• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Airport - No walking poles allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryans

Just returned from the Camino. We were not allowed to carry our folded down walking poles that we had in our back pack hand luggage on to the plane despite being able to take these through other airports. Luckily they were not expensive but be warned.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I had the same experience last year. I decided to check my backpack instead of leaving the pole in Santiago. I thought later that I could have faked a limp and used the pole as a cane. I believe they will let you take them on the plane if they are "necessary".

I just flew out of Santiago on Ryanair on May 15th and had my folded down hiking pole in a pouch hooked to the outside of my pack. They let me pass without any problems.
I guess they do whatever each day. They gave me more trouble with a souvenir owl dressed like a pigrim I bought. I had to unpack my backpack for it.

Bea

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For some reason, Santiago seems to have a real problem with walking sticks....no other international airport has such a consistent denial. They must have a huge collection of sticks they have confiscated..hmmm wonder what is done with them.

It is particularly bad that they seem to be attacking the very basic element of their city's heritage.

grayland said:
For some reason, Santiago seems to have a real problem with walking sticks....no other international airport has such a consistent denial. They must have a huge collection of sticks they have confiscated..hmmm wonder what is done with them.

It is particularly bad that they seem to be attacking the very basic element of their city's heritage.

Agreed ...

I broke my stick over my knee before I gave it to the knucklehead who said I couldnt pass with it.

If one wanted to perpetrate an attack on an airplane with a makeshift weapon, given a choice between a walking stick or a simple pen, which would they choose?

The sheer size of the walking stick would limit the element of surprise as an offense is about to occur. It is unwieldy as a weapon, thus easier for a potential victim and assisting passengers to defend against. The damage that a walking stick could potentially inflict on a victim is limited. This is a terrible thought, but a forceful jab of a pen into someone’s neck or other area of the body could be far more effective in inflicting harm.

Sometimes the less obvious should be of more concern. In the horrific "9/11" 2001 attacks on US airplanes, small hand held box cutters were the weapon of choice.

I have not been allowed to carry a walking stick on airplanes in Santiago, Malaga, Madrid and Atlanta. No one ever took exception to the pens in my possession.

Sometimes rules are not established in the manner that the logic of rational minds might dictate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On a more light-hearted note, in summer 2007, one enterprising pilgrim had checked in his pole - and it arrived at Barcelona shell intact!

Mike

Attachments

• Santiago 2007 03 016a (Custom).jpg
    Santiago 2007 03 016a (Custom).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,820
Security let us bring a folded pole through on the flight from Madrid but, on the return, it was refused. However we went back out and Ryan Air checked the pole without charge :D . It did arrive in Madrid and we saw a couple of other poles that also had been checked.

So am I to understand if you check it in you will be fine but if you try to carry it on board there could be a problem?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, you can always check poles; it is getting them into an aircraft cabin that sometimes is a problem. The security policy is inconsistently followed.

It's always six of one, half a dozen of the other. I was able to get a very large bottle of sunscreen on board my flight home in 2007 in Spain, where there had recently been a thwarted ETA bombing in Logrono & while the airport & security were still on high alert. Yet, when I had to go through security again in Newark, I was told it was "too large" & therefore had to be confiscated "for my safety."

In Seattle, I very often forget to take out my plastic baggie for "separate screening." Once I got caught & got a severe talking to. Several other times, nothing is ever said. And I honestly did forget each of those times, since I specifically put that "Plastic Baggie of Safety" right on top in my carry-on so I can snag it easily.

So, no walking sticks, no "dangerous" shampoos or sunscreens unless they are 3 oz or less & secured by a zip-loc plastic baggie, but oh, what's this? lighters & matches, no problemo!

And those in charge of security wonder why we laymen & women think it's all just a damn joke.

Kelly

If you wrap your poles and knife and send it through bag check special services, it will go through no proble,. Special services is where people take their bikes, etc.

Bev

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would humbly suggest that if you have luggage going into the hold then put your walking poles in with it. Never had a need for poles whilst checking in and out of airports ;)
If you only have 'cabin' luggage then most telescopic poles will fit inside and if you wrap them in a jumper or pair of trousers etc inside your luggage you should not experience any problems.

It really is common sense not to try and walk onto a plane with a stick unless you need one for medical reasons. It is not a just a matter of how easy or not it can be used as a weapon - there is the issue of it causing an obstruction or another passenger injuring themselves on it.Compensation claims on flights are increasing drastically.

If in doubt check with the airline and airport beforehand.

PC

We didn't take walking sticks with us, we bought them when we arrived.

On the way home we flew from Santiago to Dublin with Aer Lingus, they wouldn't let us take the sticks on the plane but checked them in for free.

From Dublin it was Ryanair to Manchester, I bet you can guess they wouldn't let us on board with them or check them in for free.

They wanted 50euros to check them in.

I had become very attached to my stick and almost sobbed when it had to be left in Dublin.

the debate and uncertainty regarding the carriage of poles caused me some distress in my planning stages
and not wanting to leave it to chance at check-in
i stripped my poles down to their 3 individual components
and stuck the sharp ends inside my trusty crocs, one shoe each end
and then put them inside my backpack
no problem, no debate, no anxiety
so - another good reason to carry crocs on the camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Has anyone here ever had sticks refused if they are collapsed and carried inside the pack? Just wondering for next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back