• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santarem to Fatima to Tomar?

Camino2014

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Piémont, Frances, Littoral, Norte, Ingles (completed) Baztan, St. Jaume, Portuguese (planned!)
Hi all,

I am planning on walking to Fatima from Santarem but I have not been able to find any information on stages...

I would like to walk to Fatima in 2-3 days and then rejoin the Caminho at Tomar. Could you please give me a list of stages (with accommodation options) for this route?

Thank you very much, Obrigado e Feliz Natal!

Camino2014

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try these links as well www.xacobeo.fr/ and www.caminho.com.pt/ The first link takes you to a French website, if you go the Portugal option it will lead to various sources of info for the Portuguese routes, there is relevant info on Fatima and even a little bit on the option of walking to Tomar from Fatima(29km). The second link leads you to the Amigos for the Fatima route, they are very helpful, the main contact used to be a Rodrigo Cerqueira, he is working in Germany now but you should still get a response.

From my own experience I met an Italian guy who had walked this way when I was on the CP, he said it was OK but cannot remember him saying if it was marked or not- I Imagine if it is then it is very infrequently.

Bom Caminho

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

I am planning on walking to Fatima from Santarem but I have not been able to find any information on stages...

I would like to walk to Fatima in 2-3 days and then rejoin the Caminho at Tomar. Could you please give me a list of stages (with accommodation options) for this route?

Thank you very much, Obrigado e Feliz Natal!

Camino2014
Mario @ the Santarem Hostel will be a great resource. From Santarem onwards, follow the BLUE arrows towards Fatima. Connect w/ Mario and he most likely will be assisting you as he is a most gracious host.
Some pilgrims that I've met took the bus from Fatima to Tomar and joined the Caminho Santiago from there - YELLOW arrows.
in Tomar - the Hostel Tomar 2300 on Rua Serpa Pinto (or something like that) is central and quite nice w/ kind hosts. Can be very noisy at times/nights, depending of the other groups they host.
Bom Caminho

Hi Camino 2014
People from www.caminho.com.pt site have all information and will help you on your walk from Santarem to Fatima.
However, the maps after Fátima (north exit) will you lead you to Coimbra, meaning a big detour on the original Caminho Portugues.
If you just want to visit Fátima and keep the original Caminho de Santiago, there are alternatives like Bus from Santarem or Tomar that in one day you will isit Fatima and return back to the orginal track.
Let me know if need any further help.
Bom Caminho
Mario

I planned to walk to Fatima from Santarem, then to Tomar but changed my mind as I wanted to stay with the few pilgrims who I was meeting up with at the stops. I also decided to walk all the way to SdC then stop in Fatima on the way back to Lisbon by bus. I didn't want to take the day off for the side trip from Santarem or Tomar by bus. If you want to do that though, I suggest the day break would be better from Tomar after several long days of hiking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back