• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santander to burgos

Stevenlou

Time of past OR future Camino
None
We are planning to use the bus to Burgos hopefully the bus will carry our bikes, then plan overnight in Burgos before we pick up the camino next day. Any e have any input on bikes on buses from santander to Burgos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From the ALSA.com website on the transportation of bicycles:

Transporting bicycles, surfboards or skis has an additional cost, 5 euros for short-distance routes and 10 euros for long-distance routes.

In international services, you are only allowed to carry on bicycles in a Spain-Morocco route and Spain-Portugal route, by booking and paying for this extra service.

Because of the limited space, we admit 4 objects (bicycles and surfboards) total in each coach, one per ticket. They have to be good conditions to travel without causing any damage to other baggage, so it is obligatory for them to be well packaged in boxes or bags suitable for transportation.

You can buy your ticket on our website along with bicycle transportation, indicating it in the box in step 3 of the purchasing process. Tickets with bicycle transportation must be bought one by one, so it's impossible to check this box if you chose 2 or more seats.

If there is no space in the selected coach, this box will be unavailable too.

Once the ticket is bought, the passenger must be there at least 15 minutes before the departure time with the indicated bicycle or surfboard.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Check this out on the Alsa website. https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/alsa-experience/plan-your-journey/luggage

It says “Items (bicycles) should be wrapped for protection during transport”, and that covers are available for 12 euros at the ticket desk. So — assuming this is enforced, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal. No need to disassemble your bike. Just get to the bus station a liittle early, and ask the ticket seller for a cover.

Check this out on the Alsa website. https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/alsa-experience/plan-your-journey/luggage

It says “Items (bicycles) should be wrapped for protection during transport”, and that covers are available for 12 euros at the ticket desk. So — assuming this is enforced, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal. No need to disassemble your bike. Just get to the bus station a liittle early, and ask the ticket seller for a cover.
That was my main concern hoping that its not a big deal with the bikes, like you say early arrival would be best. Thanks for your input.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are rules and then are rules. I biked in 2017, it was a total pain. Transporting a bike on ALSA can be quite capricious depending mainly on the attitude of the bus driver. You need to provide your own plastic bag in most cases, remove your front tire and adjust the handle bars to be in the same plane as the bike. I have been refused boarding in small towns and found leaving large cities much easier.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back