Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Santander to Villaviciosa

TerryB

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
I walked from the ferry at Santander on the Camino del Norte and then on to the Primitivo, in April and May 2009. My "blog" has a few photos that fit in here. This is the appropriate link.

http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html

walk well and safely
Tio Tel

JoyAnderson

Greetings Terry,
I will be walking the Del Norte and Oviedo in June and July 2011, my biggest concerns are what is the weather like in June/July will I hopefully be missing the holiday crowds, are our guiding yellow arrows in place and are there albergues en route. I have read such negative blogs and reports on the arrows and albergue situation. Regards Joy :?:

TerryB

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
Hi Joy,
Welcome to the Forum! I had no difficulties finding accomodation in May last year. Others that I walked with stayed in different albergues and seemed to find things O.K. Have a look round the posts that are already here. You will find that differences of opinion on albegues etc. tend to be subjective rather than objective, which accounts for some negative remarks on various blogs. There were one or two places where the arrows were unclear. Maybe someone who walked this year will have updates. Later in the year if you still have questions a PM to me will get any answers that I have.

Blessings on your preparation!
Terry

Hugh McMullan

Hi
I finished the Norte/Primitivo end of June 2010 and had 5 really bad wet days on the primitivo where the mountains flooded. I think however this was unusual. RThe waymarking is now excellent and lots of helpful yellow arrows. The number of pilgrims travelling increased after Lugo to about 30 but before then it was usually between 12-20. The weather on the Norte was pleasant....not too hot but good enough to look forward to a beer at the end. I am making a movie of this trip and will finish it shortly.
You WILL enjoy this route and it is definitely on two unique trails

A

AJ

I finished the Primitivo mid July this year and had mostly good weather. I never had a problem with accomodation, though some of the Albergues did fill up by late afternoon.

This is an excellent route which I will probably do again.

viajero

I walked last year (2009) on a portion of this route (from Irun to Oviedo). I believe I started on June 24th and walked three weeks. The weather was gorgeous...sunny clear and warm but not too hot. There were a few cloudy days with some light rain as well but mostly it was perfect. As the previous poster said, I always found a place to stay at the albergues but a few of the smaller albergues did fill up. Also, some of the municipal albergues did not open until July. I never had a problem finding a place to stay though.

Advertisement

Booking.com