• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Airport Catering £££££££

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Just had a thought to share - the only food available at Santiago airport is horrendously expensive.

At London Gatwick airside I usually spend £3 on a sandwich, drink and fruit to take on the plane (thanks Boots Meal Deal!), last time I was at Santiago it was EUR17 for the same in the cafeteria (not even table service).

You may want to bring something with you, especially if flying budget airlines and you won't get free food on the plane.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can you take your own drink onboard? At our airports we can't get it through security.
At all London airports there is shopping airside so you've already done security. So you have to ditch (or neck) your old water and buy new, which is a bit silly. But it's more or less free on the meal deal. Most people flying Ryanair or Easyjet buy food in Boots to take on board. There is a massive meal deal section!
Santiago the catering is landside I seem to remember, but I just wanted to point out the horrible prices. You could just eat a good breakfast!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
At all London airports there is shopping airside so you've already done security. So you have to ditch (or neck) your old water and buy new, which is a bit silly. But it's more or less free on the meal deal. Most people flying Ryanair or Easyjet buy food in Boots to take on board. There is a massive meal deal section!
Santiago the catering is landside I seem to remember, but I just wanted to point out the horrible prices. You could just eat a good breakfast!
My flight leaves SDC at 1.35pm for Madrid and then on to London...will take a packed lunch!...although Iberia might feed us!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But at least they have real coffee and not the IMHO vile stuff from that big multinational with the green logo and the underpaid and weary looking staff...

I agree about the coffee :) The food at the Santiago airport may be more expensive, but it's very good. My flights out of Santiago have always been very early in the morning and I always look forward to breakfast there.

I agree about the coffee The food at the Santiago airport may be more expensive, but it's very good. My flights out of Santiago have always been very early in the morning and I always look forward to breakfast there.

Exactly. When I came back last friday my flight was early too so I had some breakfast there. A good quality croissant , a café con leche and a very good yoghurt naranja/ chocolate. Ok, 9 €. But like I said : the vile coffee from the multinational logo at Brussels Airport costs 5 €.

I just felt a bit aggrieved because at Santiago airport there aren't options, if you didn't want to use the main airport cafeteria, you'd have to gnaw on a giant Toblerone bar from the gift shop! A good compromise would be to enjoy the coffee, but bring your own sandwich.

Can you take your own drink onboard? At our airports we can't get it through security.
You just have to buy on the inside at elevated prices. Or else wait until on board and that great Qantas or Emirates service kicks in. Enjoy your camino my Amigas!

No need to pay for water. Take an empty bottle through security and fill it at a drinking fountain or sink.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We British don't like to spend £9.99 on a flight to Europe only to waste EUR6 on a sandwich.
TOTALLY understandable. Also when you spend AUD$ 1,700 you need to save every penny/dollar/pound/ and euro.
Kanga and I are chuffed that by flying British Airways to Madrid and we both want to go to London after Spain, that we got our Spain/London flights free...even my SDC one, as they all go through London.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When are you in Londres?
I will be with family in the UK for 5 weeks from 18/5, Kanga a little after though her better half will be there earlier. My family live in Bucks, Gerrards Cross and so will be around and about, looking after grandkids, sightseeing I London and elsewhere etc etc, then a tour of the UK before be go home on the 18th June...busing not walking lol. Kanga is going off to the Baltic with her man! If you pay that much for tickets, you make the most of your European sojourn!

TOTALLY understandable. Also when you spend AUD$ 1,700 you need to save every penny/dollar/pound/ and euro.
Kanga and I are chuffed that by flying British Airways to Madrid and we both want to go to London after Spain, that we got our Spain/London flights free...even my SDC one, as they all go through London.
Free flights would be nice , we are over AUD $2000 (Each) - We have Geraldton (Western Australia) to Perth, Perth to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Madrid and chuck in the Santiago de Compostella back to Madrid. Madrid train and flights out of HK to Phuket are also additional. Would be so much easier to just "pop" over

Last edited:
Free flights would be nice , we are over AUD $2000 (Each) - We have Geraldton (Western Australia) to Perth, Perth to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Madrid and chuck in the Santiago de Compostella back to Madrid. Madrid train and flights out of HK to Phuket are also additional. Would be so much easier to just "pop" over
Well, we were lucky that, because we both wanted to spend time in the UK after our Camino that the regular flight by British Airways go to Madrid via London. They also allowed me to book from SDC back to London. Worth knowing for the future. My husband is flying Singapore Airlines to London and back and the cost would be about the same.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.