my acquaintance with Santa Domingo" before hiking off to GranĂłn. Arrived there @9pm, last to arrive, and was grateful to receive food for body and soul, plus a mat to sleep on. A fine start to this year's Camino.

On my final evening in Spain, I arrived in Santander @ 7:30pm. Hostel was full, but located a pension for me quite close by. In fact a lady arrived to guide me the short journey. All guest in pension were pilgrims ( all others were starting, so they went to bed early ).
Sil, I located restaurant Zacharias and recieved a friendly welcome. Owner explained "I am the grandmaster"......Confradia del Queso de Cantabria. Later he was to don his official chains. I enjoyed a fine meal, polished off the vino tinto and hey the flan was even nice! And I thought, perhaps we should reward ourselves more often.
Anyway, enough of the talking.

Buen Camino
Brian

P.S. Currently enjoying "To The Field of Stars" by Kevin A. Codd.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back