• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Airport

Harland2019

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April/May 2019, CF May 2022
My plane out of Santiago Airport leaves at 06.25 which will, of course, require me to be there at least 2 hours before i.e. 04.25. I like to be at airports well in advance so normally I would be looking to get there an hour earlier i.e. 03.30. As a consequence in view of the time it would take me to get from Santiago to the airport, I am considering having a late meal in Santiago and then going straight to the airport. Two questions:-
1) Is the airport open at that time of the night and does it allow passengers to stay there until morning?
2) Is it easy to find a taxi late at night to get me to the airport?
Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My plane out of Santiago Airport leaves at 06.25 which will, of course, require me to be there at least 2 hours before i.e. 04.25. I like to be at airports well in advance so normally I would be looking to get there an hour earlier i.e. 03.30. As a consequence in view of the time it would take me to get from Santiago to the airport, I am considering having a late meal in Santiago and then going straight to the airport. Two questions:-
1) Is the airport open at that time of the night and does it allow passengers to stay there until morning?
Thanks
I would think wherever you have dinner will be able to call a taxi for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might consider getting late bus to airport and asking driver to let you off at Lourenza. It’s an official bus stop.

Casa Lourenza is at the roundabout entrance to airport.

You won’t get anything like a menu del dia here even at lunchtime.

Enjoy a final few moments of contemplation and then walk to terminal!

Edit: There is good food available.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks everyone, I can normally find these things through Google but failed this time.

I have been on that 6:25 am flight - twice. And in both times, the airport was mostly empty - other than some passengers, airport staff, and security. I know that getting there well in advance adds some comfort, but this is a local small airport - not like Madrid, Heathrow, or Charles Degraw. Two hours in advance is plenty. In both cases, I just asked the hotel I was staying in to call me a cab. The ride to the airport is very short. Good luck.

Thanks
I have been on that 6:25 am flight - twice. And in both times, the airport was mostly empty
I too don't think you have to worry much about crowds at that time. I always would rather fly than take the train to Madrid as it is alot faster and about the same price and twice it was cheaper. Are you flying within Spain to get a connecting flight? Or within the EU? I have brain freeze now and cannot remember the requirements for when you need to check into a domestic or EU flight. In the US and in Mexico where I live it is only an hour. If you are not checking your backpack and you have a boarding pass can't you skip the check in line completely? Anyway I am getting old and forgetful so I could be wrong about everything.
Buen Camino home

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks
Well, admittedly it was Seville Airport but I crashed out on one of their benches while waiting for my early flight!

Thanks
It is a tiny airport. No need to be there early. Spaniards would not be there more than an hour before. Honestly, it is TINY! There is a bus to the airport but not sure if it's 24 hours a day.

I too don't think you have to worry much about crowds at that time. I always would rather fly than take the train to Madrid as it is alot faster and about the same price and twice it was cheaper. Are you flying within Spain to get a connecting flight? Or within the EU? I have brain freeze now and cannot remember the requirements for when you need to check into a domestic or EU flight. In the US and in Mexico where I live it is only an hour. If you are not checking your backpack and you have a boarding pass can't you skip the check in line completely? Anyway I am getting old and forgetful so I could be wrong about everything.
Buen Camino home
I am flying out of the EU (just to the UK!) but would need to check in my rucksack as it is too big to take on board and will have a penknife, walking pole, etc. inside. Thanks, everyone, I just need to make a decision, might leave that until the last day and decide then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks
I did the thing. I slept on a bench at the airport. A little uncomfortable but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss the flight and it was less mental stress.

I am flying out of the EU (just to the UK!) but would need to check in my rucksack as it is too big to take on board and will have a penknife, walking pole, etc. inside. Thanks, everyone, I just need to make a decision, might leave that until the last day and decide then.
I was there 2 weeks ago flying back UK. U can find out bus schedule from tourist INFO, v helpful with English. Closer stop is about 500 m from info center, first stop after terminal at train station. Bus almost 30 minutes with v light traffic. It serves as local bus as well making frequent stops. Once u know schedule, u can decide bus or taxi. Find out your check in counter and stay close. Young adult Spaniards come late but all at once and they do join friends in queue at all airports. Speak up if u feel comfortable. Show up 2 hrs ahead is plenty to avoid crowds (in low season, as my one person counter took care 3 flights at the same time).

I was there 2 weeks ago flying back UK. U can find out bus schedule from tourist INFO, v helpful with English. Closer stop is about 500 m from info center, first stop after terminal at train station. Bus almost 30 minutes with v light traffic. It serves as local bus as well making frequent stops. Once u know schedule, u can decide bus or taxi. Find out your check in counter and stay close. Young adult Spaniards come late but all at once and they do join friends in queue at all airports. Speak up if u feel comfortable. Show up 2 hrs ahead is plenty to avoid crowds (in low season, as my one person counter took care 3 flights at the same time).
BTW, some chairs have individual hand hold, easy to lie upon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back