• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santander to Santillana

Dublingk

Time of past OR future Camino
Irun to Bilbao (2010)
Bilbao to Santander (2014)
Santander to ?? (2018)
Hi folks, returning to Santander in mid August to continue my walk. I understand that my first day, Santander to Santilliana, is a long one with a distance of approx 38 kms but I've read elsewhere on this board about a shortcut over a railway bridge that saves 11 kms.

I cant seem to figure out if this bridge reduces the stage by 11 km from 38 km to 27 km or if 38 km is inclusive of the shortcut. If anyone could clarify id be very grateful!

Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are several stations along the Camino route. You can take the train even in Santander or later and set off whatever station you decide to be enough.
Buen Camino

Thank you Oppis

Could you advise me if I can just take a train from one side of that bridge to the other? What is the station on the Santander side called?

Would that then mean the walking distance for that day from Santander to Santilliana would be approximately 27 kms

I'm really just trying to establish walking distance if I take that shortcut

Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The station on the Santander side of the bridge is Boo de Piélagos and on the other side is Mogro. If you want to give yourself an easy start you could also take the train from Santander all the way to Mogro, skipping the industrial section when walking out of Santander.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Still wondering if anyone can tell me the total distance from santander to Santilliana if i take that bridge crossing. Is it still 38 km or does the bridge reduce it?

Thanks again :)

The train over the bridge between Boo and Mogro reduces abt. two (2 ) kilometres.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
According to Gronze, that 37km is the lenght of the new route. They say the 'bridge' is closed for walkers.

"En 2016 hubo una importante modificación del itineraro: Desde Oruña el camino oficial se dirige ahora directamente a Mar sin subir a Mogro, reduciendo considerablemente la longitud de la etapa. Ya es innecesario cruzar el río Pas por el puente ferroviario para acortar la etapa; además, cruzarlo a pie, como lo hacían muchos peregrinos, está prohibido por motivos de seguridad. "

In 2016 there was an important change in itinerary: Since Oruna, the official camino gor directly to Mar withouth passing by Mogro, considerably reducing the lenght of this stage. it´s not necessary anymore to cross the Paz river by the railway bridge to shorten the stage; actually, crossing it on foot, as many pilgrims did, is prohibited for safety reasons".

Unless you are used to those long distances, I really think it is quite a challenge to walk 37km on the first day, and in a region where is is all asphalt and highways. Maybe consider the train out of santander, or break that stage in two. You can see all accomodation here: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/santander/santillana-mar

I have not walked that route, maybe @trecile can help as she was there recently.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks so much for that. I feel I could just about manage that distance if I really had to but your response and other's above have referred to the terrain being mostly asphalt as well, which I think could make for a pretty unpleasant first day.

I feel a little as if it's cheating but I think I might consider the train option from Santander to Boo and then the walk from there. It's certainly something to think about.

I walked as far as Santander four years ago and it's been in the back of my mind ever since that whenever I returned my first day back was going to be tough! That time has come so I may just have to be realistic and look at breaking the day up or else just grab that train to Boo

Thank you Anamya, Oppis and Luka for your replies. You've been really helpful!

George

I feel a little as if it's cheating but I think I might consider the train option from Santander to Boo and then the walk from there. It's certainly something to think about.

I totally get the sentiment that a train could feel like cheating, but as another pilgrim once told me, "that is between you and your God". Do what you think is best, and there are still pleeenty os kms to be done on foot after that part :)

Another option is to walk everything, but break the stage. Maybe a "warm up" 1st day of 10-15km stopping at Monpia (hotel) or Boo (albergue)? You will then have a 20+km stage on the following day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also, as Oppis mentioned above, you can walk all the way to Boo and get only the 'mini train ride" from Boo to Mogro. Walking from there reduces the walk a bit too.

We took the train from Santander to Mogro. Cost less than two euro, if I remember right. The walk from there to Santillana was, I believe, 21.5 km. For both distance and aesthetics, I'd recommend this, especially for your first day. Also, I recommend you stay at Albergue Convento in Santillana. All two beds per room in a converted convent. Very nice and welcoming place.

Just to throw in another option that avoids the train, avoids the asphalt, and takes you along the gorgeous coast. If you look at the schematic map on gronze, you can see that the camino heads straight west from Santander. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/santander/santillana-mar

If you head east and north, you can hug the coast all the way to a spot north of Boo. You then walk through pine forests and finally into Boo. The next morning you take the train from Boo to Mogro (the train stop is right outside the albergue door) and it’s an easy walk to Santillana del Mar or further on to Alex’s albergue in Caborredondo.

The Santander coastal option is a long day, about 38, but you can break it up as @Nuala did at a casa rural at about the 25 km point.

More information from Dave here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/following-the-coast-from-santander-to-boo.42660/
And I know that the Wise Pilgrim Norte guide includes all of the many gorgeous coastal alternatives that are a stone’s throw from the Camino in distance but a world away from the Camino’s asphalt.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi folks, returning to Santander in mid August to continue my walk. I understand that my first day, Santander to Santilliana, is a long one with a distance of approx 38 kms but I've read elsewhere on this board about a shortcut over a railway bridge that saves 11 kms.

I cant seem to figure out if this bridge reduces the stage by 11 km from 38 km to 27 km or if 38 km is inclusive of the shortcut. If anyone could clarify id be very grateful!

Thank you

I do not remember the exact location of the train crossing but it is sometime after Santa Cruz de Bazana. The actual bridge is only about 70 meters long. Not dangerous, imo. I do not think it cut much time off the days walk. That said, I do not remember this being a difficult day.

I believe I posted pictures of the bridge as we walked across. Many people do take the train versus crossing the bridge. I am not recommending one way or the other. Just stating what I did on my walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.