• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santander to Santiago questions

HollyB45

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to attempt in september
Hi all!

I will be starting my 1st Camino in Santander on the 4th of October and have a few questions if anyone is willing to help.

1: how long would it take to walk to Santiago from Santander?

2: hot or cold weather at this time of year?

3: safety tips for a young girl doing her first Camino? Also is it safe?

4: do I have to book hostels before I get to them or can I just show up?

5: is there a better alternative route you could recommend?

Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Holly:- To answer your queries

1: It took me 28 days going via the Primitivo.

2: Be prepared for everything! It will be colder in the mountains warmer on the coast. Most likely wet. You will need a medium weight sleeping bag.

3: Looking at the statistics, you are far more likely to have problems in University in the U.K. than on the Camino - but see 5: below.

4: You may need to check which albergues are open in October see Gronze ( http://www.gronze.com/ ) or one of the other up to date sites.

5: As it will be your first Camino and in view of the possible lack of companionship, maybe you ought to think of the Camino Francés? It is just that you will have far more chance of meeting up with other pilgrims if you are feeling lonely or isolated. The Norte is far more popular now than a few years ago, but you could still find yourself on your own, especially in October.

There will be others with experience of walking in October so the above is only to give you a starter!

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

Last edited:
Hello Holly
I am also planning to walk the Camino del Norte starting from Irun October 8th.Our paths may cross along the way.
Have a great Camino and enjoy it all
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am contemplating the same trip in later April to the 1st part of June. I was hoping to do the walk in 24 days. Do you think I am overly optimistic Terry? I'm am not planning on doing the Primitivo, I thought I would take the coastal route. My age may or may not enter into this, I will be 71 when I begin my trip. For Holly and Me, have a safe and rewarding trip. Buen Camino!
Dan

I am contemplating the same trip in later April to the 1st part of June. I was hoping to do the walk in 24 days. Do you think I am overly optimistic Terry? I'm am not planning on doing the Primitivo, I thought I would take the coastal route. My age may or may not enter into this, I will be 71 when I begin my trip. For Holly and Me, have a safe and rewarding trip. Buen Camino!
Dan

Hi Dan,
I see from my notes that I allowed myself 30 days from Santander to Santiago going via the Norte. I finally went onto the Primitivo as I wanted to visit Oviedo as part of my Pilgrimage. My longest day was 32k and I took a short day (7k) so that I could stay at Bodenaya. I probably averaged 23k. per day. Days needed and daily distances depend on the individual and it is always a personal point of view ;) If you think you need a shorter distance you could skip a bit, either at the beginning by taking the FEVE to say Pendueles (equivalent of 5 days or so walking) and starting there, or visiting Santillana del Mar walking to the coast and then catching the FEVE for the equivalent of 4 or 5 days walking.
Age itself is no barrier :), I was 65 when I first walked. Will be 72 next month and walk easier now than I did back then!!

Buen Camino
Tio Tel

Hi @HollyB45

The Norte may not be the best choice for a first Camino, but I would say the same thing if your were older or were to do the Vía de la Plata. And it has nothing to do with safety. Why? Fewer pilgrims thus less companionship and tougher terrain. In addition many if not all of the pilgrim hostels (Albergue de peregrinos) will be closed at that time - at least if I can extrapolate from my recent research about the Irún - Bilbao stretch which I will do starting on October 6. They close as of September 30. Luckily there are other options such as youth hostels (Albergue Juvenil) or private albergues and pensions. No need to reserve that time of year.

For the weather I would check the forecast but assume that you can expect rain. I am still debating whether to take my sleeping bag but most likely will.

Good luck in deciding.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Holly
I am also planning to walk the Camino del Norte starting from Irun October 8th.Our paths may cross along the way.
Have a great Camino and enjoy it all
Buen Camino
Hi all
Thank you so much for all your help. I will definitely take all of it on board. I'm going to start from Oviedo October 1st and will let you all know how it goes. Hope to see you there Me Fein.

Holly

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.